Resource icon

Charged Spring Tail - Scrapped 2.2 Fang Spin Ability

FuriousFox

AKA FuriousFox
Back in February 2017, we were discussing character abilities in #srb2dev, especially Fang's. By this point, the spring tail and pop gun had already been implemented, but there were some concerns that the pop gun was too powerful. We had discussed a few alternatives, such as giving him the ability to slide under small gaps (or trip before sliding) or just giving him a spindash (I mean, there's no pre-existing content to suggest that he can't), but didn't feel like they fit Fang's character all that well.

Around this time I was browsing the Releases board and came across ManimiFire's Charge Jump lua script. It gave me an idea for something we could try. So I modified his script to create a prototype of my idea.

The basic idea is that Fang can charge his spring tail to jump as high as blue, yellow, and red springs. At the time, his double-jump spring tail ability was much weaker and took several bounces before it would reach the height it does today. I saw the charged spring tail as a way to give Fang an initial burst of height to use in conjunction with his double-jump ability.

Ultimately, we decided to stick with the pop gun since we felt it was the best fit for Fang's character. The spring tail later got buffed after complaints that it was hard to design levels around its low initial bounce height, which mostly fixed the reason for needing the charged spring tail in the first place.

(While I did not ask for Manimi's permission at the time of the script's creation, I have received permission for this release.)

Supporters / CoAuthors

Attachments

• VL_ChargedSpringTail-v1.lua
    2.6 KB · Views: 1,406
  • srb20033.gif
    srb20033.gif
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,363
  • srb20038.gif
    srb20038.gif
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,482
  • srb20040.gif
    srb20040.gif
    7 MB · Views: 846
  • srb20041.gif
    srb20041.gif
    2.6 MB · Views: 794
Last edited by a moderator:
I have an issue with this script,the charged spring tail doesn't work when Super.
You hear a Spring sound the one that Fang does but then Fang would stay completely still untill the Super wears off and then when he goes back to normal Fang unleashes the Charged Spring Tail

why couldn't you have had both?
This ability literally makes Nacks emblem in AGZ that much more easier to collect.

Well...

why couldn't you have had both?
This ability literally makes Nacks emblem in AGZ that much more easier to collect.
Because everytime I transform to Super as Fang and try to charge that Spring Tail I will get stuck on place and Fang will not move until all the rings are drained out,so until I either reset or just wait until all my rings are consumed,then Fang would do the Spring Tail just about when he goes back to normal he will be ejected by the Spring Tail.
So in a nutshell I charge the Spring Tail as Super and Fang gets stuck until the transformation ends :(

attachment.php

Attachments

• srb20005.png
    srb20005.png
    9.8 MB · Views: 4,661
might be a lua conflict. See if this still happens after getting all 200 emblems.

Last edited:
It seems that upon using the spring tail, directionchar will break... its not game breaking but its kinda annoying.

Last edited:
Is there a reason this addon locks players into the legacy camera mode? It did the same thing in the previous version too.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back