Any games you're experiencing for the first time that released a long time ago?

Castlevania Lament of Innocence, I'm really enjoying this game, It's got large maze-like levels full of items to look for, hidden areas and boss battles, and optional areas to explore. The music is kickass too, with some very catchy tracks. it's biggest issue is the copy-pasted rooms, it works in the 2D games but not here, it's a shame because I really like the themes of the levels but when I notice the same room re-used more than 3 times it takes me out of it.

The Combat is fun and engaging, you got your short 1 target attack and long wide range attack for crowd control, and you learn more moves and techniques as you level up your character. My favorite moves are air-kick and side-jumps, and when you combine them with sub-weapons you can easily take out the toughest enemies in only 4 attacks or less.

Platforming is kind of awkward because of the camera, for some reason they decided to use fixed cameras for most of the game's sections, it works for the fighting sections and it's helpful there because you get to see all enemies surrounding you so it doesn't feel cheap when you get attacked but it makes platforming imprecise and irritating, the camera never seems to face the right direction of your jumps and the whip keeps missing grappling targets. This is the 2nd most obvious issue in the game and is apparent right away when the game introduces you to these mechanics in the first area of the game.

Listen to this beauty.

Earlier this year, I finally played Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. I had to take it in short bouts because the camera gave me pretty nasty motion sickness. I have to say that I liked Sonic Adventure (Director's Cut) much better, in terms of story, setting, characters, tone, and gameplay. That said I ended up enjoying the emerald hunt levels more than I expected and they were probably my favorite part of the game.

If I ever manage to put my switch down for a while, I'll jump into Generations, Colors, and Lost World. Unleashed and Black Knight were the last 3d Sonic games I ever played, so I've been meaning to fill that gap, even if the games are pretty average.

Earlier this year, I finally played Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. I had to take it in short bouts because the camera gave me pretty nasty motion sickness. I have to say that I liked Sonic Adventure (Director's Cut) much better, in terms of story, setting, characters, tone, and gameplay. That said I ended up enjoying the emerald hunt levels more than I expected and they were probably my favorite part of the game.
I'll be honest, I've always contended that SA2 is hot garbage and pretty much everything about it is worse from SA1. As for the emerald hunt levels, I thought the map designs were fine, but the mode itself is botched by the fact that you can no longer locate each shard independently from one another.

Generations is admittedly a little overrated, but it's fine. I can't speak for Lost World, but I've heard lots of good things about Colors.

I'll be honest, I've always contended that SA2 is hot garbage and pretty much everything about it is worse from SA1.
I'd argue they're both pretty awful. The difference is that SA1 is an experimental train wreck while SA2 refines it and polishes it. This means that while SA2 is a more consistent game and has less unforgivably awful segments like Big and Amy, SA2's good segments aren't as good as when SA1's actually doing things right. We tend to remember the extremes more than the average, so people remember the good parts of SA1 fondly while SA2 tends to be more forgettable. Of course we also remember the bad parts of SA1 a lot more strongly, too.

I'd argue they're both pretty awful. The difference is that SA1 is an experimental train wreck while SA2 refines it and polishes it.
If "refining and polishing" meant making the actual physics and camera less broken, then I might give it that much credit. In some ways it actually plays even worse.

This means that while SA2 is a more consistent game and has less unforgivably awful segments like Big and Amy, SA2's good segments aren't as good as when SA1's actually doing things right. We tend to remember the extremes more than the average, so people remember the good parts of SA1 fondly while SA2 tends to be more forgettable. Of course we also remember the bad parts of SA1 a lot more strongly, too.

No, personally SA2 always pissed me off more than SA1. Like, Amy and E102y weren't even that bad and I was fine with most of the sidemodes, but what always irritated was being shoehorned between three different modes in SA2's campaigns, and it's a terrible design choice. At least in SA1 you get a tight experience by playing one character all the way through, and you don't have to worry about Big's stupid bullshit until you feel like 100%ing the game. There's also a better spread of gameplay in SA1, where Sonic's campaign has the most content and every character which strongly deviates from his playstyle has progressively less campaign time to deal with. Yeah, Big is stupid, but at least you only have to plod around as him for like fifteen or twenty minutes and you're done. Even discounting all that, SA2 is simultaneously less interesting and also more frustrating from its level design and from the changes to emerald hunting's mechanics. So when the levels I want to play aren't even as fun as they were in the predecessor, that's a serious problem.

I realize we're arguing over which is the bigger turd though, so I digress.

Finished Lament of Innocence, and man what a game this was, it has it all, great music, fun combat, and ridiculous early 2000s voice acting, shame it was so short. I'll probably try Curse of Darkness next.

Lately I've been playing through the Ace Attorney games through the HD re-release on Steam.

I do own the first game on the DS, but I only played through the first three cases back then, and I never played any of the sequels.

I finished the first game now, and I'm currently playing through Justice For All.

I loved the Ace Attorney games! It's like reading Sherlock Holmes except you're actually allowed to (and expected to) figure everything out yourself just by paying close attention.

I played them on the Switch while taking a break from my Wargroove custom campaign. I only stopped halfway through the third game because I wanted to save some for later and was worried I'd never get around to finishing the custom campaign if I kept playing.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back