Contest Discussion

I do have a question, Single Player entries only being allowed one level equates to only one map, right? In other words, level = map, rather than level = zone, right?

Yeah. I mean, Greenflower Zone Act 3 is a separate level to Greenflower Zone Act 2, for example. And not just because GFZ3 is a boss level.

Count me in. I'll be sure to bring something unique to the table alongside the person I'm working with!

Well, I know what I'm going to d-

Sees the 3MB file limit.

Checks the size of a certain Flat.

It's 4MB.

...Okay, I can't use that, then.

FYI the filesize limit is only for music. Other types of media (textures, graphics etc.) get compressed by being in a PK3 so it doesn't matter as much. However, if you have large textures with repeated areas, try breaking them up into separate patches and using TEXTURES to procedurally build them. You can use textures as flats now, so there's pretty much no need to ever use flats again.

I do have a question, Single Player entries only being allowed one level equates to only one map, right? In other words, level = map, rather than level = zone, right?
To expand on this, if I try to make a stage that's way too big for the game to handle (harder in v2.2?), trying to be cute and split the single act across multiple MAPxx maps (using some silly custom exit configuration) is explicitly forbidden?

big sev said:
Once the voting period is over, the votes will be counted and the results will be made public as soon as possible.
User criticism (such as long essays on design) rides with my thread in the voting subforum, or should comments on design be done separately in the contest discussion thread?

Last edited:
Nice the return of OLDC

Despite how cool this is, I won't be able to take part because "I am a filthy Mac user."

To expand on this, if I try to make a stage that's way too big for the game to handle (harder in v2.2?), trying to be cute and split the single act across multiple MAPxx maps (using some silly custom exit configuration) is explicitly forbidden?

Correct, it has to be a single map slot.

User criticism (such as long essays on design) rides with my thread in the voting subforum, or should comments on design be done separately in the contest discussion thread?

The voting threads are private. There will be a discussion thread when the voting period begins, which is where everyone is free to give criticism and feedback as they wish. Think of it as the same thing as the old OLDC threads, but the votes aren't visible.

srb20255.gif

2nd map, this time arena.

Is it possible to make maps on Android?
Maybe with Exagear...?
I wish there was a android app that can make SRB2 mods... But yet, I think nobody cares about such a thing...
Even thought if I could make a map, I think I couldnt make a good one...
Well I think I will install Exagear again and try to run the map making software, but feel free to stop me.

After some discussion on Discord this morning, I think this needs a bit of clarification on the MB, where everyone can see it:
Match (with support for SRB2 Battle's Control Point and Diamond in the Rough gametypes)
Capture the Flag (with support for Battle CTF)
What exactly does this mean???? Is the focus Ringslinger but your map must also support the Battle modes? Optionally support the Battle modes? Can you enter a map that works solely in Battle with no regard for Ringslinger?

If the intent (as it seems to be) is to lump the vanilla Ringslinger gametypes with the Battle gametypes in one division, I strongly urge you to reconsider and split these into separate divisions before it's too late. These are very different gamemodes, and I can only assume the quality of maps in either gametype would go down if mappers try to accommodate both. And if mappers decide to focus on one or the other, then we have no meaningful way of comparing a Ringslinger map to a Battle map if they're in the same division.

If the concern is that having each of these modes in separate categories would create too many divisions, I would agree with that, and would like to bring the idea of seasonal divisions back up. e.g., one season has Ringslinger Match and Battle CTF, the next season has Battle CP and Ringslinger CTF, etc., or any other form of splitting these up. This sort of system would be more flexible (if there are any hot new gametypes on the market we can just swap them in on the next contest), and encourage mappers+players to try different gamemodes that they might not have focused on otherwise.

Last edited:
Why not have a Ringslinger division and a Battle division instead of Match/CTF? Splitting the categories up by their core gameplay makes more sense than by whether flag capturing is involved or not.

srb20262.gif

I cannot be stopped

...Also, holy shit the oldc is powerful enough to bring Ezer back

Last edited:
Man more oldbies are comin back, as if this was a reunion or somethin

Anyways, time for me to get my first vanilla srb2 level done, after makin a kart pack for the last few months
srb20088.gif

I was working in a kind of level called Nyctophobia
where there's only a simple rule...
Don't be in the darkness for too long, or else you will die...

I do plan on submitting a map of mine to the Single Player division. The map is called Midnight Factory Zone and I do remember showing some previews on the Discord page one time.

WAIT! OLDC is back? Let me get the fireworks ready. ^^

The fireworks were the best fucking part of the contest. I dreamt of the days when I'd see those fireworks again... I can't believe it's actually happening...!

I'm real excited to see what everyone makes! I'm not gonna be entering this one, and maybe not even the next one(s) because I barely have time to visit the forums. Maybe one day I'll find the spare time to make an entry.

I do still disagree with removing the out-of-ten scoring system. You can't have any fun statistical data (average score for each division, standard deviations of scores, all-time-highest scores, etc) with the weirdo rank-your-favorite system.

Ah yes, very informative message.
unknown.png

(FYI, your attachments aren't visible, the attachment links you have go to a private, unaccessable page)
Try uploading it to, like, Discord, and send the image link from there.

Looks great. Might want to make the terrain a bit slope-ier, since compared to arid canyon zone your map looks a little flat.

Maybe it could do with more decorative slopes, I just wanted to avoid using them too much since they tend to be more favorable to spin characters.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back