Resource icon

Radicalicious

eternal swagularity
My first character mod. I've been working on this for a while, and i'm pretty proud of it. It's still not 100% complete, and there are many known bugs, but I think I've gotten it to a pretty playable state. I present to you...

Spyro The.. uhh.. Hedgehog?

Yep, it's a Sonic recolor. Not because I submit bad recolors and pass them off as content, but because I have no idea how to sprite. This 'dragon' has his moveset from the original PS1 game. He can...

Charge:
If you press Spin, you will begin to charge. While charging, you will go faster, and be able to pop monitors and certain enemies. You don't jump as high while charging, though.

Flame:
When you press the Custom 1 button, you will spit out flames from your mouth. These flames can hurt certain types on enemies, and is the #1 Eggman Repellent in Mobius. Keep in mind that you can't flame underwater, and if you try, Spyro just coughs up some bubbles.

Glide:
Unlike Knuckles, Spyro's glide does not kill enemies. When you glide, you can press the Custom 2 key in midair to come to a complete stop, and fall down. You can also charge out of a glide to keep momentum.

Supercharge:
If you charge while you have Super Sneakers, you will blast off at the speed of stupid. You can use this to perform some neat slope jumps.

Invincibility:
While invincible, you turn dark red, mimicing his untouchable colors from the original game.

KNOWN BUGS:
Very sharp turning while charging, charging on a conveyor disables the run animation.

IMPOSSIBLE STAGES:
None, as of v1.1.

IMPORTANT INFO:
Yes, there are some levels with springs that bounce you a far distance, but you don't have enough speed. They are possible though, by not pressing forward or charging. Also, some levels are bugged at the moment and can't be completed. DSZ2 is replaced by an identical version, except the soft-lock room's door is always open.

PLANNED FEATURES:
Sparx, gems, and baskets/vases. Different sprites for flaming, flaming midair, chargejumping, falling while charging, gliding, and glide dropping.

MODDING SUPPORT:
If you want your enemy to be flamable/chargable, make sure to add your MT_ object to the "flamableEnemies" or "chargableEnemies" table.

CHANGELOG:
v1.0 - Initial Release

v1.1
Added the "playstyle" console variable that allows you to switch between Original and Reignited physics styles. Original makes the charge jump weaker, while Reignited makes the charge jump more powerful at the cost of a weaker glide.​
Fire breath can now be aimed vertically.​
Bug fixes, including being able to charge at the end of the level and glitches involving hang ropes.​

CREDITS TO...
Zipper, Tatsuru, Flame, CobaltBW, and Monster Iestyn, for helping me with the coding.​
SMS Alfredo, for letting me use his code for breaking bustable blocks from his Yoshi mod.​
Tempest, for helping me make the moves feel more like the original games.​
Dead, for playing through the game to tell me what levels are possible.​
Me, for actually doing something for once.​
Supporters / CoAuthors

Attachments

• srb20070.gif
    srb20070.gif
    2.3 MB · Views: 2,888
  • srb20071.gif
    srb20071.gif
    4.8 MB · Views: 1,876
  • srb20072.gif
    srb20072.gif
    5.1 MB · Views: 1,252
  • srb20073.gif
    srb20073.gif
    3.6 MB · Views: 913
  • srb20074.gif
    srb20074.gif
    2.8 MB · Views: 888
  • srb20075.gif
    srb20075.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 807
  • srb20078.gif
    srb20078.gif
    2.8 MB · Views: 986
  • VCL_Spyro-v1.1.zip
    1 MB · Views: 1,661
Last edited by a moderator:
question: if your character can get soft-locked by not being able to jump high enough in two instances, how come you didn't decide to add the double jump from spyro 2?

true, but im still suggesting that it could be a workaround
also i hope you can find a good spriter soon, because im loving the potential this has

Last edited:
The v1.1 update is now out, which includes many bug fixes and features!
Changes include: Bugfixes, Vertical flame breath, and different physics options.

Water was pretty deadly to Spyro in Spyro 1 on account of him not knowing how to swim. However, in Spyro 2 and 3 he was able to remedy this problem. His behavior underwater allowed him to swim via charging underwater, and he had infinite breath. Something akin to this in a future update would probably make this feel more complete.

I think I found a glitch, killing enemies flame breath does not give points.
Charge gives points tho.

While I do have a v1.2 update in the works, I've decided to hold it back for quality reasons. Due to the changes made to the code, things are slowly starting to get complicated, and I don't want to release a crappy mod with the numerous bugs popping up. I do plan on fixing up Spyro for multiplayer, though, as well as Battle mod support.

I've made some tweaks, most notably the inclusion of sprites, headbash, and a vain attempt polish. Not sure if this thread is an appropriate place to post my edits or if it should go somewhere else.

The attached .zip file contains the updated .wad and an "ASSETS" folder that contains the rendered images and a .blend file used to render out the sprites if anyone is interested and clever enough to figure out and use Blender.

Attachments

• spy.zip
    53.1 MB · Views: 269
  • srb20003.png
    srb20003.png
    141.6 KB · Views: 356
  • PAINB2.png
    PAINB2.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Nobody has yelled at me yet, so I'll post another update. Just a little polish, refinements, a more functional headbash (can go through bustable floors), a color change, and bonking. I'm considering posting future updates of my fork as a proper release, weighing in any objections.

Attachments

• spy.zip
    977 KB · Views: 260
  • srb20005.png
    srb20005.png
    114.9 KB · Views: 323
Nobody has yelled at me yet, so I'll post another update. Just a little polish, refinements, a more functional headbash (can go through bustable floors), a color change, and bonking. I'm considering posting future updates of my fork as a proper release, weighing in any objections.
This addon isn't marked as reusable, so you'd have to get Radicalicious's permission to release it. Though admittedly, your "fork" is much more fun then the original due to having more options to make up for being slow as fuck.

Last edited:

Alright, let me explain what's been going on. Recently, I've become very busy, with school and whatnot taking up lots of my time. I'm most likely not going to return to the community proper until school is out for summer, which means no updates for Spyro. However, I have looked at the 'fork' you've made, and I've decided that the buggy mess that is this mod is probably better off with someone who has time to actually develop it.

In short, if you want to release this updated version to the MB at any point, you have my permission. Plus, my code is a mess anyways, lol. This mod was more or less an experiment at coding a character that was more diverse than your average character. Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with this guy. :)

Alright, let me explain what's been going on. Recently, I've become very busy, with school and whatnot taking up lots of my time. I'm most likely not going to return to the community proper until school is out for summer, which means no updates for Spyro. However, I have looked at the 'fork' you've made, and I've decided that the buggy mess that is this mod is probably better off with someone who has time to actually develop it.

In short, if you want to release this updated version to the MB at any point, you have my permission. Plus, my code is a mess anyways, lol. This mod was more or less an experiment at coding a character that was more diverse than your average character. Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with this guy. :)

My code is an even messier mass of spaghetti that's fighting against whatever the state the game is putting Spyro in while I get to grips with lua. Thanks though. :D

You're also free to merge whatever hacks I come up with.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back