You all have blown me away with all of your feedback. Thank you.

I'm really happy to see some of you enjoyed my first actual level.
I have read your replies here and on Discord. I have created a list based on your feedback.
At the moment, my interests are placed on different projects, but I fully intend on improving NPZ in the future.
Personally, I believe some restructuring is in order, so don't expect an update anytime soon.

Your feedback is much appreciated. Again, thank you.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come out with next. This is probably my favorite modded level, maybe one of my favorite levels in the game period, atm.

If you follow and polish up your design philosophies I'm anticipating some damn fine levels in the future.

I'm really happy to see some of you enjoyed my first actual level.

...Well, color me doubly impressed. No, quadruply. Octuply. Viguply.

You know what my first (and only, because I quickly realized I don't like level design) level was? This hunk of junk. From my perspective, I did all right for a first attempt at making something small.

Yours is just ludicrous. I'm flabbergasted.

I finally played this today, and here are my thoughts!

Amazing
1) Echoing what's been said already, just overall, great job!! This is already one of my favorites!

2) The art design is gorgeous and the map is gigantic

3) The ramps are super fun, well done

4) The tiered-style pathways are creative and clever; this level kind of feels like the Sonic equivalent of a hike that turns into a bit of mountain climbing.

5) The palm trees look great; the colors are well balanced; the badnik choices are good.

Suggests for Improvement

1) Because it's such a BIG level that you want to spend a lot of time playing to explore, the first thing I would recommend changing is the music track. I know there are some great Palmtree Panic remixes out there that are both longer and better suited to "Neo" than the original track.

The Sonic CD soundtrack is great; it's just some tracks like PP are little played out, imo, like GHZ or Chemical Plant. After 7 minutes and however many times the track looped at that, I had to decide either to turn off the music or stop playing the level because it was becoming annoying instead of enjoyable.

2) There's a lot of sucker-punching crabs! I'd replace 50% of them with an equivalent badnik without a punch (is there coding for the Crustachean with punch :off:? Like a blue crawla version of Crustachean?) Another way to balance would be to double/triple the amount of individual rings floating around. But I'd rather just have fewer punches thrown at me.

3) It's sometimes a bit unclear where to go next, and I found myself getting turned around quite a bit... this is part of the challenge of SRB2 map making in general, it seems, bc it's often an issue for me on first-playthroughs (and I think most ppl) for practically every level with wide open level design based around tiered platforming to progress. I'm not sure of the answer, exactly, because I can tell you obviously put thought into this already; it's clear in the design based on the usual things like rings and star posts, and paved pathway. And adding arrow signs is not ideal, nor do I think it really needs it.

(3a) I wonder if designing the course could subtly suggest direction with platforms being guided visually... maybe change some existing platforms to be floating (permanent floating) and removing some more of the walls/mountains to guide the eye in the right direction a bit more?

(3b) Some of the pathways that seemed to lead to closed spaces ... maybe could have more ways to connect back to other paths without backtracking? (There probably already are ways that I'm not yet seeing) For example maybe an underground tunnel that takes you in ball form to another part of the level to pop up back (kinda like the tunnels in Egg Rock, but underground, like in GHZ or the tubes in ChemPlant)

4) Smallest thing, not sure if it can be improved because of the size (also i'm 2.2.0 mac), but there is some noticeable framerate/slowdown, for some reason usually near the waterfalls I noticed.

Last edited:
You know what my first (and only, because I quickly realized I don't like level design) level was? This hunk of junk. From my perspective, I did all right for a first attempt at making something small.

Yours is just ludicrous. I'm flabbergasted.

Time is also an important factor. Despite this being his first release, technically. This stage has been in development for nearly an entire year. It was initially made for Kimokawaiii.

I can only guess but I'm sure your first level didn't take nearly as long. For all intents and purposes Golden now has the knowledge of an experienced mapper.

...Hehe now only if my personal first stage that's in the works will turn out as good as this... This stage alone is some damn fine inspiration for it too.

It's bananas that this is your first level, too. As a player, I hope you continue indulging your SRB2 mapmaking hobby when you have the time for it; you have a talent for it!

2) There's a lot of sucker-punching crabs! I'd replace 50% of them with an equivalent badnik without a punch (is there coding for the Crustachean with punch :off:? Like a blue crawla version of Crustachean?) Another way to balance would be to double/triple the amount of individual rings floating around. But I'd rather just have fewer punches thrown at me.

Banpyura's, maybe? I believe they would work perfectly in this level as a way to halt and redirect your momentum into undesirable locations, instead of the mass of dick crabs (Haha! I'm getting back at you, Golden, you complained to me about my own dick crab once!)

This level is very long and it all looks exactly the same. It's obvious that you've put a lot of effort into platform layout and such, but it could do with a lot more visual variety and hinting. There were times here I was seriously considering hitting retry just because I knew the checkpoint would face me in the right direction.

I had a very lukewarm time with this. I've been excited to see how this level would turn out for a long time, and it's got a lot in the visual department. I can also FEEL the amount of time it must've taken to perfect all of those little slopes, so there's some appreciation there. But it definitely seems like a style over substance level, unless you decided to take a page from the game it's based on and make level design with terrible navigation. It only feels huge because of the amount of times I got lost in it and it got very frustrating after the luster of the visuals wore off. I definitely see that this wasn't lazy, but I think you should try to work on levels that are more fun and accessible.

could you make a desert version of this level?

I think this level would work really good with a desert theme and replacing the water with oil filled pits could be a really cool effect. I know its a big ask but i think its and intresting idea. also i get lag around the part of the level where the only route is to jump to the small platform over water with springs desinged to launch you off. I know thats not very specific but i cant think of how else to decribe it

as much as i love what i've seen of this level, i can't play it on my computer because it lags up an absolute storm, unfortunately. but a really amazing level nonetheless!

I have a question. How did you make the energy spark come out of the Badniks! I'm making canon game packs and Im working on Sonic CD right now. It was really excited when i saw that!

How did you make the sparkle come out of the robot when you destroy it? Im making a Sonic CD lvl pack and i wanted to know how you did it

for me its hard to find the end-
but its rlly goods

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

perfect mod 10000000000000/10

My opinion

NEO YOU ARE TOM WERGWAZA NOW
jokes aside this is a great mod and it really shows even on the screenshots but I also have some problems with it or should I say wow this is a little to big for me, y'all can always see people talking about it here but it's no exaggeration because this level is huge which yes does mean it's more fun but it also means that if you aren't a professional at srb2 then this level isn't that fun and it feels more like a maze which is why I suggest using junio Sonic because he feels really good in this level because of his jump potential and speed.

attachment.php

welp that concludes my review so thanks for reading.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back