Resource icon

[Open Assets] LauncherBlast2 reBoot

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

HitCoder

Launcher Blaster
The current version is: reBoot-1.4

Hello sonic fans, I appear out of nowhere to present to you, yet another SRB2 launcher. This time, it's LauncherBlast2 again- but wait..

that's right! it's a reBoot (i'm sorry for the awful pun i promise I'll crawl back into my lil' corner when this is released and only return for bugfixes)

So, I decided the old LauncherBlast2 wasn't good enough for 2.2 and it hurts me internally to think people would use such an ugly utility for such a beautiful, gorgeous game. LauncherBlast2 really sister-snapped this time and has had an entire makeover to the point you wouldn't even recognise her!

(EDIT: I actually got a compiled executable to work! woohoo!)
USAGE INSTRUCTIONS:

On windows:
download the LauncherBlast2-reBoot-win.zip, extract the exe to your SRB2 directory, and then double click it to run.
ugly console popup because for some reason if it doesn't pop up the launcher crashes when it tries to open srb2.

On Linux (and/or Mac OS (i cannot test it on mac, so please let me know how that goes))
download LauncherBlast2-reBoot-unix.zip, extract to your SRB2 directory, and use a terminal to CD to the directory.
Make sure python is installed using whichever of the following commands is relevant to you (if it's different, you'd probably already know how to do this step)

Code:
sudo apt-get install python3
sudo pacman -S python3
Once that's done, install PyQt5 and FeedParser in python3
Code:
python -m pip install PyQt5
python -m pip install feedparser
and then you should be good to go. to run the launcher run this command
Code:
python LauncherBlast2-reBoot.pyz

If any bugs are found please let me know! Please also try to take note of what you did and try to reproduce the error so I know exactly where it is.

Also, after a bit I'll release the source code in a zip (though, it's python, the ".pyz" is just a form of zip anyway that python can run)

Version 1.4:

• Fixed a bug where having no internet connection would crash the launcher
  • Added some fun stuff you might not find at first just yet maybe

Version 1.3:

• Fixed Fang being purple in the character preview
  • Updated the "Game" icon to use 2.2's sonic
  • Fixed a bug where trying to save or load lists of files and cancelling the file dialog would crash
  • Changed the console output to not output the dump info it used to

Version 1.2:

Version 1.1:

• added version checker (it will now inform you when updates are available)

Version 1.0:

• initial release

Attachments

• launcherblast2-1.png
    launcherblast2-1.png
    129.8 KB · Views: 10,481
  • launcherblast2-2.png
    launcherblast2-2.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 9,385
  • launcherblast2-3.png
    launcherblast2-3.png
    25 KB · Views: 7,873
  • launcherblast2-4.png
    launcherblast2-4.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 6,847
  • launcherblast2-5.png
    launcherblast2-5.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 6,313
  • launcherblast2-6.png
    launcherblast2-6.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 5,368
  • launcherblast2-7.png
    launcherblast2-7.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 6,861
  • LauncherBlast2-reBoot-win.zip
    31.7 MB · Views: 18,317
  • LauncherBlast2-reBoot-unix.zip
    657.7 KB · Views: 3,734
Last edited:
And so, it's back!

It kinda looks like the Minecraft launcher! Kinda makes me want SRB2Kart to be a tab/section on the menu

I did initially have something like this in mind, but the configuration for both games is almost the same as far as I am aware. In addition, Minecraft's launcher is a crucial layer in the process when running Minecraft, while this launcher is more of an added utility that some people will use wile other's won't; therefore the launcher is added to the game and not the other way around :P

But yeah the UI is heavily inspired by the new Minecraft launcher. Nice observation XD

my dumb ass can't figure out how to work out the dedicated server tab works in hosting lmfao- by that i mean like,it doesen't show up on the MS yet i have my ports forwarded,weird.

I found a bug. If you start the launcher and run the game, it will always use MIDI music. This happens even though "Digital music" is the default option in the launcher. To fix it, you have to go to the sound settings, select MIDI music, open the game, close the game, and then select Digital music. It's quite bothersome. I'm using the 64-bit executable, if that matters.

I have also a couple of suggestions you could maybe implement into the launcher in the future:
  • The file search should work more like it does in the game, so I can just type "silv" and be able to instantly find Silver.
  • Have an option for multiple SRB2 directories, so I can pick between the 32 bit executable and the 64 bit executable without having to copy the launcher.

my dumb ass can't figure out how to work out the dedicated server tab works in hosting lmfao- by that i mean like,it doesen't show up on the MS yet i have my ports forwarded,weird.

I'll look into this but it's gonna be hard because I'm living on campus at university and use a shared network so I can't check that rooms work correctly, due to not being able to port-forward

I found a bug. If you start the launcher and run the game, it will always use MIDI music. This happens even though "Digital music" is the default option in the launcher. To fix it, you have to go to the sound settings, select MIDI music, open the game, close the game, and then select Digital music. It's quite bothersome. I'm using the 64-bit executable, if that matters.

I have also a couple of suggestions you could maybe implement into the launcher in the future:
  • The file search should work more like it does in the game, so I can just type "silv" and be able to instantly find Silver.
  • Have an option for multiple SRB2 directories, so I can pick between the 32 bit executable and the 64 bit executable without having to copy the launcher.

• Midi music:This is actually an issue within SRB2 itself. See https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=46728 for more information on that (or maybe I'm doing something wrong but i could replicate this issue once the game was opened)
    EDIT: I noticed it works if i substitute 1/0 for On/Off. I should probably stick to semantics but still, to my knowledge this is a bug.
    EDIT2: I uploaded a fixed version for this bug. My apologies!
  • I feel like the file browser is sufficient enough. I might look into implementing this but I don't really have the time to make an entire new window and UI for it and make sure themes translate accross correctly with stuff I have going on IRL. It'll be added to my to-do list tho, and I'll mess with it when I get to it
  • I actually initially planned to allow setting the directory from the launcher but I think the way python invokes the command line is a bit fucky with working directories. Again, I'll look more into this when I have the time

Last edited:
This is a nice launcher. However, I do have a couple of complaints within the launcher itself:
1. Fang's default color is Lavender, not Purple.
2. The menu icons use 2.1's art, not 2.2's.
And as a side note, I'd like to see a few more features make it into the launcher:
1. Like GoldenHog said, maybe an option for different "profiles", like the Minecraft launcher has

2. The ability to see what the color would look like on a character when you're choosing one

Found a bug, if you go into the addons tab, click "save list", and then cancel it, the entire thing crashes, with the python output complaining about a filenotfound.

Really likin this so far though!

This is a really nice launcher! Looking forward for the source code to see how this thing's pumpin'.

In the CMD Window it gives me about 2 errors, but it manages to launch this application 100%. So as long as It loads, I'm ok with this.

Version 1.3 is now live
This is a nice launcher. However, I do have a couple of complaints within the launcher itself:
1. Fang's default color is Lavender, not Purple.
2. The menu icons use 2.1's art, not 2.2's.

Those things should now be updated

Why do I launch the game from the launcher and the music changes?
Why you need to desactive digital music to active it?

This should have been fixed in the previous bugfix. If you're still getting this issue i'd like you to provide more details (such as exporting a batch file and pasting the command exported here)

Found a bug, if you go into the addons tab, click "save list", and then cancel it, the entire thing crashes, with the python output complaining about a filenotfound.

Really likin this so far though!
Fixed

In the CMD Window it gives me about 2 errors, but it manages to launch this application 100%. So as long as It loads, I'm ok with this.
This should no longer happen in the new version :)

And as a side note, I'd like to see a few more features make it into the launcher:
1. Like GoldenHog said, maybe an option for different "profiles", like the Minecraft launcher has

2. The ability to see what the color would look like on a character when you're choosing one
I'm hoping to implement the first one at some point, the latter may be hard though, depending on the python libraries available.

I don't know if this is a problem for anyone else, but Discord doesn't recognize the game when it's opened like this, I don't know if it can be fixed

Good update!

Another bug: The launcher crashes if you don't have an internet connection, probably because it's trying to fetch the SRB2 news and it can't. I've been out of internet the last few days so I found that out the hard way.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back