• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

The Mario & Luigi Paisanos! (M&L PJ Paper Jam 3ds) -KVH

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshSonYs9

Salutations, SRB2 Mario bros. fans!

I loved the Mario Tails (Tailless) srb2 wad (some call it Blario) I found this January on one of the SRB2 servers.

Later I was informed that the original Mario srb2 wad base prototype was done by Other Chen (https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?p=817523)

This Mario wad has a great set of moves, a really fantastic moveset representing Mario and his franchise! Especially Super Mario 64, the sm64 triple jump is really fun & smooth to land; The M&L spin jump is also amazing and the wall jump/wall kick is such a great idea, helps skilled play a ton!

(Prior to my knowledge of the original creator/author) I showed the srb2 wad to my friends as a joke since it was Mario in a Tails Fox suit, as Other Chen would call it, and they loved it as well.

Nifkin & Astro (Nifkin Plains and AstroLuna) took this Srb2 mario tails prototype wad to the extra mile aesthetically/visually with edits and added M&L Paper Jam 3ds sprites, sound effects, and a "Super" Super Mario & Luigi form by LUA Script (Super-fied Cape Feather; adding on a cape to the super bros. for the custom sprite). The Super Form design ("Super" Super Cape Mario & Luigi) is a reference from Alvin/Mark Haynes SMBZ series, which its color palettes are referenced to the official Nintendo White Tanooki Suit Mario Powerup, more akin to White Raccoon Mario.
(Mind you, some of the Sprite & Sound edits are a bit vulgar & meme-y (about 3 memes in total), but that's how these editors are.)
(Chuckdawg & Nifkin also released an unfinished version publically by accident in February through srb2 public server downloads, woops to the oops (We wanted confirmation by the original creator/author before releasing our edited wad))
Note by "unfinished version" I mean sprite edit-wise, we haven't added any new moves or newly made sprites on the Brothers. The super form wasn't done visually yet.
-The Mario Bros. super form is obtained by using custom action 1 in normal Srb2 gameplay after collecting all 7 emeralds.

Mario & Luigi are pretty much the same, however, Luigi has the higher jump stat, reaching better heights.

Nifkin and Astro may add a Bros. Hammer custom action for Mario & Luigi to break Fang and Amy wall sections for less soft-locks in a future update. Softlocks are rare anyway.

After adding the M&L Bros. Hammer move, followed by some new custom sprites, It will be sent to submissions, softlocks are still a bad event when they occur; Also these will be the first additions that are truly new and different aside from just sprite editing and adding sound effects/voices to the prototype, the Cape Feather Super Form doesn't even have flight!
(Until then, I need Other Chen's permission to submit this if I were to do it now)

Here are two gifs for a mini showcase of the Paisanos!

Thanks a lot for making the original srb2 wad base prototype for us, OtherChen!

MOD EDIT: Do not use Editing to circumvent Releases. If you need people to test your mod, look elsewhere.

-YoshSonYS9 edit: Download no longer available, read latest thread comment post (Comment#6) for even more context

Attachments

• M&L PJ Paper Jam Mario Paisano Showcase YoshSonYs9 Nifkin Plains AstroLuna -srb22541.gif
    5.1 MB · Views: 1,677
  • M&L PJ Paper Jam Luigi Paisano Showcase YoshSonYs9 Nifkin Plains AstroLuna -srb22542.gif
    5.4 MB · Views: 1,237
Last edited:
I think I figured out why Luigi gives errors every time he walljumps. In the lua for Luigi, you replaced sfx_mario1 with sfx_Luigi1, which doesn't exist. sfx_mario1 is actually a sound effect in the base game, not one of Mario's sounds.

They're pretty nice, but I think they're a tiny bit small, especially compared to Yoshi which came out just a tiny bit earlier.

Sliding is also wonky on analog.

I think I figured out why Luigi gives errors every time he walljumps. In the lua for Luigi, you replaced sfx_mario1 with sfx_Luigi1, which doesn't exist. sfx_mario1 is actually a sound effect in the base game, not one of Mario's sounds.

They're pretty nice, but I think they're a tiny bit small, especially compared to Yoshi which came out just a tiny bit earlier.

Sliding is also wonky on analog.

Nifkin Plains has fixed the mute wall jump/wall kick error problem on Luigi and changed the sprite scaling size on Mario & Luigi, (more akin to the recent SMS Alfredo Yoshi srb2 wad). Along with that, Nifkin's renamed some Mario sound effects so there won't be errors & overlap problems with the MKB2 (Mario Koopa Blast 2 stage).

Sliding has always been a wonky & weird element on Other Chen's Mario Tails (Tailless) prototype. Other Chen has been reworking the problem for weeks on the Mario wad project a few months ago, (and this was more for Keyboard and mouse on that point). Chen would have to work with the sliding on analog controls to make it more smooth in the future, we may try our hand at it later.

The Paisanos srb2 wad update patch is at version 1.6 now.

I've been informed that, even with all my prior context given in my opening thread post, this kind of grey area situation stuff doesn't have a correct place or section in the srb2 forum.
(I tried sending the Paisanos in the canceled Mario Tails (Tailless) srb2 wad thread itself, but that's bringing attention off Other Chen's Mario prototype itself, then was directed to make a separate thread here in editing or send it to submissions)

So I'll be sending the Paisanos in submissions, (or if I don't and want to wait on Other Chen to get back at me, I'll wait until we add the hammer custom action 1 & new custom sprites to finally submit it, I won't send the Mario & Luigi files in "Editing" anymore)

Again my mistake, this right now is my 7th ever post on the srb2 forum, I'm pretty new here.
I thought submitting an edited prototype of someone else's wouldn't be honorable of Other Chen and probably against some sort of rule, I see that it's allowed if the project is canceled and/or the original base owner releases it to the public without submitting it himself/herself.
My friends did a great job and I wanted others to have a more refined version when the wip version was accidentally released on public srb2 servers.
Goodbye for now.

YOSHSONYS9 EDIT:

I have recently found great release related confirmation & permission from Other Chen while having a helpful conversation with another Mario srb2 coder about custom sprite work art, editing, and etc.
A screenshot comment post from Bruz's messages by OtherChen [was posted early January] states that you can release your own edit of the Mario Tails (Tailless) prototype if you edit sprites, sounds, and such onto it as long as Other Chen is credited of course.
When/if my friends ever find the motivation again with the Srb2 Forum to actually send the M&L PJ Paper Jam Paisanos/M&L PJ Mario Bros. to submissions & releases, I may send it in.
If I had seen this confirmation earlier this March, this would have made things very simple in the starting portion of the month, oh well.

Anyways peeps, see you all later.

Last edited:
could you add the hammer please i would love to see that this is my favorite mod

please add the hammer i would love to see it i thought it would be great for stopping in mid air and of course attacking i tried to add it myself but i dont really want to learn how to mod srb2 (i know programming but i just dont really want to learn it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back