Custom Skincolor Thread

Hey toaster, now that round 3 has been completed for a bit, would you be up for sharing the results?

On another, less directed note, Considering the color shifted skin colors, How would the topics of MD2 color blends, and end sign opposite colors, considering they are both defined with singular indexes, how are they going to be handled?

Although, it's honestly obvious that the endsigns are going to be far less affected then MD2s, which since they are part of OpenGL, less people care about anyway.

I was working on getting something ready to show the results in action, but then somebody asked me to help them with coding assistance for a 2.2 level and I ended up not getting any of that done! I've only got a little left before I can put a bow on that, though, so we'll see. I CAN say that there are around three confirmed removals, and another one which is on tenuous ground. What these are is yet to be discussed amongst the team at large, though, and therefore I'd prefer not disclosing for now.

Come back... say, after SUBARASHII, maybe?

Last edited:
srb20036.png

never ask me to do anything ever again (more info forthcoming!)

srb20036.png

never ask me to do anything ever again (more info forthcoming!)

Damn, that's a lot of colors. Surely they aren't all in the final roster? I mean, I'm totally down for all those dozens of blues and purples so that users can use their favorite color without looking exactly like another player, but that seems like an excessive amount of variation, especially considering what you told me in another thread where you showed me how SRB2's skin color palettes are stored and applied.

I might be wrong but i'm counting 47 colours(?) in that picture

Either way, we have a really wide assortment of colours now, which isn't a bad reason 0 -0

I don't know what it says about me that the first thing I thought when I saw that is that it must have made a hell of a noise when all those spun.

I am here to claim post #69.

Spot on work, toast. I can't believe how good all those signs look. The new character select screen is fantastic too.

I have to agree with Seventh. The improvements to the menu is outstanding.

Heh, and there is a nice gap under for it if menu hooks come along to let me add second color to the menu, or if they somehow implement it in vanilla.

Though, the sides of sonic look a little empty now. Maybe have the other skins in their waiting animations to the sides, similar to Donkey Kong 64?

Well, Colored MD2 models are certainly gonna need to be completely reworked!

Actually, on a somewhat related topic: If there were true color gradients for each of the skin colors, what would they look like?

GsLyuzr.png

Like, take the right as an example. It isn't a full on gradient, but it is an example of what true color skin colors could do in OpenGL on the off chance that they were implemented. Though, a full on gradient would be great for MD2 models, since then they would be able to smoothly transition through the hues.

Just in case anyone gets confused, this post is in no way endorsed by any devs. It is just something I wanted to bring up for people to think about.

Also, if this looks familiar to anyone, thats because I posted that image on the discord way back on May 3rd.

Well, I'm a lady of my word. SUBARASHII is out, so...

Note: I heard someone was trying to reconstruct the list of skincolors from that endsign picture I showed off earlier. If you are that person, you will not want to click the following link, as it gives the game away. Maybe you could complete your attempt at reconstruction and THEN compare notes? It might be fun, and give you a clear goal to aim for.

Here's a gif of the MP player setup menu in action, passing over every single currently available colour.

Currently, there are 62 normal skincolors, and ~45 super colours (but divide that by five to get rid of the flashing, so that's nine different options). There is the potential for one extra skincolor, but I am going to keep it free until it's needed for some purpose. Thank you, everyone involved in the contestsque, for your uncredited contribution to this relatively minor 2.2 feature. Happy rainbows!

If you want, you can start using this thread to post new skincolor ideas again, but they are guaranteed not to be used. ;P

EDIT: Forgot to add the annotated poll results to stage 3! Stages 1 and 2 didn't need to be entered into Excel to be parsed, so I didn't have them handy; I'll see what I can get from them...

Last edited:
I went ahead and picked apart the gif, so all of the colors are shown in separate images. For those who want to get an easier time finding out if the skincolors they wanted are in 2.2 or not.

http://imgur.com/a/bnrA5 (Not linking the images here directly, because that's a mighty 62 skincolors!)

Jesus Christ that's a lot of skincolors.

i can't believe i didn't check this thread earlier because i thought it was nothing special, but now i came and i'm really surprised, i can't really believe those are all of 2.2's colors, i'm gonna die of hypeness.

Note: I heard someone was trying to reconstruct the list of skincolors from that endsign picture I showed off earlier. If you are that person, you will not want to click the following link, as it gives the game away. Maybe you could complete your attempt at reconstruction and THEN compare notes? It might be fun, and give you a clear goal to aim for.

Here's a gif of the MP player setup menu in action, passing over every single currently available colour.

Currently, there are 62 normal skincolors, and ~45 super colours (but divide that by five to get rid of the flashing, so that's nine different options). There is the potential for one extra skincolor, but I am going to keep it free until it's needed for some purpose. Thank you, everyone involved in the contestsque, for your uncredited contribution to this relatively minor 2.2 feature. Happy rainbows!

If you want, you can start using this thread to post new skincolor ideas again, but they are guaranteed not to be used. ;P

EDIT: Forgot to add the annotated poll results to stage 3! Stages 1 and 2 didn't need to be entered into Excel to be parsed, so I didn't have them handy; I'll see what I can get from them...

The fact that I saw MY skin colour (Emerald) in there just made me start shedding tears of joy like a bloody 5 year old
I guess dreams do come true, I finally contributed something important in my life!
Toaster, Motorroach, Speedwagon, VAdaPEGA and the rest of the developers who put their time into this game and make it what it is; I'd like to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for bringing this game into my life, and everyone else too!
I was introduced to SRB2 when I was around 8/9ish (so that would've been like 2009/10 or so.) and it blew my fucking mind, I still remember the massive gasp upon seeing Greenflower Zone, the feeling of my mind getting blown upon seeing Techno Hill's secrets, the adrenaline when going through Deep Sea Zone, the anxiety when I (eventually) arrived in Castle Eggman Zone, the excitement when I set foot in Arid Canyon Zone, the feeling of sweat and determination in Red Volcano Zone and not to forget the very word I said when I saw Egg Rock Zone: "WOW!!!"

Holy crap this brought back so many memories and it's been brilliant reminiscing those little moments when I played Sonic Robo Blast 2 for the first time.
I thank you all and I expect 2.2 to leave me in that same state that little ol' me was when I saw SRB2 (when it was in 2.0)
I thank you for reading this little soliloquy (sorry for the length, first time I've really done something like this) and I wish I could give every one of you guys a great hug.
I hope you all have a fantastic day!

HOOOO MY GOD. All these skincolor are now in the game. THANK YOU. I cannot WAIT for 2.2 now. All these color combinations are blowing my mind. We have tons of blues, reds, THESE ARE SO GOOD. I'm looking forward to trying them all!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back