Yet Another HUD Mod

[Open Assets] Yet Another HUD Mod 3.0

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Plume

Socially Awkward Artist
Hello World.

I've recently been experimenting with importing SRB2Kart's font into SRB2, and the HUD not having outlines was tickling me a bit. So I decided to work on a kart-styled HUD... But in the end, I wasn't pleased with it. Therefore, I used what little creativity I had left to sprite... Yet Another HUD Mod.

This one, I think, turned out quite well. It's colorful, shiny, and well, people seemed to like the screenies of it I sent on Discord, so here I am, submitting it on the MB.

This is a simple graphics replacement and therefore does not mark the game as modified. You can freely use it while playing multiplayer.

Currently Changes:

• Score / Time / Rings HUD
  • Numbers Font
  • All intermission headers.
  • Standard and tiny fonts. (Thanks to PencilVoid's font.)
Changelog:
• v3.0
- A slightly edited, sharper version of PencilVoid's fonts is now bundled with the HUD.
• v2.2
- Fixed a bigger mistake I made while fixing the numbers.
• v2.1
- Fixed a color issue with the 4 and 5 nubmers that was only visible using custom palettes.
- Removed prefix from the filmename as it is not needed anymore.
• v2.0
- Added most intermissions sprites.
• v1.0
- Initial release.

Attachments

• Sm0p3WBkCm.gif
    Sm0p3WBkCm.gif
    112.6 KB · Views: 3,066
  • YetAnotherMENGS.gif
    YetAnotherMENGS.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 7,340
  • unknown.png
    unknown.png
    592.2 KB · Views: 2,310
  • YetAnotherHUDMod-v3.0.pk3
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,327
  • srb20003.jpg
    srb20003.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 1,275
  • srb20004.jpg
    srb20004.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 1,734
  • YetAnotherHUDMod-NoFont-v3.0.pk3
    12.6 KB · Views: 647
Last edited:
I see MENGS, I approve.

It also helps thst this is sctually a very nice HUD alternative.

I like it. Although I do wish the results screen was also upgraded to use this HUD style as well. Maybe something to consider for v2?

Looks really tiny n cute, reminds me of those pico-8 games for some reason.

It's funny that you mention this reminding you of Pico-8 games. Just before making this HUD, I was considering working on a Pico-8-like palette mod.

I like it. Although I do wish the results screen was also upgraded to use this HUD style as well. Maybe something to consider for v2?

I'm planning on covering every single UI element I can edit without triggering the gamemodified flag.
Right now, for v2 am working on a font to go alongside this mod, which should be released tommorrow.
But making the intermission/result screen stuff shouldn't take me too long so I might make it in time for that v2.

So basically, this mod gives a HUD design not borrowed from any Sonic game, but instead created for Kart. Honestly, that's good. If I were to ever suggest replacing the Sonic 2 aesthetic, that would be what I would suggest:something with its own identity.

I kinda wish Time and Score would match how their Record Attack emblems look (Time would be grey with an hourglass icon and Score would be brown with a crown icon) but other than that, yeah this is pretty nifty, I like it.

I kinda wish Time and Score would match how their Record Attack emblems look (Time would be grey with an hourglass icon and Score would be brown with a crown icon) but other than that, yeah this is pretty nifty, I like it.

I was already suggested to change the clock to a hourglass on discord.
The reason I refused to do that is that hourglasses are associated with a time objective/limits, an hourglass is often something you have to beat. The clock just measures time.

As for the brown emblem with a crown... The reason I didn't go for that is that I wanted the HUD to be colorful. And the icons to be the same colors as the text. No visual clashes.

Hey, where did the files go? I know you've updated it thanks to my help, but...

...oh, wait. I guess you're still updating the bits right now.

Last edited:
How do you hide the player names and change the number-of-lives font to the score number font like in Sonic CD?

How did you make adding this addon NOT trigger the "game is modified" flag? I really want to be able to do that with my mod.
If you need the link to it, its this https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=46538

The specific graphics this addon replaces are whitelisted. If you type "listwad" into the console after adding this, it'll be greyed out to signify that it's not considered modifying the game (significantly, anyway) or a required file in servers. The reason your addon does that is because life icons are a part of character skins themselves and not whitelisted. There's no way to really fix that, nor do I see that being possible in a future update since that's such a weird systematic change to make.

Updated the addon to version 3.0:
- 2.1: Removed prefix from the filmename as it is not needed anymore.
- 2.2: Fixed a color issue an issue with the color of number's outlines, that was visible only with either good eyes or with custom palettes.
- 3.0: A slightly edited, sharper version of PencilVoid's fonts is now bundled with the HUD.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back