DirkTheHusky

Team Kinetic RPG
Returning from 2.1 and making its way to 2.2, Encore mode from Sonic Mania Plus!

In this mode, you start with one character (Sonic by default) and take on through the main campaign with a whole new twist. Mainly, this mode's life counter depends on how many characters you have in your stock. Once you lose all of your characters, its game over! Many exclusive monitors for this mode are scattered around the map, replacing a few existing ones.

Character Monitor:

attachment.php

This monitor gives you a new character to play as. If you're down to one character, your new one adds to your stock as a character to switch on the fly. Anymore characters above 2 will add on to your stock. To switch characters, press the "toss flag" button!

Character Swap Monitor:

attachment.php

By breaking this monitor, the character that you're using will be swapped with the character on the far left of your stock list. Handy when you want to swap out a character for a new one to play as.

Random Character Monitor:

attachment.php

By breaking this monitor, it will randomize the order of your characters. Be wise and try not to test your luck too much.

When you obtain all characters, the Character monitor will cycle through the swap and random monitors.

This mode is exclusive to multiplayer so this mode goes in its own gametype. With Encore mode being in its own gametype, Host and Admins can switch between normal and encore modes. You can even play custom levels with the new gametype and monitors will replace random monitors scattered in the map.

What encore monitor will replace?
Swap and Random monitors: Any monitor aside from Power Sneakers, Invincibility, and Eggman monitors.
Character monitors: Extra life monitors.

To do:
- Make this mode compatible with Single Player. This includes:
- The ability to choose between modes when you start the game.
- Bot support so they act like a 2nd character in your stock.
- Custom encore stages out of SRB2's main campaign(?)
- Have the gametype allow to collect emeralds in the game. Right now, SRB2 has a
bug when the multiplayer special stage properties won't load in custom gametypes!

Credits:
Tripel - Original lua script from Plus.wad
Jimita - Edit of lua, with Tripel's permission

Port of the mod, mostly from SRB2 Encore done by me with some additions.

Attachments

• srb20138.gif
    srb20138.gif
    2.7 MB · Views: 24,837
  • srb20082.png
    srb20082.png
    131.2 KB · Views: 23,931
  • srb20083.png
    srb20083.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 24,114
  • srb20084.png
    srb20084.png
    168.7 KB · Views: 1,224
  • srb20139.gif
    srb20139.gif
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,822
  • Ec_Encore-v1.pk3
    85.7 KB · Views: 6,871
Last edited:
Good, this means that SRB2 Mania is now a reality (with Ray and Mighty mods, the Mania HUD and the drop dash).

PS: I know it's not easy to do but is this possible to change the palette like in Mania or should be it its own mod?

mystic realm's emerald stages don't work in encore

so i ran into a problem with the emerald stages in mystic realm
i activated the mystic shrine in jade coast
srb20091.gif

but after i finished JCZ2, it doesn't go to mudhole karst, it goes straight to JCZ3
srb20093.gif

edit:
also when i activated aerial garden act 2's shrine, i got sent to mudhole karst
there was no emerald at the end of the level and after the intermission screen, i got sent to rainstorm keep
just like mudhole karst, rainstorm keep doesn't have the emerald at the end
when i got to starlight palace, i activated its mystic shrine to see what would happen and i got sent back to jade coast

Last edited:
so i ran into a problem with the emerald stages in mystic realm
i activated the mystic shrine in jade coast
srb20091.gif

but after i finished JCZ2, it doesn't go to mudhole karst, it goes straight to JCZ3
srb20093.gif

edit:
also when i activated aerial garden act 2's shrine, i got sent to mudhole karst
there was no emerald at the end of the level and after the intermission screen, i got sent to rainstorm keep
just like mudhole karst, rainstorm keep doesn't have the emerald at the end
when i got to starlight palace, i activated its mystic shrine to see what would happen and i got sent back to jade coast

It could be an issue with custom game modes. Custom exits may not work in the gametype and the emeralds won't spawn in no matter if the mod had the GTR values in. With the bugs that I've received, it may be hard for me to fix them. I'll need some help with smashing those pesky bugs.

i legit love this. i created a Nuzlocke version of this sense I'm able to basically get the whole character roster in Greenflower sense monitors respawn. then try to get through the game without gameovering

- Make this mode compatible with Single Player. This includes:
- The ability to choose between modes when you start the game.
- Bot support so they act like a 2nd character in your stock.
- Custom encore stages out of SRB2's main campaign(?)
- Have the gametype allow to collect emeralds in the game. Right now, SRB2 has a
bug when the multiplayer special stage properties won't load in custom gametypes!
Is it possible to make a character select entry that doesn't have an actual skin associated with it and activates the mode? If not, I don't know how you'd pull that second point off.
On the plus side, custom save variables mean you should at least be able to store what skins are 'freed', bitwise, so that as long as they are all loaded in the same order, you can resume with all the same characters unlocked.
Bot support would be cool as well, though you might have to implement some failsafes so that you can't be on a character-specific path, lose that character, and then be utterly screwed.

Is it possible to make a character select entry that doesn't have an actual skin associated with it and activates the mode? If not, I don't know how you'd pull that second point off.
On the plus side, custom save variables mean you should at least be able to store what skins are 'freed', bitwise, so that as long as they are all loaded in the same order, you can resume with all the same characters unlocked.
Bot support would be cool as well, though you might have to implement some failsafes so that you can't be on a character-specific path, lose that character, and then be utterly screwed.

Exactly what I had in mind on when created encore map edits out of SRB2's main levels. That is if I decided to put in Swap and Random monitors on those paths. I never considered the fact that we have custom saves, but that won't be in encore mod. Only thing I had thought about is making unlockable characters be unlocked when you start up the mod. In case if people haven't unlocked them themselves, they won't risk on sigseving from the server. (IDK if that really happens but I do want to be cautious.)

It never works whenever I play Multiplayer.

Encore mod isn't a thing for the Co-op gametype. It belongs in its own gametype. You can find it in the "Select Level/Gametype" menu in the server settings and splitscreen. However, encore gametype isn't supported for splitscreen yet.

I should mention something...

About how the AI would behave, I'd like for you to include ExAI scripts for the available characters. Might be helpful for he purpose of switching AIs with the characters.

Suggestion (don't know if you've done this yet, haven't tried it out with multiplayer): I think that no matter the circumstance, in this implementation of Encore Mode, Fang and Metal Sonic's boss fights should be against gray clones. It helps make things less confusing, and makes logical sense because you're basically playing as all six characters as a team taking turns, which includes Fang and Metal.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back