Looks like the overconfident and hammerheaded Kiki Crusader, Jason, has joined the fray!
NeAXovD.png

While he's not a Sonic character, he can prove himself to be much better than Sonic and Co. In fact, he's my own hand drawn character! (Though, that doesn't equate to how good he actually is)
Anyways, how about we get into Jason's abilities?

2dT8MAe.png

First up, Jason's hammerhead gauntlets! Activated with spin, Jason can use these to reach high speeds in seconds!
hFnev8Q.gif

Jason's hammerhead spin; Simply titled "Spin" gives Jason the ability to break spikes, walls, and boost himself further off of springs. However, the main draw of Jason's spin is the speeds he can reach! Bopping badniks (or just spinning for long periods of time!) will give Jason a jump and speed boost, allowing him to reach speeds that the fastest hedgehog alive can only dream of!
W5wRI3q.gif

However, all of this sheer power from spinning around comes at the risk of getting dizzy! If Jason spins for too long, he'll spin out and be vulnerable to enemy attacks for a short amount of time.

uptx1OG.png

Next up on the list of abilities, we have Jason's double jump! New to V2, this double jump gives Jason that last burst of height he would need to clear large gaps!
pBn0AG8.gif

Of course, this double jump also comes with a drawback! Using the double jump will get rid of any speed and jump boosts you've earned while spinning.

TjE3H9E.png

New to v2, Jason has been given his own taunt button! Pressing Custom 1 will have Jason strike a random pose in his fit of overconfidence! This taunt button can be used anywhere, from standing still to riding on a minecart!

SNuVWYa.gif

These poses can range from basic common poses to silly references and jokes, and there are 16 different poses that Jason can strike. Can you find them all?

5fQpri2.gif

z6VvKpD.png

Finally, we have the commands related to Jason! At the moment, there is only one command, and I don't know if any more will be added in the future.

"jasonmeter"

This command changes whenever Jason's special nausea meter appears. By default, this meter only appears while the player is in first person mode, but with this command, that can be changed.
0 - Only in first person.
1 - Only when spinning.
2 - Always.

vcBJjzg.png

In closing, Jason is primarily meant to be a fun and satisfying character to play, and I believe that ManimiFire, SMS Alfredo and I pulled that off.

Supporters / CoAuthors

Attachments

• VCL_Jason-v2.zip
    625.2 KB · Views: 771
  • srb20157.gif
    srb20157.gif
    7 MB · Views: 403
  • srb20154.gif
    srb20154.gif
    5.2 MB · Views: 345
  • srb20150.gif
    srb20150.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 339
  • srb20149.gif
    srb20149.gif
    4.4 MB · Views: 291
  • srb20147.gif
    srb20147.gif
    6.7 MB · Views: 316
Last edited by a moderator:
YES, HE FINALLY GOT IN RELEASES! I love his ability and the way that he get's a reward for bopping badniks is a really cool feature. I would prefer if there was a console command to choose the timer (in seconds) till he get's dizzy, but nonetheless, he's a really cool hand-drawn character and I love the use of Hi-Res.

I don't know if anyone is having this issue, but when I tried to play as Jason it caused the game to friggin' chug. It was really laggy, and when I tried to spin it got even worse. On top of that, when he got dizzy after spinning too much, he eventually recovered like he's supposed to, but the screen shaking didn't stop happening. I'm on the Mac Build of 2.2.4, so I don't know if that's causing issues, but this seems like a really fun character, and I'd hate for something like this to prevent me from playing him.

Damn, y'all work quick. I'll add another post (If I can find the button) when I finally try this little guy out.

Couldn't find the button, but anyways, this character is pretty neat. The lack of a jump ability does kinda suck though.

Last edited:
very interesting character in terms of sprites and gameplay, however, a single problem: the confusion comes too quickly, making jumps with ramps difficult to timing, for the rest he is an ok character

Attachments

• srb20325.gif
    6.1 MB · Views: 248
srb20000.gif

srb20000.gif

I found two bugs about Jason he can remove Brak Eggman's electrical texture once you do the spinning attack on him this is normal i guess...and the other bug if you hit a cactus...then you get stuck forcing yourself to restart the level I really dont know if it would be fixed so just in case what I sent ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
A new update has been released, version 1.1 to be exact!
This update should fix Jason getting himself stuck in cacti and removing Brak's electrical shield.

As for this, however..

I don't know if anyone is having this issue, but when I tried to play as Jason it caused the game to friggin' chug. It was really laggy, and when I tried to spin it got even worse. On top of that, when he got dizzy after spinning too much, he eventually recovered like he's supposed to, but the screen shaking didn't stop happening. I'm on the Mac Build of 2.2.4, so I don't know if that's causing issues, but this seems like a really fun character, and I'd hate for something like this to prevent me from playing him.

This is an unfortunate side effect to Jason using hi-res sprites, similar to how the game will start slowing to a crawl if Jason turns around in the NiGHTS special stages too much.
Until Hi-res itself is optimized, there's no known way to fix these lag problems besides lowering your resolution.

This is an unfortunate side effect to Jason using hi-res sprites
I wouldn't bet on it. I have performance issues with Jason too, though they're not nearly as severe as SpicyHamSamson's. I've actually opened him up and replaced all the hi-res sprites with regular-res ones from other characters and the problems remained.

It's more likely the Lua script. I don't know if there's some specific part or function that's causing slowdown but from the quick glance I gave it, the whole thing seems unoptimized in general.

I wouldn't bet on it. I have performance issues with Jason too, though they're not nearly as severe as SpicyHamSamson's. I've actually opened him up and replaced all the hi-res sprites with regular-res ones from other characters and the problems remained.

It's more likely the Lua script. I don't know if there's some specific part or function that's causing slowdown but from the quick glance I gave it, the whole thing seems unoptimized in general.

During private netgame sessions before Jason had released, nobody had reported any performance issues. So it could be a computer problem, conflicts with another character, or just an issue with SRB2 itself. I'm not a coder though, so I don't know how optimized the code actually is, but ManimiFire has told me that he checked everything before release.

That being said, if anyone can pinpoint the cause of the problem, that would be very much appreciated.

Lovin' this character. He has a unique, yet simple enough playstyle that makes him fit in just right.

Bug reports:
Before the update, I accidentally forgot to report this bug. Whoops.
srb20015.gif

Now that the update is out, though, we may have something worse...
srb20016.gif

If the GIF is too fast for you to tell, spinning into the fence causes Jason to get soft-locked inside of it. He can't move any direction besides left or right. Not shown in the GIF: jumping squashes him, causing him to lose a life.
There's a similar bug with fences that are unable to get into (that one is only accesible due to a small ledge). Jason is stuck, but if the camera is turned in the opposite direction and forward is held, he can escape. I haven't tested to see where else these issues can occur, but they are problematic.

I think you should make the dizzy meter reset when you hit an enemy. It's really unsatisfying to be stopped in the middle of hitting a bunch of enemies in a row.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! A new update for Jason has finally been released thanks to the wonderful SMS Alfredo, so for the sake of keeping this message short I'll go ahead and list some of the major changes.

Jason's overall spin time has been increased, and he now gains even more spin time by bopping badniks! Alongside this, Jason no longer requires JUST enemies to give him boosts, he'll gain boosts over time while spinning.

Jason now has a double jump ability in the form of well, a double jump! This gives Jason the ability to get over certain obstacles that he otherwise couldn't before, albeit at the cost of sacrificing any boosts you've earned through the spin.

In addition, Jason now has proper running sprites, and he also has a taunt button! This taunt button is activated by pressing Custom 1 at any time! Most of these poses are mainly jokes, being that the taunt button was added for fun in the first place.

Anyways, we hope that you will enjoy Jason v2 as much as we did making it!

I Think We Have Something In Common. Hand-Drawn Sprites. So Much more!
Man I Think We Were Born To Be Meant!

Found a bug where is you spin into an enemy that's in it's looking state, Jason gets hurt. It kills your speed and interrupts the flow of gameplay.

In addition, Jason now has proper running sprites, and he also has a taunt button! This taunt button is activated by pressing Custom 1 at any time! Most of these poses are mainly jokes, being that the taunt button was added for fun in the first place.
Hey F.N.! Is there any chance I could use the taunt script for my characters? I'm not very good with Lua stuff, and was wondering if you could let me have that part of the code.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back