Resource icon

[Open Assets] Hammer flip (my take on Amy's hammer jump) 3

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Krabs

he/him
Sonic Team Junior

Jump right as Amy's hammer smacks the floor to get a hammer flip. You can also just twinspin and hold the jump button as Amy lands. It takes a bit of practice, but there's a lot of unique tricks you can do with it. If you build up speed first, Amy will jump higher than usual and also gain forward momentum. Chain hammer flips together to keep speeding up.

Other stuff:
- Rad spin animation and bounce sfx
- The hammer flip still can't rival tails, knuckles, or fang in vertical mobility
- Amy can hammer flip even from a standstill, although she won't get much of a boost
- If you need some quick height, twinspin an enemy while holding down jump or spin! The bounce will be, at a minimum, 14 fracunits of strength.
- Amy can swing her hammer as many times as she wants in one jump, or even after hitting a spring.
- After a hammer flip, you're completely vulnerable and can't twinspin.

v2: fixed whirlwind shield spam
v3: fixed a death related animation glitch and fixed monitor bouncing

Attachments

• srb20092.gif
    3.9 MB · Views: 377
  • srb20094.gif
    3.2 MB · Views: 346
  • srb20103.gif
    6.6 MB · Views: 294
  • srb20104.gif
    4 MB · Views: 250
  • VL_HammerFlip-v3.lua
    2.7 KB · Views: 794
Last edited:
Bug report: i noticed that you can jump indefinetly with the wind shield by using the spin key after a jump and then keep pressing the jump button (havent tested with other shields)

Now with that out of the way i want to say that i love this ability, i think this is the perfect ability for her, being a replacement for her hammerjump that keeps i mind 2 buttons "limit"

This is actually really nice! I'm not fond of that other Hammer Jump lua because it binds your Hammer Attack and your Hammer Jump to the same key, so I really like this because it gives a perfect alternative method to activating the Hammer Flip without encroaching on Amy's other controls, in a way that simultaneously feels natural but still requires a bit of skill. Nice job!

This is definitely super fucking fun and a great "replacement" for the regular Hammer Jump.

My only wish is that it could be chained, it'd be great to go from Hammer Flip to Hammer Flip.

This is very similar to, and actually better than the concept I proposed to the development team for additions to Amy's moveset. Script is well done too. Awesome work! Just one thing to note, monitors don't have the MF_SPECIAL flag, so they aren't affected by the function in your TouchSpecial hook. Consider MobjDeath instead!

v3 is out, fixing monitor bouncing and also a death-related animation bug.

Things on the to-do list still:
- Making hammer-jump distance and speed smoothly scale from weakest to strongest without being separated into 5 strength tiers.
- Fix the bug where frame-perfectly jumping off the ground after a hammer flip doesn't return your ability to twinspin
- Experiment with the idea of letting amy twinspin after a hammer flip in a way that doesn't make her play too much like fang

This really makes Amy more fun without adding too much...except for some bugs:
  1. The hammer jump is finnicky with wind shield on
  2. The double barrier shield’s air stop can be spammed to hover
  3. More shields might have funky reactions (havent checked magnet or the sonic 3 shields for the same bugs)

It’d be nice if hitting enemies with spin in midair didnt do the bounce and using jump did do the bounce

I don't know if I like hammer jump or hammer flip more, I'd dislike to not use a mod that betters a character. Anyway, this mod doesn't work when used in conjunction with hammer jump. Amy's hammer does not hit the ground. Order does not matter.
Dunno if you're willing to fix this, as it's not really in your convenience and you're without incentive to do so.

This really makes Amy more fun without adding too much...except for some bugs:
  1. The hammer jump is finnicky with wind shield on
  2. The double barrier shield’s air stop can be spammed to hover
  3. More shields might have funky reactions (havent checked magnet or the sonic 3 shields for the same bugs)

It’d be nice if hitting enemies with spin in midair didnt do the bounce and using jump did do the bounce

Unfortunately I've been stuck on fixing all of the shield-related bugs, so I'm not sure if or when I'll be able to release a fix. As for the enemy bouncing, I'll implement that in the next version.

I don't know if I like hammer jump or hammer flip more, I'd dislike to not use a mod that betters a character. Anyway, this mod doesn't work when used in conjunction with hammer jump. Amy's hammer does not hit the ground. Order does not matter.
Dunno if you're willing to fix this, as it's not really in your convenience and you're without incentive to do so.

Hammer jump is scripted in a way that I don't think can be mixed with hammer flip. That script replaces the standard melee attack with the jump ability as long as Amy is running fast enough. Hammer flip, on the other hand, relies on the standard hammer swing (which won't happen with a running start due to the other script) in order to activate the flip. Additionally, I don't see a need to try and fix the incompatibility since hammer jump could update at any time and change the way the two scripts interact.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back