What's Your Perfect Sonic Game?

My dream game would be a sequel of Lost World. Here's the stuff that it would have:

A fully polished story, telling where the Deadly Six came from.

Brand new stages with unique gimmicks. I've made up a list of levels my "Sonic game" has.

6 Red Star Rings per level.

Entirely original OST.

Difficult boss fights.

True Final Boss that is only accessible by getting all of the 7 Chaos Emeralds.

Test Levels.

Etc.

I'm a pretty stereotypical Classic Sonic fan I guess. But my ideal is Sonic Mania, but with an entirely original set of zones. I actually really enjoyed the reimagined old zones in Mania, especially that ones that were barely recognizable past some themes from their originals (Stardust Speedway and Metallic Madness come to mind).

But a Sonic Mania 2 where every level is new would be exactly what I want.

As great as Classic Sonic is, I never actually played it until I was in High School. I've come to love the original four games and when Sonic Mania came out I must've beaten it at least a dozen times. But when it comes down to it, my introduction to Sonic was Sonic Adventure and it will always be a game I hold near and dear. My ideal Sonic game would honestly just be a bigger, more polished iteration of Sonic Adventure, with better physics and less mandatory fishing missions.

Has there ever been a dedicated Modern Sonic game? Full of fast-paced action from start to finish without any alternate gamestyles or deliberate gimmicks which deliberately interrupt the flow of gameplay? Colours and Generations definitely came closest, for sure - but I'd love to have a dedicated Modern Sonic game, similar to how the Rush titles are for 2D gameplay.

And heck, throw the Chao Garden in there too. I'd love to actually play a Chao Garden game while also playing levels which aren't awful to earn rings and stuff. The Chao Garden itself serves as the nice (and most importantly, optional) distraction from the main gameplay when you want to take a break. (Or, on the flipside, the main gameplay serves as a fun distraction from the Chao Garden :P) I know that previous games had gimmicks like fishing, the werehog or heck, even Classic Sonic to break up the action - but honestly I feel like the Chao Garden does that just fine without forcing it down the players' throats.

Colo(u)rs stuck to its guns pretty well through the end. Sure the Wisps could be considered a gimmick but they're integrated directly into the core gameplay, the game never dramatically switches styles from level to level.

On the other hand it's like 90% 2D platforming at a leisurely pace. It almost feels weird to lump it in with Unleashed and Generations and Forces, it doesn't play very similarly at all in practice. It's closest neighbor would honestly be Lost World.

Sonic rush I remember

I rember sonic rush pretty alright game. Fun fact this was my first sonic game.

Has there ever been a dedicated Modern Sonic game? Full of fast-paced action from start to finish without any alternate gamestyles or deliberate gimmicks which deliberately interrupt the flow of gameplay? Colours and Generations definitely came closest, for sure - but I'd love to have a dedicated Modern Sonic game, similar to how the Rush titles are for 2D gameplay..

Honestly if Sega made a fully 3D boost game with only modern Sonic it would be very short (because let's not forget that the werehog was made to extend the game's length).

Colors was a step in the right direction (but paradoxically in the wrong one too because of it's reliance on 2D sections and the Wisp gimmick).

Now if Sega would be able to make a game that basically combine Unleashed, Colours and Generations' boost stages content-wise while having a good replay value is up to them.

Remember that Sonic Rift hoax? Well my dream Sonic game is kinda similar to that.

5 playable characters, everyone plays differently. The story mode uses SA1's style of progression, and an online mode where you can race up to 4 players. There is very little to no nostalgia pandering.

Sonic: Closely follows the boost formula, except you build up speed as you go, like in Sonic Advance 2. Level design is a mix between Unleashed and Generations.

Tails: Mech shooter stages, controls closer to E-102 Gamma in SA1 than he did in SA2.

Knuckles: Treasure hunting with a focus on combat. Kinda similar to the Werehog stages in Unleashed.

Shadow: Plays like he did in SA2 with level design closer to Sonic's levels in SA1.

The fifth character is the Avatar, except he/she has no part in the story. He/she is used in the online mode where you race other people in a similar fashion to Tails' stages in SA1. I would also like to see some more customization options for the avatar, more hair types, the ability to change your avatar's build, and more customizable clothing. I would also like if the female avatar was given a two-piece bodysuit to begin with rather than a one-piece to allow for more customization.

The story should be something along the lines of SA1 or Unleashed, as everyone acts in-character and things don't get too dark and edgy or too lighthearted and kid-friendly. All cutscenes are either pre-rendered or using game assets. No Sonic Forces or TSR text boxes here.

There is a hub world for every location that is visited, an in-between of Unleashed and SA1's hub worlds.

For levels, some themes are returning, and some are brand new. A few I would like to see are:

Beach setting (similar to Emerald Coast or Wave Ocean)
Nighttime city (There's a lot of potential for this one, I'd prefer a mix between Studioplolis and Speed Highway)
Ruined/abandoned area (The Land of Darkness from the OVA comes to mind)

As for side characters, it wouldn't include characters that would seem out of place or are just there for no reason, a good example of this is the inclusion of Silver or Blaze in certain games, they live in their own dimension/timeline and not in the main one. In Forces and TSR it feels like they were just slapped in there for fan service. With that being said i wouldn't mind a spin-off game for Silver.

I kinda lost touch with the official Sonic Games after Sonic Unleashed. It wasn't bad, I liked it but yet after entering the shamar hub world I got bored and stopped caring about finishing the game.
Not enough speeding, there were too many breaks from the daylight boost stages that were awesome.

The artstyle was quite good, if not the best modern Sonic IMO.

I guess a game like Sonic Unleashed but only the boost sections...

I still need to take a look at Sonic Mania, when I have vacation. It looks awesome.
I hope my inner Sonic fan can be blazingly rekindled one day.

Honestly if Sega decided to announce their next major title as a 2.5D platformer I wouldn't even be mad at them.

Best method of attack is what do you like in previous Sonic games, platformers more broad, and games in general.

For me, level design is king. I'd say I like 3D platformers more than the ones of lesser dimension. I mean: Ape Escape, Super Mario Sunshine, and A Hat in Time say hello. As for Sonic, while I enjoy Adventure (1+2) and StH (3D), and I quite enjoy S3&K, my favorite is still Sonic the Hedgehog (16-bit.) (Didn't much care for Mania) I really like "Marble Zone." Finally, I really like playing as Amy (Advance 1 style.) Female character with a blunt instrument is nice, but the real nice thing is replacing spin attack with a timing action.

So my personal perfect sonic game would be a 3D platformer, with emphasis on platforming, with great levels and a player character who has to press a button midair to hit enemies. So, ... SRB2 v2.2? Modding and Multiplayer are just gravy on the cake.

A Rush style game with platforming similar to that of Advance 1 (maybe the Megamix Mania abilities with the expected 3 characters)

Sonic and The Secret Rings + Sonic and The Black Knight in a collection together with actual good controls and a port of Colors (Wii) and Unleashed (Wii). The collection would be called the Sonic Wii Collection with a option on the Switch version to play with motion controls. Also when you beat all the Storybook Series games you get the last game in the Storybook Series and if you beat Unleashed (Wii) and Colors (Wii) you get Generations (Console). When you beat all the games even the ones you unlock you get a from the ground remake of Sonic 1 (Christian Whitehead) that's in 3D. When you beat the Sonic 1 remake you get a sneak peek at the next game.

A boost formula game without 2D sections. It has to be longer than eight hours.
8 hours is way too long for a Sonic game, it's a fast-paced platformer game series, not a RPG one. Maybe adding missions would make the game longer without forcing the player to do those.

Last edited:
8 hours are you mad. That's way to long and I wouldn't even know what that would be like. It would probably be crap like Sonic Forces was. I think any game that pushes the gameplay hours past it's natural limit is asking to be a bad game.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back