• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Scr_twilightrealmWIP.wad - Screenshots are in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashtheman14

Not this moron again...
When I look back on my previous attempts on mapping, I had no idea what kind of map to do first, and this has sparked a dilemma. Should I start with multiplayer maps (match, race etc.) or single player maps? While match maps can be simpler to make, I have no online play experience in srb2 whatsoever- I wouldn't know what would make a good match map, and second, if I make a single player map, I often find myself with mappers block. So what would be the best place to start for me?
Yeah so I've uploaded some screenshots in hope that I'll be steered in the right direction...Just try not to vomit on your keyboard when you look at them... to avoid inconvienience, I've also kept these screenshots in a spoiler box for easier viewing.

EDIT: For those of you who are actually wondering what my plans are for this wad file, let me tell you what I might do.
I want this to have more to it than just one level, because one level (for me) just dosen't give enough to satisfy, so I've decided to have one map for every gametype, to broaden my experiences. I would share my WAD file with you guys but theres hardly anything in it :( I'm sorry that I'm not mapping quickly enough for this, but I want this to be a good release. If you think that what I'm doing is wrong, do say so, as it helps me out a lot. Thanks for the support.

VIBRANT MEADOW ZONE act 1
The screenshots here are of a level with yet no thok barrier, so prepare to feel closed in...
srb20000.png

You'll see this lake at the start of the level, it's small but I fear that making it big woudn't suit the first zone, though this may be re-worked
srb20001.png

This is one of the two secret areas in my map. The prizes here aren't generally rare, because they are near the start of the level and are quite easy to find. This too, may be reworked
srb20002.png

You'll see this second section later on in the map. This looks better up top
rather that down below, like here.
srb20003.png

Oh and there's that in-air screenshot now! This shows off some sector based scenery as well as a peek into a cross-shaped tunnel. The centre of this, needs some serious work done for it.
srb20004.png

This is some now-useless water section nearby the cross-shaped tunnel that has yet to have anything to be put in it though it may be scrapped...
srb20005.png

A peek into the frankly quite bland and incomplete cross-shaped tunnel section which also needs quite a bit of work done to it.
So there you have it. While there's still a long way to go with this project, I hope I'll make something decent by the end. I'll leave the discussion to you guys now...thanks for sticking around!

Last edited:
Welcome there, future designer - In my opinion, I think the best to do is to start with a Single Player map. A simple map, really simple. I myself started with 1-P maps, and I always progressed in my design with 1P (or sometimes, I made some races... they're almost the same thing - almost). 1P should be the best because it is the one which bring the more experience, because its maps contain the most sectors. CTF / Match is a strategic building, because to make a nice map, each sector where the players can run must be properly installed. Each sector in these 2 modes represent something in the gameplay (If Sonic can't jump enough high to reach a higher sector which contains a powerful explosive ring, then that's mean he has to use a specific passage..for example.)

So yeah, I think start with 1P maps is better, because they'll bring the most experience of building in general. But that's just my opinion, of course.

Single Player, mainly because they're far less complicated than Multiplayer maps.
Not really. A good single player map is excessively complex, whereas a good Match stage (and even moreso, a good CTF stage) is much smaller, simpler and more straightforward. The thing is that it's much harder to find out if a multiplayer stage is any good, because you need to understand the workings of the mode and need to play the map extensively to check how well it plays. For a single player map, you just give the map to somebody and asks them if they're having fun.

Not really. A good single player map is excessively complex, whereas a good Match stage (and even moreso, a good CTF stage) is much smaller, simpler and more straightforward. The thing is that it's much harder to find out if a multiplayer stage is any good, because you need to understand the workings of the mode and need to play the map extensively to check how well it plays. For a single player map, you just give the map to somebody and asks them if they're having fun.

You know what? I'm going to do a little bit of both! I may post in the editing forum with my file when it's about, say...40% complete? But this won't be done quickly oh no it won't, not until I learn more techniques off of the srb2 wiki...but I thank you all for the advice and if theres anything else you guys want to mention feel free to.

When I first started wadding, I tried to start off with a small idea, and build off of that, as its always so easy to get discouraged when starting something new (This happened to me very often, I have hundreds of old map files that I've only worked on once or twice). So whether you decide to make a match or single player map, just remember to start small -baby steps and all that. And when you get something new, I would just post them in this topic, as opposed to making a new thread with an unfinished level, it'll be easier to keep everything organized. Either way, do keep us updated! It's always good to see a new designer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back