Deep sea zone act 2 level design is stupid

The level has one example of this already, but waterslides are an easy and fun way to implement lower paths. If you fail a platforming section, you fall into a waterslide that rockets you to another section of the level.

The ending is a bit odd, but that was a result of us trying to make the temple ending not confusing during development. You didn't used to spring up to the top like that, for instance.

Haha! It's funny you say that. I've watched people play that part of the level for the first time, soar over to the top of the temple, and they ask themselves, "Was that supposed to happen?" It really does feel like someone was developing that part of the level and was like, "F--- it. I'll just put some red springs so they can skip to the end."

Personally, I don't hate the stage, though. I may be in the minority, but I don't actually mind puzzles in Sonic games. My biggest gripes with it are those switches with an unclear purpose. Like that one near the beginning of Act 1, where you push a statue to open a secret wall, which leads to a room with a purple switch in it. I have no idea what that switch does.

Oh, BTW. What happened with the statue stacking thing? You know, in the older versions, where you'd stack three statues on top of each other and use them to keep a wall from crushing you? Were those deemed too confusing?

Last edited:
Haha! It's funny you say that. I've watched people play that part of the level for the first time, soar over to the top of the temple, and they ask themselves, "Was that supposed to happen?" It really does feel like someone was developing that part of the level and was like, "F--- it. I'll just put some red springs so they can skip to the end."

Personally, I don't hate the stage, though. I may be in the minority, but I don't actually mind puzzles in Sonic games. My biggest gripes with it are those switches with an unclear purpose. Like that one near the beginning of Act 1, where you push a statue to open a secret wall, which leads to a room with a purple switch in it. I have no idea what that switch does.

Oh, BTW. What happened with the statue stacking thing? You know, in the older versions, where you'd stack three statues on top of each other and use them to keep a wall from crushing you? Were those deemed too confusing?

I don't know, i also found strange that the section was gone. Some parts of the game we're cut like for example the sewers and the cannons on castle eggman zone. (Those we're the only one's i found missing but there could be more idk)

Gargoyle pushing was reworked from 2.1 to 2.2, so that instead of freely pushing a gargoyle onto a button, you now simply slide the gargoyle to the other end of a small fixed track. I assume this rework is why the statue stacking puzzle didn't make it to 2.2's version of DSZ. 2.1's DSZ has some emblems hidden behind pushing gargoyles on buttons or otherwise using them to open new areas (like the example you brought up); 2.2's DSZ instead has some emblems hidden behind simply stepping on buttons, occasionally aided by the new method of gargoyle pushing.

2.2 does have a few instances of the old method of gargoyle pushing, but the only actual secret hidden behind old-school gargoyle pushing that I can think of is the spring chain room in DSZ1, which doesn't have any emblems or emerald tokens, merely an extra life.

Nev3r, please bring back your Hydrocity maps. Retexture them, and wow, what a great DSZ2!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back