Sonic Colors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
stuff
Oh, because we really needed your post to tell us that.
I got the soundtrack on my MP3 player; it's pretty dang awesome for the most part. Can't say I really care for Sweet Mountain's tunes.
Eh, same with Sweet Mountain. Although, I really like the beginning of Act 1! (The other acts in Sweet Mountain also sound cool)

Last edited:
Played the first few levels so far. Pretty good so far. Nothing too new so far, but people were too busy hating Unleashed 360/PS3 for no reason to figure that out.

Autosaver, the Sonic Simulator are the special stages.

Once you collect all the Red Rings, all the Gameland(Or Sonic Simulator) stages will unlock. Once you beat all the levels there Super Sonic will be playable.

Anyway, my feelings about the game:

I would go as far as to say better then Adventure 1 and 2, but that would bring the old fans here trying to change my opinion, but yeah. Sonic Colors is the best 3D Sonic game I've played, and definitely the best this decade.

Think Sonic Unleashed 2. Speed remains the same - only boost has been lowered. It's pretty much luck if you can boost now. The only way to get boost is to kill an enemy(enemies don't have a 100% chance of giving it) or picking up a white Wisp powerup. The level design is also much better then Unleashed. Your not just holding 1 direction and jumping, you are actively pressing buttons in all directions.

The game's story is decent. It has it's cheesy lines, but I actually found myself giggling a bit over how dumb the jokes are. The only voice actor who didn't get removed was Eggman, and he deserved to stay. Roger Craig Smith(Dude did some RE5 and Valkyrie Chronicles work, IIRC) potrays Sonic the exact way he feels like he should sound like. The only voice actor who I think shouldn't stay for another Sonic game is Tails(Kate Higgins - who also voices Wave in Sonic Free Rider). She made Tails sound from a 4 year old girl to a 8 year old girl with a sore throat. Not that great to hear.

The game has hard moments Some are frusterating to no end, but otherwise the difficulty bar is up there. Doing a no hit run is very difficult.

The final boss is the only part in the game that infuriates me to no end. I've never seen a boss put in a setting more amazing then an elevator on a giant floating amusement park that's blowing up from the inside out. It both amazes me and makes me power off my Wii every Game Over I get from it. It's just really cheap.

While I go on, here are some more downers.
- There is no spindash
- You can jump forever in the water
- Some Wisps are barely used/given(Like the Green Hover)
- There's only 4 "original" bosses. All the other bosses are just somewhat harder versions of the others.
- Bosses die in 2-3 hits if you use the Wisp power. This makes it incredibly easy to kill a boss.
- If you're not going fast, the controls are slippery. They feel chunked, and not responsive. I've tried with the Nunchuck and my Gamecube controller, and both feel shitty if you're not holding a direction.
- Unlocking Super Sonic is confusing. The game offers not one hint on what you're supposed to do. What to do is to collect all the hidden red rings in every stage. The Sonic Simulator(The Metal Sonic head thing on the main map; It's referred to as Gameland ingame) will add a stage to every world there after so many rings. Once you beat all the stages there(which requires you to get all the red rings), you unlock Super Sonic, who has unlimited boost and the likes.The game doesn't even acknowledge Gameland, anyway.

Play Sonic Colors if you have a Wii. Seriously; it has the best graphics on the Wii this year. There are few stages that are just plain junk/boring. For a Sonic game, it's a step in the right direction.

That, and I hate Kate Higgins voice acting Tails.

This game looks SOOO much like Sonic Unleashed, besides a few things...

The gameplay also looks somewhat similar, of course exluding those little colorful thingies.

Well, at least there's no werehog. ^_^

The new sonic voice irritates me so! It sounds like some random YouTube user is making some weird sonic movie!

The new sonic voice irritates me so! It sounds like some random YouTube user is making some weird sonic movie!

To be fair, chances are most of us didn't appreciate Jason Griffith's voice of Sonic either.*

Just give it a few games, eventually it will sound better than Griffith.

*To be honest though, Griffith sounded really good in Sonic Unleashed.

I don't mind them changing voices, it's just, this voice just sounds un-animated. Too real you know? Like if the spongebob actor started talking in normal tone. I honestly thought that video was a joke...

Omega (omegavelocity) is available 4:22 pm

Bigboi1765
4:22 pm
Starlight Carnival Act 1.
where have you been all my life

Omega
I TOLD YOU

Bigboi1765
4:23 pm
holy fucking shiiiiiiiiiiit
like, you're fucking flying everywhere then there's motobugs you gotta cut off then there's these blue rings that you swap then oh shit you gotta jump onto those silver blocks and oh shit I am having fun with a sonic game

Omega
4:26 pm
i toooooold yoooou

Like, what did they have to throw in a werehog for last time? This is fucking perfect.

Destrutoid just gave it a 4.5.
http://www.destructoid.com/review-sonic-colors-187691.phtml
A lot of people have been complaining it was a crappy review. On the other hand, people are thinking he is trolling Sega.

Sega gave him a free copy(Review copy) of the DS version. With an attached drawing of him on it!
187658-jimtroll.jpg

http://www.destructoid.com/this-is-how-sega-sees-destructoid-s-reviews-editor-187658.phtml

I just read that review, and he seems to be overeacting quite a lot. Most of the points he was saying about the platforming, I was thinking to myself,
"Wait, was he even jumping?" when he was explaining the 2D parts.
Personally, I got this game yesterday and I finished this morning, I found it too much fun. I've been playing planet Wisp over and over again, I'm learning how to play that music. The only part I found VERY frustrating was in Terminal Velocity with Mr Squid Guy of punching things. Ugh. All the other times, you just stop boosting, it's a privelage, not a right.
Anyway, I disagree with that review, that was an awesome game experience. I was panicking at the final boss thinking:
"Oh jeez, he's going way too fast, he'll hit me," (though i beat him on the first go)
Fun. That was all this game was.

All the people who said that Game Land wasn't as pretty as the main game didn't get the point of Game Land.

I think the point of it was to give a 8bit coop mode but still playing like the original(Switching between 3D to 2D), which obviously isn't possible if it all was 8bit. So they used a basic background to help give a feel of classicness.

Also yeah Bigboi, I freaked out on Starlight Carnival Act 1 as well when I played it.

Omega (omegavelocity) is available 4:22 pm

Bigboi1765
Starlight Carnival Act 1.
where have you been all my life

Omega
I TOLD YOU

Bigboi1765
4:23 pm
holy fucking shiiiiiiiiiiit
like, you're fucking flying everywhere then there's motobugs you gotta cut off then there's these blue rings that you swap then oh shit you gotta jump onto those silver blocks and oh shit I am having fun with a sonic game

Omega
4:26 pm
i toooooold yoooou

I told you, man! I told you about Sonic Colors! :V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back