Resource icon
This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

digaly

Enemy Variations is a LUA mod that adds simple modifiers to all badniks in the game. The current modifiers are:
  • Goop dropping
  • Fire (spinning flame jet)
  • Spikeball
  • Laser shooting
  • Big papa (spawns baby badniks of same type)
  • Speed (gotta go fast)

The chances of a badnik spawning with one of these modifiers is done in a weighted random fashion, since some variations are tougher than others.

Along with these modifiers, most badniks in the game have been given skin colors.
This allows them to display which variations they have by their color. When an enemy has two variations, it will be white.

Has been tested in netplay, though there is a small chance of getting a SIGSEGV.

You're allowed to modify and redistribute this mod, just give me credit.

Attachments

• srb20019.png
    srb20019.png
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,159
  • srb20021.png
    srb20021.png
    171.7 KB · Views: 1,164
  • srb20025.png
    srb20025.png
    145.4 KB · Views: 1,022
  • srb20027.png
    srb20027.png
    172.8 KB · Views: 1,215
  • VL_EnemyVariations-v1.8b.zip
    298.2 KB · Views: 1,631
Last edited:
Nothing compares to the sheer terror I felt when I saw a Big Daddy Crushtacean blocking my path in DSZ.

Welcome to releases!

Getting some heavy Doom randomizer vibes from this one. Will definitely turn it on often, seems like it'd give a lot of variety to runs!

I've gone ahead and updated it as promised. 1.8 adds support for two new (secret) badniks:
- Bumblebore
- Penguinator

I also added coloring support for:
- Secret badniks mentioned abbove
- Snapper turtle
- Skim
- Snailer
- Deton

I hosted a netgame and did a full co-op playthrough with this and it was pretty fun. I love the randomized enemies and what it adds to the game.

But in several levels (CEZ2, ACZ2, and AGZ) there was a significant drop in FPS that wasn't normal for me, and only happened in a netgame with this file loaded. I can't recreate this in single-player however so make of that what you will.

Some of the other variants have quirks but aren't necessarily game-breaking (such as minus' with flame jets destroy themselves because they jump up into their own flames). But something that IS urgent and should be looked at as soon as possible though is that some of the deton variants are causing sigsegv crashes when they see the player and activate.

Not sure what I can do about the FPS drop, those are levels with tons of badniks.

I'm aware that detons sigsegv the game. I thought they weren't used in the main campaign, but apparently they are in THZ2.

I'll take a look at it today. I also got some suggestions during netplay for new variations, so I'll be doing that as well.

Thanks for trying it out!

Edit: I released a hotfix for now that fixes Detons crashing the game. It has something to do with P_Move being called in MobjThinker for a deton, and P_Move referring to some invalid memory location. So it's not a 'real' fix but P_Move doesn't work for flying enemies anyway. This means Detons still have working variations, with the exception of speed (they'll move at normal speed, like all flying mobs with the speed modifier).

Last edited:
But in several levels (CEZ2, ACZ2, and AGZ) there was a significant drop in FPS that wasn't normal for me, and only happened in a netgame with this file loaded. I can't recreate this in single-player however so make of that what you will.

This seems to happen with several of my other scripts; even ones that only feature a single simplistic ThinkFrame hook. It seems to be an issue with the game, and not the scripts.

So here I was pondering how to improve levels for more fun and that the crawla is such a cool looking enemy which however doesn't provide too much of a challenge.

And I remembered BlazeHedgehogs SA-SRB2 mod. Which had crawlas shooting projectiles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLjYx_WCzF0 Isn't that nifty? They even look like tiny tanks.

So I thought I could recreate these and looked through these releases for examples to get a rough grasp of Lua.

Turns out you've beaten me to the punch by a far stretch. You're evTypes = "laser" is almost exactly what I've been looking for!

The other variations were even more entertaining and funny. I love it! I will be sure to give you credit if I decide to deploy some miniature tank crawlas in the future. This mod deserves all the attention :)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back