Chaos zero wad help

Status
Not open for further replies.

1upMason

Hello, I have recently made a couple of front sprites for Chaos zero, and I was hoping to get some feedback on which one looks the best. Please tell me which background color so that I know which sprite you like the best. That will give me a better idea of which one I should keep working on. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

chaos_final_fronts_by_1masupbro-da5n5ta.png

Last edited:
Hello, I have recently made a couple of front sprites for Chaos zero, and I was hoping to get some feedback on which one looks the best. Please tell me which background color so that I know which sprite you like the best. That will give me a better idea of which one I should keep working on. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

chaos_final_fronts_by_1masupbro-da5n5ta.png

Well, these sprites look fine, though I'd suggest 2 things:

1) Make him colored green. This way, you'll avoid certain sections of the sprites (The Cyan colors, I think) disappearing in game. Plus, it will be great when used in Multiplayer's different colors.

2) The background needs to be the Cyan color (If I'm not mistaken), because when you use the sprites on your .wad file, the background won't appear in-game.

Thanks! I will edit chaos zero's sprite to make look green, so that it won't cause any issues with the colors itself. Also I was asking overall which sprite looks the best, but it's fine that you said they all were okay. :)

1) Make him colored green. This way, you'll avoid certain sections of the sprites (The Cyan colors, I think) disappearing in game.
While I'm not going to say "don't use green", I would like to say you're wrong. The completely cyan colour is not "the transparent colour" in sprites/textures (unless you use XWE). It's commonly used as such, because it's a colour which is rarely used, but it can be used just fine. See Slade's image-converting thing. You can set the transparency to go by the source image's alpha or a custom colour, leaving cyan visible.

This is pretty cool! A little out of style but nice overall! Keep at it! :)

Personally speaking, I prefer the last one. It just seems to have the finest shading choice, and the head shape seems to be more well defined in it too.

Onto the sprite itself, I do have to say that it's pretty good. Not "SRB2 styled", but that might not be a valid concern, given it's still very well done.

Last edited:
I'd recommend making the eyes and brain separate sprites so that the main body could be transparent, but to each their own I guess. My favorite of the sprites would have to be the one with the silver background, though.

I have an question for you guys, how do I make it into a srb2 styled character then? I was looking around on the internet and really couldn't find any good tutorials for shading. Also another question is how many shades do you need for one color. In this example lets say "blue" because earlier I did some research and it says on the Wiki that blue has 16 shades. So the real question I'm trying to ask is do you need 16 shades of that color or can you have less. Thanks!

Last edited:
You don't necessarily need to use every shade of a color range from the palette, so obviously you can have less than that. As long as you apply anti aliasing to the shading and the outlines, that's already close to the SRB2 style.

If you want, you're free to use my Chaos Zero sprite for reference. Includes both the green version and the default cyan color:

65OL38s.png

Friendly notice that the greens on his eyes are not the main green from the palette, but they are taken from the Neon_Green portion of the palette instead.

I'm very like chaos zero from sonic adventure dx, i'm very hope you will suicess at making those sprites...

That's closer to what the SRB2 style aims to be already. Only nitpicks being that maybe you should've kept his hands and feet bigger like they were before, given that they look too small now. I'd also make his chest bigger too, similar to how the sprite on the left had it like. Keeping Chaos with big proportions is a good way to make him quite intimidating (as he's kind of intended to be anyway).

Also, one thing to notice when making characters green, and that is to look how they would translate into their default/preferred skin color in the palette:

H72eHcR.png

This is pretty much the reason my Chaos sprite has such a strong contrast in the green, in order to actually look proper when it changes into the Cyan color.

Your first Chaos sprite is awesome and all, but it's a bit too shiny. Try using the fabulous MoterRoaches example to give off a more natural look so the wad doesn't look strange with shading.

(Update) Just wanted to let you guys know that I still search the forms, but haven't got done with my chaos wad. The main reason why is because of school, and it is my senior year so focusing on grades is the most important, but I will continue working on this wad when I have the time off of work and school. Thanks.

Closing in on a year, but I have done another version of Chaos. This time it looks similar to MotorRoach's, but kept my old features the same. He is a little bulkier, but I think he should just work out fine.
chaos_zero_sprite_final_by_1masupbro-dbv6x3j.png

Closing in on a year, but I have done another version of Chaos. This time it looks similar to MotorRoach's, but kept my old features the same. He is a little bulkier, but I think he should just work out fine.
chaos_zero_sprite_final_by_1masupbro-dbv6x3j.png

Wow! You have surely improved here, your sprite work looks great!

Keep doing like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back