[Open Assets] Red Star (Super Mario Galaxy) [V7 UPDATE]

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SSG3

Oh, THAT Youtuber...
The Red Star from Super Mario Galaxy makes an appearance in SRB2. It's goal? To grant it's user (apart from those with CA_SWIM) the ability to fly! (or infinite flight for players with CA_FLY)

As there's no test map for this, terminal has to be used to spawn it. (or in doombuilder with mapthingnum 4050).

Controls:

Non-flyers, double jump while holding Custom 2 to start flying.
Custom 1 pauses you in midair while flying.
Custom 3 while flying will end a flight.
While flying, Jump button makes you fly up, Spin to go down (apart from holding Custom 1)

The powerup has a time limit of 64 seconds before you lose the powerup
You can refill the timer by grabbing another one before it runs out.

(For those of you curious of which music slot the powerup uses, it uses slot 9, the old DSZ1 music)

Copyright to Nintendo for the sounds and music (just in case, I never know when I'll need it)

And for those of you that are wondering, it IS intentional for the bots to enhance these effects, too.
EducatedThornyBaiji.gif
DeadEminentIrishredandwhitesetter.gif
MintyHardAustralianfurseal.gif

V7 - Sonic now uses a custom sprite when flying. Sprite courtesy of Hedgefox.
Final bugfix to metal sonic and metal anyone being invisible when flying, for sure.

V6 - Fix to Metal Sonic and Metal Anyone being invisible when flying.

V5 - Changed from not holding custom 2 to holding custom 2 to activate flight. (Horray for AbilitySpecial)
Added support for CA_NONE users to fly.
Metal sonic goes at his normalspeed in his S_SKIN when flying to prevent overdrive activation.

V4 - A warning sound now plays when you have 3 seconds of power left.
The speed of flight is the player's normalspeed + 15*FRACUNIT.

V3.2 - Initial Release.

Attachments

• RedStarV7.zip
    896.3 KB · Views: 1,457
Last edited:
Nice to see something.... interesting, Maybe in the future you could make a test level that could make this ability more useful?

Either way, Welcome to releases. I truly look forward to you completing your other projects.

I might suggest to make the color blink when the power-up is almost finished or to add a visible timer, because counting 64 seconds isn't the best thing, and the music doesn't really give a clue about when exactly the power-up will end and let you fall down ACZ pits.

Also, I see you didn't take my advice: This power up looks like a downgrade in the way that it makes you go soooo slow!
And RIP CA_NONE characters.

I might suggest to make the color blink when the power-up is almost finished or to add a visible timer, because counting 64 seconds isn't the best thing, and the music doesn't really give a clue about when exactly the power-up will end and let you fall down ACZ pits.

Also, I see you didn't take my advice: This power up looks like a downgrade in the way that it makes you go soooo slow!
And RIP CA_NONE characters.

Advice taken, lat. Check the changelog for details. V4 is out.

For CA_NONE characters, couldn't you do something like check if the player has jumped and then pressed jump in the air?

Maybe it's just me and I'm crazy (it's been known to happen).

For CA_NONE characters, couldn't you do something like check if the player has jumped and then pressed jump in the air?

Maybe it's just me and I'm crazy (it's been known to happen).

Just realised, as it checks for PF_THOKKED, CA_NONE characters can activate it with a jump shield.

Quick question... is the flight supposed to be stoppable? I can't seem to stop myself. Other than that, great job!

I believe CA_NONE characters are excluded from using it because most if not all characters that have Lua-fueled abilities won't be assigned a normal one and will instead be assigned CA_NONE.

See, when you code an ability for a character and you finally get it to work normally in the vanilla game, you most likely won't be adding any exceptions to add-ons that may confict with it. The Red Star here for example requires the jump button to rise, and multiple characters use the jump button for custom abilities. If the above restriction of CA_NONE was not there, you'd see really silly things like Jasper shooting stars while flying with a Red Star or Shadow using Chaos Control and completely breaking how the Red Star moves the player.

Even having these CA_NONE characters use the Red Star after using a Whirlwind Shield is a little risky... some don't properly check to see if a character can still use their ability, and some people might want their character to be able to perform their ability after using the shield! There's a lot of uncontrollable factors involved with getting an add-on to work with every character out there, and it's much easier (and standard) to simply sanction it to work with vanilla characters and abilities.

UnsungGloomyAttwatersprairiechicken.gif
You were saying?

(I really just gave Jasper CA_DOUBLEJUMP to make sure it recognized he used his ability)

I also tested with Hinote and it works just about as well

Also Shadow, despite how buggy he currently is, works just fine with the red star. I didn't even have to give him or Hinote CA_DOUBLEJUMP to test it, either

EDIT: Yeah, I used the old version for this gif but I just tested all three characters again and it works perfectly fine, in fact the update fixed the bug where Jasper would still shoot a star while taking flight. As a side effect, however, you can no longer just hold down custom 3 to use Jasper's normal ability. (Honestly though, using AbilitySpecial would probably fix this...)

Last edited:
I believe CA_NONE characters are excluded from using it because most if not all characters that have Lua-fueled abilities won't be assigned a normal one and will instead be assigned CA_NONE.

See, when you code an ability for a character and you finally get it to work normally in the vanilla game, you most likely won't be adding any exceptions to add-ons that may confict with it. The Red Star here for example requires the jump button to rise, and multiple characters use the jump button for custom abilities. If the above restriction of CA_NONE was not there, you'd see really silly things like Jasper shooting stars while flying with a Red Star or Shadow using Chaos Control and completely breaking how the Red Star moves the player.

Even having these CA_NONE characters use the Red Star after using a Whirlwind Shield is a little risky... some don't properly check to see if a character can still use their ability, and some people might want their character to be able to perform their ability after using the shield! There's a lot of uncontrollable factors involved with getting an add-on to work with every character out there, and it's much easier (and standard) to simply sanction it to work with vanilla characters and abilities.

That's because the LUA checks for PF_THOKKED to check whether they can fly or not. I wasn't planning it to be used with custom characters, unfortunately, but if bugs arise from it, I'll add compatibility to that character to prevent it.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

...when i tried spawning it, it ended up crashing my game

That's just a problem your end. Try spawning it again, everyone else that spawned it didn't have their game crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back