What if we gave Sonic no ability?

Sorry I meant horizontal. Basically how would Sonic fall horizontally?

It's not so much that he would fall horizontally, it's more that he would slow fall downward and the player would have horizontal control in all directions. Think Knuckles' glide, but more freedom to change speed and direction.

The Thok isn't classic Sonic either.

I know that's why we decided to drop the "Classic".

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 AM ----------

How about we give him a Thok that allows him to cling to a wall for just a moment and allow him to launch to another wall, but not allowing him to go any higher. Kinda like in the Sonic CD Intro.

time gear said:
Think Knuckles' glide, but more freedom to change speed and direction.
Just so I understand, do you imply something like the freefall shown here?

I don't see how a slowfall ability makes sense on Sonic. Sonic is all about ground speed and his ability should reflect that. Maybe Metal could have slowfall?

Double jump and dropdash doesn't sound too bad, but you wouldn't be able to use the dropdash if you had a shield or if you had 7 chaos emeralds and 50+ rings.

My two cents as (someone who has been following the game for years but is still) a noob.

I like the thok. I think instead of trying to change Sonic to be more beginner-friendly, it should just be made more clear that he isn't a character for beginners. It is strange that the title character isn't who you should immediately be playing, but that's more of a problem(?) with Sonic as a character himself than with SRB2 - a very fast character is going to be difficult to control. He's not exactly the all-rounder that Mario is.

I know when I first played I thought to myself "well it's Sonic Robo Blast 2, I'm supposed to play as Sonic" even though I was more interested in Knuckles. Later on I started getting my ass handed to me, so I started a Knuckles game, and I had a much easier and more fun time. If I was getting a friend into the game I would probably recommend playing as him first.

If you're dead set on making him a simple beginner character, then I think something as simple as giving him the homing attack would be very appealing to new players who are still getting used to engaging enemies in 3D. I also like the idea of making the spindash more useful for him somehow. I remember very frequently trying to use it to get more distance out of jumps, since I'm so used to Sonic Adventure. But it's pretty useless compared to the thok, and it doesn't feel very good. The physics overhaul sounds very nice too, and I would look forward to it.

slimpini said:
it should just be made more clear that he isn't a character for beginners
All the written warnings don't seem to work at all - not everyone may bother reading them. And there can be people like me, who did read all the warnings but still chose to play as Sonic. So, unless you are implying that playing as Sonic should switch on some kind of hidden hard mode, the devs were clear as day on that.

If you're dead set on making him a simple beginner character, then I think something as simple as giving him the homing attack would be very appealing to new players who are still getting used to engaging enemies in 3D.

Although the homing attack could be more beginner friendly, the SRB2 level design absolutely does not have the homing attack in mind and the team would basically have to redesign entire areas of Zones to fit Sonic’s new way of gameplay. This would also hurt the pacing of the other characters in the respective levels, as now the levels not only would have to cater to the homing attack, but now also to the other characters as well, which would need a very high level of skill in terms of level designing or just simply impossible.

I don't see how a slowfall ability makes sense on Sonic. Sonic is all about ground speed and his ability should reflect that. Maybe Metal could have slowfall?

Considering it's been stated that an ability that easily allows Sonic to exceed his max run speed goes against the fundamentals, what kind of ability could even assist his ground speed while also being welcoming to newcomers and appealing to veterans? Not to mention we are talking about air abilities, so that's difficult to translate into ground speed.

I also generally disagree with your statement. While Sonic is often portrayed as being all about running fast, far more often than not he's not actually capable of more speed than the other characters, his ability in the air is typically something that preserves game flow. Homing Attack, Air Dash, Double Jump, all of these serve the purpose of correcting his movement so that he doesn't fall and die or have to redo a section as often, the mentality is more preserving flow rather than speed.

A slow fall would work well at this, especially combined with a higher jump height. It would serve the practical purpose of greatly extending his midair horizontal potential to cross large gaps, while also functioning as a correctional tool to help aim where you are landing and return to a platform you jumped from if you changed your mind.

I Think Cobalt's Double Jump and Drop Dash are perfect. I mean I'd take just the Drop Dash, but the Double Jump would be just cool.

All the written warnings don't seem to work at all - not everyone may bother reading them. And there can be people like me, who did read all the warnings but still chose to play as Sonic. So, unless you are implying that playing as Sonic should switch on some kind of hidden hard mode, the devs were clear as day on that.
You're not wrong. I was the same way, so I'm not sure exactly what I would do. I don't really have much else to add as I think the physics overhaul and/or keeping the thok but rebalancing its speed sound like good ideas, and I'd need to wait to be able to actually try either of those out to give any further feedback.

You're not wrong. I was the same way, so I'm not sure exactly what I would do. I don't really have much else to add as I think the physics overhaul and/or keeping the thok but rebalancing its speed sound like good ideas, and I'd need to wait to be able to actually try either of those out to give any further feedback.

Same here, I think giving the community a chance to try out the new physics engine would be beneficial as people can give their feedback on it to make sure it’s as close to perfect as it could be.

Unfortunately that's not going to happen they don't want us to know what's going on nor do they need are help.

Yeah I presumed so, meh, I could always dream. I’m just excited to see what they could come up with.

(Besides, a flame war would probably start considering how vast people’s opinions range on this MB, not that that’s a bad thing though.)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back