[Open Assets] Mania/S3K's Elemental Shields

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Sapheros

SH_FLAMEAURA

SH_BUBBLEWRAP

SH_THUNDERCOIN

These 3 shields according to SRB2's wiki are unused variables. With this knowledge, people have filled those slots with completely custom shields, making really cool and somewhat situational shields. But no one as of yet, thought about recreating the three variables that haven't been. Until now.

5cUMmIw.gif

Introducing the Flame Shield, Bubble Shield and Lighting Shield from Sonic 3 and Knuckles!

These shields works similar to semi.colon's S3K Shields lua (v1.5a/1.6) however, it is easily accessible for ALL characters! Not only can Sonic himself use them, but Tails and Knuckles can as well! This can easily be done when pressing the Spin button while jumping.

Flame Shield: Immune to Fire and Lava, but is lost when going in water.

Ability - Fire Dash: Dashes the player at a dynamic burst based on the player's speed with a hanging in midair effect, also leaves a fire trail during the dash.

sfWGgOV.gif

Thunder Shield: Immune to electricity, and can attract rings. It also shorts out underwater.

Ability - Lightning Jump: A simple double jump.
Ability 2: Shocksplosion: When losing the Thunder Shield underwater, it will cause a 500*FRACUNIT nuke around the player, this can hurt other players in Match/CTF.

kyIoi24.gif

Bubble Shield: Protects the player from drowning in water and space, immune to chemical water.

Ability - Buoyant Bounce: Forcefully stops all momentum in midair and drops the player down to the ground to a simple bounce up (which also damages enemies 70*FRACUNITS near the player, after bouncing, the player can use their jumping ability as an option. When bouncing into goo water, if the player is under the goo water for more than two seconds, they will be bounced back up, unable to use any abilities until the player lands.

k8wuYEh.gif

Flame Shield Monitor - Thing Number 420 blaze it

Bubble Shield Monitor - Thing Number 421

Thunder Shield Monitor - Thing Number 422

Version 2.3 and up features a few bug fixes that I missed for the shields in version 2.1, however, a new version of the shields are finally here to dazzle your eyes, just like in it's original appearance.

M8QY3Lv.gif

Yep, that's right, Sonic Mania's Elemental Shield sprites are here! They feature even more frames of animation compared to the originals, which means more and new sprites, more states, and just so much better to look at. ManiaS3KShieldsV3.wad is the name, and it's probably gonna be the default wad for S3K Shields knowing all of us. The original is still there if you're still feeling interested in the le olde nostalgia.

These shields have monitors that will spawn them and are reuseable to be inserted into a stage of your liking. However if you just want to play with them, keep an eye out for the vanilla shield monitors, as they may automatically be replaced by one of the 3 shields. With this you can have access to all of the shields in gameplay, but If you want to try them all out, add ShieldsTest.wad and warp to this map via Map Change or the map command:
Code:
map mapzz
AUTOMATIC KNOWN BUG: I already know that there are characters with spin-button-in-midair abilities that have support for the whirlwind shield, if these features DO become permanent or the level pack in question is using these, please inform the players that most characters cannot be supported by these shields and there is really nothing I can do about it as such.

Credits to Joat for the original attempted recreation of the Attraction code in lua
Credits to MonsterIestyn for help with bug-fixing Joat's Attraction code slightly

Credits to Inuyasha for giving the two above the middle finger and using a script 10x shorter than the original
Credits to Hedgefox for the custom monitor sprites
Credits to semi.colon for the original S3K Shields lua script
Credits to Rapidgame7 for putting up with my lua fuck ups and fixing everything
Credits to toaster for the ideas of the shield animations and the resource sprites for the original shields
Credits to the spriters resource for the official rips of the S3K shield sprites as well as Mania's version of the shields

Attachments

• TheE-Shields.zip
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,549
Last edited:
Welp shit. What wonderful timing since SURBARASHII's announcement. I just know everyone will be using these... But not before I use them first! >:3

What do you mean? I'm pretty sure you just got a hand of one of my betas e.e

Jokes aside, that issue has been fixed.

Also to note: It is literally impossible to bring the attraction to the Thunder Shield until 2.2.
The way the original C script has has been set up in the source code, there is very little chance to actually emulate it at all without lagging the game to hell, and attracting the rings properly. Sorry guys :/

In addition to this update, just so this stuff isn't locked to mod makers, you too can use some of the shields! Shieldreplacement.lua will replace Force Shields and Underwater Elemental Shields with the Bubble Shield, while Elemental Shields not submerged in water will become the Flame Shield!

Not only that, but a shitty test level has been added as well so you can try out the shields without risking the chances of ruining an already established level. More or less, this will teach you the ropes of each shield and what they can do.

Also to note: It is literally impossible to bring the attraction to the Thunder Shield until 2.2.
The way the original C script has has been set up in the source code, there is very little chance to actually emulate it at all without lagging the game to hell, and attracting the rings properly. Sorry guys :/

I truly owe you all an apology cause-

oshit attraction
9WSRDvD.gif

Yes, the Attraction Script in S3KShields is now fully functional for both the Attraction and Thunder Shield! However, because of this, it will automatically cause lag in CEZ2 due to the stage's massive size and ring amount. ShieldReplacement.lua has also been updated to support the Thrunder Shield, replacing the Attraction Shield Monitor entirely.

If you're going to accept some lag anyway, then at least take this as a replacement to LUA_ATRT.

Code:
local p_list = {}
local p_time = -1

function A_AttractChase(actor, var1, var2)
	if leveltime != p_time
		p_time = leveltime
		p_list = {}
		for pl in players.iterate()
			if (pl.powers[pw_shield] & SH_NOSTACK) == SH_THUNDERCOIN
				table.insert(p_list, pl)
			end
		end
	end

for _,pl in pairs(p_list)
		pl.powers[pw_shield] = ($1 & SH_STACK) | SH_ATTRACT
	end
	super(actor, var1, var2)
	for _,pl in pairs(p_list)
		pl.powers[pw_shield] = ($1 & SH_STACK) | SH_THUNDERCOIN
	end
end

CEZ2 is a lost cause with any Lua replacement of A_AttractChase (even replacing it with a blank function would lag), but everything else is comparatively better.

Last edited:
>_> made me look like a fuckin tool af

Yeah, another update, while the lag in CEZ2 is practically unstoppable, this new script at best should bring it back up a frame or two.

Nerf update for S3K Shields: Bubble Shield now has a weaker bounce back up, for anyone that is working on SUGOI 2 with it.

This should be the last update for the S3K Shields.

Introducing Monitor respawning: (By TehRealSalt)

yKOk31X.gif

If you plan on playing with the S3K Shields in Match/Tag/CTF, no need to worry about adding ShieldReplacement.lua, as the monitors are now added to a custom random monitor table. However you still need to load it in co-op to see the monitors in gameplay.

Shocksplosion: A secondary ability to the Thunder Shield that works when you lose it underwater, anything around 200*FRACUNIT will be damaged, it can be useful as a medium ranged attack in a pinch.

Bubble Shield's Surround Slam: A very minor addition to the Bubble Shield, when slamming on the ground into the bounce, a very small radius attack can attack nearby enemies on the ground.

Bug Fixes:
1: Analog players can have their Bubble Shield and keep their analog mode too! P_InstaThrust probably should have better support for analog mode...
2: Bubble Shield apparently takes off PF_TAGIT when bouncing, um... yeah that's fixed. (friggen Tag mode player :V)

Finally, the update i been waiting for.

EDIT: There seems to major lag/fps issues with the ShieldReplacement.lua and S3&kShields.wad combined.

Last edited:
Just a bit of another update this time:

Shocksplosion's radius is now larger so the Thunder shield feel like more of a threat in stages with water in it.

NEW Command: "shieldreplace" now takes over the option of adding ShieldReplacement.lua, if you're in a server with S3K shields, be sure to bother the owner to turn shieldreplace on!

Last edited:
Holy fuck this was needed...

Update: Turns out there was a glaring bug with the Thunder Shield, as there were some moments where the shield wouldn't disappear, Inuyasha found out the issue and it not only patched up the lag in large levels to a dozen, but the shield is guaranteed to disappear when you get hit.

I found a few issues with the shields here. I don't know if these are intentional or not but none of the shield abilities work while jump is held, I first noticed this in SUBARASHII but I figured here would be the best place to say it. This is mildly annoying due to the fact that the vanilla shields that have jump spin abilities all work regardless of whether jump is pressed or not.
Also, the bubble shield has auto-fire where it should perhaps not, bounces back up and plays the sound when in goop, and if you lose the bubble shield before landing from a bounce, you do a small jump when you land.

Last edited:
Well it's update time! I guess if you guys are concerned for some reason, I do have a personal computer that can run SRB2 and SLADE at the same time with fairly decent lag inbetween- uh... right shields....

For Starters: I'm not yet ready to consider the Sonic Mania Shield Sprites until I'm perfectly comfortable with how I can approach this, Mania has a lot of detail and a lot of frames, so knowing this I do need to actually be sure I can do all of the shields properly.

Now for the shield updates...

Rumia, you are right about the shields not activating while you also hold jump like the original shields, they were originally using JumpSpinSpecial, which has a different way of working with it, you'll be happy to know that the shields themselves will work exactly as intended with ThinkFrame... minus a few issues I have yet to fix due to a lack of easy checks.

The Bubble Shield now animates and has a new form of bouncing on the ground with particles, courtesy of FSonic. The Bubble shield will also not auto-fire while you hold the Spin button, so now when you bounce, you need to press the spin button again to bounce once more.

f50IQnF.gif

The Flame Shield now has a dynamic burst based on the player's speed.

RepulsiveWebbedBooby-size_restricted.gif

The Thunder Shield now shows 4 sparkles, but that's more of a cosmetic touch.

As a last second part of this update: The shields now have transparency like the other shields.

Sorry for this sudden update, it's mostly cosmetics and balancing for the fire shield...

Thunder Shield now animates properly, with one half dedicated to be behind the player, with the other half in front of the player.

The shields now function using SpinSpecial. (okay Lach?)

The Bubble shield is much more bubbly than ever when using it.

The Fire Shie-
RQofkc5.gif

Yeah...

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back