• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Streakster "Kiba" Typhoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, no, this still isn't very good, since you just pillow (gradient)-shaded it. (and pillow-shading isn't even real shading and should never be used) I recommend reading this to get a feel on spriting. This pic, for example, explains very well what I mean. It would be a good idea to examine the official SRB2 character sprites to see how they're shaded (which is quite a bit more complex than just a gradient) and then try to apply what you've just learned to your own work.

Hmm...very true. Shading was never my strong suit. In fact, I'm just learning spriting. But this is starting to feel nice. THIS time I went for XSpeedGodX's example for me.
Okay! Here's the latest edition of A1 for Kiba, here. This time Kiba is actually sporting his boots, better clothing colors. And I tried to fix his rather sloppy ears and bangs.
PLAYA1_zpsb269a40b.png

Last edited:
Yours looks great too! And in fact, I've refurbished Kiba's front sprite to the best of my ability this time! Here he is!
PLAYA1_zpse4cf403e.png

Last edited:
The front in back sprites need a lot more work when it comes to the head (Mainly the ears). The ears look like handle bars you would have on a old bicycle. I suggest trying to make it close to the example XSpeedGodX left you.

I'm not a obber picky person, but the ears on the back sprite are unbalanced. That needs to be fixed cause it's kind of disturbing to look at. Other than that, good job, and I hope to see Kibo completed soon.

^Ignore this, I posted to the first page like an Idiot. That's what happens when you think about having work tomorrow early in the morning.

I really like the edits you made on the ears, it looks really nice. Did I mention it looks nice?
Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
To be honest, you draw way better than me with your pc T_T
Your character seems to have potential so finish it!
I want this in release!

I see some improvement, but the left eye is still larger then the right, and forth3e back sprite it feels a bit too empty, or too dark.

The front sprite looks waaay better than before, but one thing I have noticed is the back sprite. As it looks slightly smaller than the others. On the other hand the front sprite (again) looks as if it has a unicorn head at the top? Please correct me if this is just trying to make it look 3d.

Well, I believe that the character design is fine, however shading needs to be put in to make the character look better. I tried to create my own version of your character with shading. (Which takes away some problems but adds more, Its not perfect.)

The front sprite looks waaay better than before, but one thing I have noticed is the back sprite. As it looks slightly smaller than the others. On the other hand the front sprite (again) looks as if it has a unicorn head at the top? Please correct me if this is just trying to make it look 3d.

Those are his bangs! A lot of people simply just move bangs to the side, which I find glaringly gross to look at. I think they make it like that just for the sake of simplicity at times.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

Well, I believe that the character design is fine, however shading needs to be put in to make the character look better. I tried to create my own version of your character with shading. (Which takes away some problems but adds more, Its not perfect.)

*Whistle* That's nice, I do like it's shading. But. Err.
Okay I'll try to make it look nice, so it fits in and no longer has such rough edges. (Thanks for that tutorial as well, Lunar!)
Except, Kiba's mouth. I made it in the middle so it could be anomatically correct. Like SA1 and SA2. Dunno. I never really liked sided mouths. :U

Last edited:
Those are his bangs! A lot of people simply just move bangs to the side, which I find glaringly gross to look at. I think they make it like that just for the sake of simplicity at times.
Ah! I see! -shot- and yes I agree with others putting them to the side. I have also been thinking of a ability! Though it needs more thinking time.

Tbh creativemind's version looks like it was pillow shaded and pillow shading is a big no-no. Then again I am on a mobile device and it's hard to tell the exact details. Also, why are the eyes so small?

I'll be posting another update to this soon, it'll look less...gross.

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Ta-da!
The pupils look more pleasant to look at since I fixed his eyes up more. There's still some thickness to iron out...and now he looks appropriately sized too! Thanks SpeedGod!
PLAYA1_zps8cfbf2e7.png

Last edited:
Streakster, I just wanted to say that you've been doing an awesome job. I love it when people stick with something rough and work at it to improve. I really think perseverance is an amazing trait to have, and you've improved this sprite so much already thanks to your determination. Keep improving it and make it even better. You've gotten so far in just a week, I'd love to see it in a month.

Thank you Ultimate, it means a lot.
Aaaaaannnddd just as an example, here's how Kiba looks in game. With color changeable clothes. Yaaaay.
srb20060_zps30328793.png
srb20058_zpsd191faf1.png
Ignore the life icon though, it's a placeholder. It's better then looking at a blue square, isn't it?
It works with all colors! Even the notorious Cyan, which almost always looks disgusting because of it's awkward pallete!
I would make his fur color changeable but...eh...this WAD isn't meant to be some sorta base for any crappy recolors. The closest thing is beige which would make him look awkward espesically taking into account his shoes AND gloves. Maybe if SRB2 2.1 has more colors, such as gray again...then sure! But for now, deal with my lovely assorrted change of collars and shoes...and...wristbands...!

Last edited:
Now this, is pure gold! Your starting to get the hang of the shading now aswell .3. I could never get the palette thing. But you, my friend, have made me look like a fool with it. XD
I cannot wait till this is finished!

Disgood_zps210d2a79.png

Now THIS is more like it right? This time around Kiba is porpotionally accurate on both sides. I know, I know his arm. What happened to it you may ask? I didn't quite exactly know if it'd look better to put it there or not. So I didn't do anything with it just yet.
How do these look? Finally better?

Wow, Streakster. You're inspiring little kids around the world like me to actually start doing this now. Seeing your first sprites till now is a HUGE improvement. I'm kinda in shock.

Me? An inspiration? That's a laugh, but thanks.

Honestly, most of the people here would of given up by now. I kind of wish I actually made character wads when I was still into Srb2. But seriously, this inspires me to hop on MS Paint and making sprites again. You're doing a really good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back