The Pony Thread (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, to stop being a pony-hating hypocrite, I actually tried to watch some of the show. I made the unfortunate mistake of watching the first episode, so after about 40 seconds of ridiculous back-story about winged unicorns pulling the Sun or something, I stopped.

Looks to me like we have a case of "I already think the show is stupid/childish/girlish, so whatever happens is automatically stupid/childish/girlish."
It happens that the background legend in the beginning of that follows a style used by many things more "mature", Legend of Zelda being one example that immediately comes to mind. I personally can't think of one way they could have done it that wouldn't have turned you off, if that did. Well, unless of course, it was something entirely un-pony related.
If it was the content of the story itself, that's your problem, because really, it wasn't ridiculous at all. More likely, at the mere mention of such "winged unicorns" you turned away in automated disgust.

Last edited:
Looks to me like we have a case of "I already think the show is stupid/childish/girlish, so whatever happens is automatically stupid/childish/girlish."

Yeah, I'll admit that I had preconceived notions about the show (because, you know, it seemed to be designed for young girls. What with the bright colors and ponies and what have you). And while that accusation would be absolutely devastating to me in regards to other subjects, it doesn't ruffle my feathers in this case.

The thing I dislike most about My Little Pony is that it's made me wonder, "If I believe that obsessing over a show about multicolored equines is infantile, isn't it hypocritical to obsess over a blue hedgehog, who has never really been targeted at anybody over the age of thirteen?" The very presence of this show and its cult-like command over what seems like the majority of this forum is causing me to question my long-held values and is tearing down my foundations. Worse still, it's forcing me to mature!

Still, at least I gave the show a chance, allowing my unsubstantiated impressions to solidify into informed opinion! You have to get me that much!

Last edited:
Except that you didn't watch the entire episode....

Please, I wouldn't have ever cared about this franchise had it not been for this show or some of the villains from the Generation 1 show. Give it a better chance.

Heh, even if you were to watch the entire episode, the two pilot episodes don't give too much of an accurate representation. If you are gonna watch one, watch episode 4 or 15.

Okay, I finally, cautiously, watched this show. (Wearing a colander on my head at first to protect my brain from possible mind control rays. Seriously)

Anyways, I didn't have any "It's too girly" stereotype of it going on in the first place, so that has no bearing on my opinion.

I like it... somewhat. I don't think it's a super-amazing show, and there are a lot of things I'd rather do than watch this. BUT, it makes a great boredom breaker. When there's nothing else of interest to do, I'll gladly watch a few episodes to pass the time.

I think I've seen enough of the show to assume that this will be my overall opinion. (I've watched the first 11 episodes). It's not amazing, but not bad.

And more importantly, it's not an evil mind-control scheme.

This is better than I expected. It has a good sense of humor.
+ it isn't Girly. And According to the pony rank thing. I'm an Applejack
:/ But I just watched one episode so far. I don't even have the HUB though. I don't get cable. and, What the heck was that cowboy pony's name?

So, to stop being a pony-hating hypocrite, I actually tried to watch some of the show. I made the unfortunate mistake of watching the first episode, so after about 40 seconds of ridiculous back-story about winged unicorns pulling the Sun or something, I stopped.

Yeah, I'll admit that I had preconceived notions about the show (because, you know, it seemed to be designed for young girls. What with the bright colors and ponies and what have you). And while that accusation would be absolutely devastating to me in regards to other subjects, it doesn't ruffle my feathers in this case.

Please, I wouldn't have ever cared about this franchise had it not been for this show or some of the villains from the Generation 1 show. Give it a better chance.

Heh, even if you were to watch the entire episode, the two pilot episodes don't give too much of an accurate representation. If you are gonna watch one, watch episode 4 or 15.

And more importantly, it's not an evil mind-control scheme.

Ahem, yeah, just here to point out that if this really was "for pure 100% men, no girl shit" kind of show, I doubt it'd have so much freaking posts trying so hard to say "this is for menzzzz, i don't like girly things, try this episode and you'll see", it's starting to feel more of a cult, or simply people who only do it for the "irony factor" or something else, seriously.

Ooh ooh ooh! Is it me? No! Um.... Certainly not Sonnarkku. Can you give me a hint?

Ahem, yeah, just here to point out that if this really was "for pure 100% men, no girl shit" kind of show, I doubt it'd have so much freaking posts trying so hard to say "this is for menzzzz, i don't like girly things, try this episode and you'll see", it's starting to feel more of a cult, or simply people who only do it for the "irony factor" or something else, seriously.

Or maybe we're trying to fight bias and preconceived notions with logic.

Side note: nobody here said it was 100% manliness. And if they did, they were just being funny, and you shouldn't take that seriously.

OKAY GUYS, SO I just finished watching episode 15. The single word I'd describe that episode as would be "cute", as in "if I were a typical four-year old girl then I'd love this show because it is so cute". As my grizzled self, however, it failed to want to make me watch more or start to draw ponies or whatever. Which I consider to be absolutely fine. And the cartoon violence elicited a chuckle or two.

BUT OKAY, I'll admit that some of you guys apparently like the show for reasons that I cannot comprehend and probably never will, AND THAT I AM FINE WITH THAT. Do what you will in your own free time and I'll do something else. OKAY NOW BRONIES. ARE WE COOL AGAIN?

I'll admit that I liked Twilight Sparkle as a character. She's so deliciously cynical in the face of such an overwhelmingly bright and happy world!

Last edited:
We like the show because it's innocent fun, it's colorful and well-animated, and is a cheerful alternative to all of those "LOLRANDOM" cartoon shows that have been coming out by the shitload lately. IE: Adventure Time, The Regular Show, and basically everything else on Cartoon Network's lineup.

We like the show because it's innocent fun, it's colorful and well-animated, and is a cheerful alternative to all of those "LOLRANDOM" cartoon shows that have been coming out by the shitload lately. IE: Adventure Time, The Regular Show, and basically everything else on Cartoon Network's lineup.
...I agree with that to a tee.

Now that I'm done being stupid I'll tell you what I think about the show in an mature manor. I'm in the rarity section. it isn't that the characters are ponies or that there just a bunch of girls, its just that the show doesn't make me laugh and I know what crap they put on tv and the show ain't bad like those shows but the show isn't that interesting.

I can agree that the show is well-drawn, Something we don't see nowadays. The Show has a little action and they look like there aiming for a Y audiance (Because the show is rated Y). Those earier post were stupid and Imature and I'm sorry for that.

I wrote a My Little Pony fanfic.

Would you like to read it?

Moderator Notice:
nope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Friendship is Magic finally aired in the UK fo the first time today. It was certainly enjoyable to see the show on a big TV screen instead of the computer monitor I currently have.

Although, now that FiM is airing outside of America and spreading to other countries the fanbase is likely to grow even larger. Assuming FiM isn't screwed by the network like some of us over at #srb2pony worry is starting to happen that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back