• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

ULDC: February - April 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I think I know where I'm going with my level, but I feel like there's a lack of something (which isn't color).
attachment.php

Attachments

• srb20026.gif
    srb20026.gif
    380.3 KB · Views: 1,660
I figured out I should probably post my progress here too.
So, it's been a while since I gave up on Tempest Shrine due to the lack of ideas and I begun working on another idea: Void Vortex.
It was just a texture test at first, but I'm planning to turn it into a full level for ULDC.
aHJDHYP

aHJDHYP.gif

RB9MVBZ.gif

YKVgPkH.png

h20DNYe.png
Hopefully I'll be able to get this one done in time.
Also, I suddenly got sick, so I'm taking a little break. I hope it has nothing to do with the pandemic.

Attachments

• srb20473.gif
    srb20473.gif
    329.1 KB · Views: 483
  • srb20474.gif
    srb20474.gif
    568.5 KB · Views: 365
  • srb20355.png
    srb20355.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 370
Over the past two months it has become abundantly clear on my end that I am incapable of running this.

I've struggled with anxiety about the community since starting this thread, to the point of it clearly being unhealthy and so I'm going to step back for a while as a result.

Even if that wasn't the case, I currently feel like I lack the technical knowledge to run something like this anyway. If anybody else wants to pick this up from me they are welcome to do so, but I also currently feel that this entire ULDC was poorly thought out on my part and these levels would be better served just being submitted through releases as is intended.

I am deeply sorry for anyone who may have wasted their time with this project. I'm sure your levels will be appreciated through other means though.

Over the past two months it has become abundantly clear on my end that I am incapable of running this.

I've struggled with anxiety about the community since starting this thread, to the point of it clearly being unhealthy and so I'm going to step back for a while as a result.

Even if that wasn't the case, I currently feel like I lack the technical knowledge to run something like this anyway. If anybody else wants to pick this up from me they are welcome to do so, but I also currently feel that this entire ULDC was poorly thought out on my part and these levels would be better served just being submitted through releases as is intended.

I am deeply sorry for anyone who may have wasted their time with this project. I'm sure your levels will be appreciated through other means though.
Its alright whack, if you feel like its too much we understand it.

No worries bud, personal healthy always comes first. You inspired a lot of people to get together and make something neat so nothing has been wasted. Don't beat yourself up, ok?

Agreed with Tidbit, personal health is much more important, im sure everyone who participated understands.

So the Colab is effectively canceled? Ok then.

If anyone does pick this up after Mystic Castle Rebirth is released (will be part of Dimension Glaber) You have my permission to include the submitted version.

I hope everyone decides to not see their time as wasted and release their maps anyway (when they are done of course).

There were a few in this thread that were looking pretty nice, a map that works and plays well shouldn't become junk just because the event it was for got canceled (as the goal was mainly a collection of levels, not a story-based campaign).

Last edited:
If anybody else wants to pick this up from me they are welcome to do so, but I also currently feel that this entire ULDC was poorly thought out on my part and these levels would be better served just being submitted through releases as is intended.

I'm not entirely sure why you think releasing the levels individually instead of as a pack might be better. But if people want a pack, I have experience running the OLDC, so I could at least put together the level packs as long as there aren't too many conflicting scripts. A single-player pack might be harder, due to the fact that people tend to use more custom content in those, but at the very least I could zip up the maps and release them together just like we used to do with the OLDC.

In the hypothetical situation of someone taking over, would it be better for us to resend our maps or for whack to send the ones he originally got?
Bcause i ended up updating mine

I hope someone does take over, but in either case it's better for you to take care of yourself first. Nobody should have that kind of stress placed on them because they wanted to host something fun.

It's been a little over a week since Whackjood stepped back from this. I messaged him yesterday and it seems no one's taken it over, and some of the levels that were planned to be submissions have been released as standalones instead. Is there still interest in having some sort of compilation put together? I think you should all go and release your levels, but I know taking part in a bigger project was/is a very big and valid motivational reason to push a level to completion, and I would hate to see someone give up on their level because of the cancellation. Whackjood has given me the OK to do this; I'd be more than happy to receive the submissions and create a small hub level for them to be conveniently enjoyed. If you have a submission finished or in the works and that's something you would want, make a post here, and if there's enough interest I'll open up a two-week extension for submissions.

@Solid Soap: Progress is still going well. I've still a got a decent amount of stuff left to do before any form of release. However if the stars align by some miracle, hopefully I'll be able meet the deadline.

So fingers crossed! :p

@Solid Soap: Progress is still going well. I've still a got a decent amount of stuff left to do before any form of release. However if the stars align by some miracle, hopefully I'll be able meet the deadline.

So fingers crossed! :p

Cool, take your time :) it looks like an awesome level!

Just as an aside, I've been loving seeing many levels directly inspired by stages from 2D Sonic games, if not outright using assets from those games. It's cool to see those stages come to life in 3D, and I bet from a level designer perspective it serves as inspiration for what to actually do with said level design. I'm eagerly awaiting the final version of this stage.

Last edited:
I'm absolutely still interested, although I was targeting the ULDCs to be perhaps hosted in the later parts of the year. I still have stuff ready now to submit if someone takes over. Heck, with the extra two weeks I could probably finish the level I intended to submit later in the year, or at least the first act.

Im still totally interested, even if im not sure if I can finish my submission in time. The two-week extension can definitely help...

My stage is done, and I need to know if the thing is going to happen or not. if not, I'm releasing Mystic Castle on its own.

I'm absolutely still interested, although I was targeting the ULDCs to be perhaps hosted in the later parts of the year. I still have stuff ready now to submit if someone takes over. Heck, with the extra two weeks I could probably finish the level I intended to submit later in the year, or at least the first act.

I agree. I would definitely like to participate again if it was later down the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back