Resource icon

[Open Assets] Starpost Rewards [v2.2]

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

WellDoneSnake

Yoko Shimomura
Bringing this back from my old release pack in 2.1, ditched the convoluted setup too.

>>Updated to v2.2 see changelog below<<

Introducing...

Starpost Rewards

apbK8TD.gif
QZTylDQ.gif
SS6DiKi.gif

Not much to explain here.

Activating a starpost will reward the player with rings, shields and other power-ups.

Note: Don't worry about shields being replaced by force, the starpost won't give you a shield if you already have one, instead you'll get something else.

- Fixed continuous reward of rings triggered when bots touch the starpost.
- Stronger power-ups will only have a chance of being obtained once the player has 50 rings or more.

- Shields that are incompatible with water will not be rewarded if the player is underwater or touching a shallow surface of water.

Attachments

• srb20007.png
    srb20007.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 323
  • L_StarpostReward-v2.lua
    3.1 KB · Views: 511
  • L_StarpostReward-v2.1.lua
    3.2 KB · Views: 638
  • L_StarpostReward-v2.2.lua
    3.3 KB · Views: 2,136
Last edited:
This reminds me a lot of Sonic Heroes' checkpoint.

I always thought it was a neat idea (albeit making the game a bit too easy for some)

This reminds me a lot of Sonic Heroes' checkpoint.

Sonic & Knuckles+ + Tails partner + Checkpoint rewards + That Sonic Heroes port from 2.1 unofficially ported to 2.2 by Golden Shine = cheesy crush 40 music starts playing

I always thought it was a neat idea (albeit making the game a bit too easy for some)
Funny that you mention that because the older version from the 2.1 era had me attempting to change the "random factor" depending on the number of rings the player held. For example more powerful items could be obtained (or have an increased chance of getting it) when you had a lot of rings.

Sadly not a lot of levels supported that concept (especially the later zones in the vanilla campaign), rings may not be as abundant as they were in earlier zones. Hence why in this release I just allowed every item/power-up you could get, to be equally random.
Regardless, this addon is listed as re-usable so if people wanted to alter the randomness, award custom power-ups, etc. then they can mess around with the script to get something that works for them.

Last edited:
Just tried out this mod, it's a cool way to bring randomization to the table. I have one suggestion though: at underwater checkpoints, don't give attraction, flame, or lightning shields.

Response + Update

Just tried out this mod, it's a cool way to bring randomization to the table. I have one suggestion though: at underwater checkpoints, don't give attraction, flame, or lightning shields.
Totally missed this, thanks for bringing it up.

>>Update! Version 2.1 is up!<<

- Stronger power-ups will only have a chance of being obtained once the player has 50 rings or more.

- Shields that are incompatible with water will not be rewarded if the player is underwater or touching a shallow surface of water.

Last edited:
I was worried for a moment that this might break Ultimate Mode, but then I realised... Ultimate Mode does not have checkpoints in the first place. Why would it, when you have one life, and no continues?

I noticed this mod brakes by giving you a lot of rings if you have a AI partener, it happens if the AI is close to the starpost even if it's already activated

Attachments

• srb20019.gif
    srb20019.gif
    2.6 MB · Views: 337
Update 2.2

I noticed this mod brakes by giving you a lot of rings if you have a AI partener, it happens if the AI is close to the starpost even if it's already activated

Thanks for pointing this out, I've now fixed it and uploaded v2.2 of this addon to the main post.

Pretty great, but I feel like the rewards are a bit to OP (mainly because i got a 1up). Maybe you can add some commands that can tweak the reward strength or add/remove specific rewards.

Also, I totally feel like this with the Directional Starpost mod would be great with beginners.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back