• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Streakster "Kiba" Typhoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm a new member to the SRB2 Forums...uh...yes. So, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to put this or not. But, I believe I'll be making my first complete WAD. It's of my own OC, and before I fully start and finish this project. I'd like to hear your reasonable opinions. Any suggestions?
ZphWa8s.png

VpR9wYj.png

DON'T JUDGE THESE SPRITES THEY'RE AWFUL, LOOK AT THE MORE RECENT ONES ON THE NEXT PAGE AND MAYBE PAGES TO COME.
gAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
gAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
gAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
gAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Last edited:
Be certain that your own, personal enjoyment is all that you need to make the colossal effort worth it; even the best character wads tend to get very little attention or feedback upon release. It's a bit sad, but that's just how it tends to work around here.

That said, the place for in-progress modding projects is editing, and there's a topic for introductions in general discussion.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums Kiba. For starters, you might want to focus on the shading of the character. Shading is the essence of beauty for your character. I can tell you have a little bit in there, but it's not enough to look decent.

Also, make sure the model of the character belongs to each frame, and what I mean by that is on every side regardless what angle I'm looking at, the character looks the same. For example, those ears. The front frame resembles dumbo's ears, and the side frame resembles goofy's ears. I'm not sure which one you're trying to go for but I hope you get what I'm saying.

Welcome to the forums Kiba. For starters, you might want to focus on the shading of the character. Shading is the essence of beauty for your character. I can tell you have a little bit in there, but it's not enough to look decent.

Also, make sure the model of the character belongs to each frame, and what I mean by that is on every side regardless what angle I'm looking at, the character looks the same. For example, those ears. The front frame resembles dumbo's ears, and the side frame resembles goofy's ears. I'm not sure which one you're trying to go for but I hope you get what I'm saying.

I get you! You're right, the ears are VERY off.
Kiba is more like his diagonal look, that's what I'm striking for. I'll definently work on that.

Welcome to the forums Kiba!
Anyways, there are some things that are off within these sprites. There is hardly any shading and the angles are off. There are more errors but I'll save that for another time.
Also:
r1a4.png

I took a try on what I suggested you to make it look like. I'll admit, my example is not perfect but...

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums Kiba!
Anyways, there are some things that are off within these sprites. There is hardly any shading and the angles are off. There are more errors but I'll save that for another time.
Also:
r1a4.png

I took a try on what I suggested you to make it look like. I'll admit, my example is not perfect but...

Wow, I've been trying to do that. But. Wow. You're way better at spriting then I could ever be. At least right now. But, I'll try at least giving a shot at shading like that and such.

PLAYA2A8_zpse9f03271.png

Is this any better? No more black outlines! Except for his chest fur, which I will fix...right now.

Well that is a lot better from the first one you have presented, and along with that, might I compliment that the character design for this one is quite unique from other OCs, so, good job. If I may ask, will he have a special ability, no ability, or flight with his ears similarly to the way cream does?

Well that is a lot better from the first one you have presented, and along with that, might I compliment that the character design for this one is quite unique from other OCs, so, good job. If I may ask, will he have a special ability, no ability, or flight with his ears similarly to the way cream does?

Well I want to seperate him from the main cast. And him flying with his ears would kill his originality, in powers at least. But...I'm not so sure about what I'd give him as an ability. In fact, I'm just more focused on getting through all my sprites and whatnot before I think about all of that. It would be pretty lame if I just gave him a casual thok or a homing attack. But. I'm not that good with SOCs. If...anyone has any ideas or would like to help with that, I'll gladly put it in if it works!

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Okay...one question. I imported Kiba into SRB2 and for the most part, it came out great. Except for his clothes in general....It's turning out not to be so bad other then that.

Last edited:
Make sure you are using the srb2 pallet colors to color your sprites, that might be the reason why it looks odd.

Well I want to seperate him from the main cast. And him flying with his ears would kill his originality, in powers at least. But...I'm not so sure about what I'd give him as an ability.
I don't know anything about SOC'ing, but given that some of the enemies do it...would burrowing into the ground be possible? I think it would also fit with the rabbit theme.

I don't know anything about SOC'ing, but given that some of the enemies do it...would burrowing into the ground be possible? I think it would also fit with the rabbit theme.

Although that may sound nice... What would the point of that ability be other then to be pretty broken in CTF/Match/Prettymuchallplayervsplayerthings. It also wouldn't be that fun to be in the ground. :v

inb4: chuck norris ability: Pressing spin allows you to swim on land.

Again, I'm not sure if there's a way to do this, but perhaps set it on a timer, so the player can only burrow for a certain amount of time. Also, prevent the player from burrowing more than once within a certain amount of time. If the burrow itself isn't useful enough, perhaps the player could spring out a burrow at double the height of a jump (or something similar).

Kiba is a dog. =(
But Kiba CAN dig, in fact it's one of his main abilities. The only example of digging is in 1.09.4's CB. Which, if I made it like that would completely kill the challenge of ANY level, because I believe I would scale any wall instantaneously, and dig on pits. Again, I'm not sure. But. What WOULD be cool is if I could make him wall-run, it's something I've been wanting to do for a long time. But... I'll see what's possible..

Wall-running is unfortunately impossible, and all the sprites for SRB2 (like enemies) are upright, not tilted. You can however, climb like Knuckles, which is the closest you can get to a wall-run in vanilla SRB2.

Wall-running is unfortunately impossible, and all the sprites for SRB2 (like enemies) are upright, not tilted. You can however, climb like Knuckles, which is the closest you can get to a wall-run in vanilla SRB2.

Im no soccer, but couldn't you have a soc activate the climbing ability when spin dashing into a wall (or something similiar) but at a faster rate?

Im no soccer, but couldn't you have a soc activate the climbing ability when spin dashing into a wall (or something similiar) but at a faster rate?

Nope, that would require lua or a new exe in general.

PLAYA5_zps75fb3006.png

PLAYA3A7_zps89ee3c26.png

PLAYA4A6_zpsbcf64302.png

PLAYA2A8_zps81d20c3f.png

PLAYA1_zpsd29f1614.png

And there we have it! An update to Kiba! Now he has the full 5 rotations! I shortned his ears to make him look less like a rabbit, and more like a dog! Thoughts, anyone?
And on-topic of giving him a custom ability. It'd be nice if I could have him one...but right now. I'm more focused on getting things done. So, if you DO think of one. Don't hesitate to speak up. I'll get too it once I'm finished and can play around with things.

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

....And I forgot his tail on the back sprite. Oops!

Pretty good so far, although maybe there could be some improvement around the eyes and muzzle. It looks kinda odd when comparing one side to the other. And you also forgot the tail on the side sprite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back