SRB2 Doom Builder

Status
Not open for further replies.
KingofFlames said:
Give DBSRB2 a new icon, I sometimes accidently load the wrong DoomBuilder when I'm SRB2 editing.
Just change it yourself. >_> Let Ooga work on the important things, like bugfixing and FOF editing in 3D, and the like. Besides, you can actually delete the old .exe. Might not be a good idea, because you may need normal DB. Or, you could even try naming them, god forbid you look at the filenames.

Time for build 8: http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0569864/builder_srb2-r8.zip. New this time:

• Thing-Z can be altered in 3D mode -- use the mousewheel.
  • Sped up the rendering of FOFs a little.
  • Autosave. Currently only creates one copy (filename.wad.autosave), but if you think it'd be useful to create multiple copies, in the way that the backup feature does, then it won't be too tricky to implement.
  • Fixed the need to 'respect' all thousand-odd map headers when loading and saving. This speeds things up considerably, but it means that we now need different config files for SRB2DB and vanilla DB. This was always going to happen eventually, anyway, but is handled automatically -- don't worry about it.
  • Removed all the MAPnnD options from the Scripts menu, and replaced it with MAINCFG. Also, added an option to merge all existing MAPnnD lumps into MAINCFG.
  • FOFs editable in 3D mode, with a number of significant caveats. I'll explain below.
  • Several bugfixes, most notably in the FOF dialogue.
I know that editing FOFs in 3D mode is something that a lot of people asked for, and there is partial support for it in this build. There are a few small problems, such as not being able to point at a FOF from the side (must point through floor or ceiling). There is also one BIG problem: new FOFs can't be created while in 3D mode. The reason for this is largely due to the fact that drawing sectors in 3D mode is difficult both for technical and interface design reasons. I'm not sure whether there's a way round this, but I'll have a think about it.

Thanks very much for all the suggestions and bug reports this week. I hope to be able to get a significant chunk of them dealt with for next week's build.

KingofFlames said:
In the new version it crashed when I saved my map.
Could you post the value of EIP, please? You can find it by clicking one of the buttons (or it might be a link) on the crash dialogue box. That way, I'll be able to identify what line of code casued the crash.

SuperSonicRules! said:
I get an error when trying to run doom builder.
Error 424 in load confuguration: Object required
From that error, I'm guessing you don't have the original DoomBuilder, which you can get from www.doombuilder.com. Then, you need to unzip SRB2DB on top of that.

KingofFlames said:
Great, and after I saved my level it erased the level!
If you've saved it before with DoomBuilder, there should be a backup in the same directory as your WAD (filename.bak, I think). This is an alpha build, though, so things like this will happen from time to time. I apologise if this does cause any data loss, but I would recommend strongly that you keep backups of anything you edit with this. I think I said something to that effect earlier in the topic...

KingofFlames said:
That's cool, but when will you finish fixing this version? I'd really like to fully edit FoFs in 3D mode.
If I can find the bug you mentioned today (but I can't do that unless I know the EIP...) then I can probably get out another build this evening, so that you can save. Other things will gradually be fixed/added in the usual weekly fashion.

Ooga, if I were single and you were of the appropriate gender, I'd marry you. I'm downloading the newest version right now, and the changelog makes me happy for some of the level designs I want to do.

Oogaland said:
  • Removed all the MAPnnD options from the Scripts menu, and replaced it with MAINCFG. Also, added an option to merge all existing MAPnnD lumps into MAINCFG.

Thank YOU very MUCH. As much as I liked the feature, it was annoying and unappealing. And now I don't have to open XWE to edit the MAINCFG lump! You just ruined half of XWE's usefulness to me and I thank you for it. ^_^

I don't know about everyone else here, but I'm missing cmcs21.ocx and it appears to be very difficult to come by. I figured that it would have come with Doombuilder, but this does not seem to be the case. This renders the maincfg edit option entirely unusable. A link to download this elusive file would be appreciated.

If this is "Doom Builder for SRB2".. wouldn't that make it "SRB2 Builder"? I mean.. that's saying that you're building Doom levels for SRB2. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back