M.I.'s Doomsday Pack mod... (scr_doomsdaypack-20.zip)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monster Iestyn

Fangtastic
...or at least what I ever made of it, really. (No, it's nothing to do with Sonic & Knuckles' Doomsday Zone. =/)

This is basically an old unfinished mod of mine dating back to 1.09.4. Most of this mod hasn't been released before, except for the first 4 maps in the main quest. Despite its age, I thought I might as well release what I've done of it, since I'll probably never work on it again.

Don't expect this mod to be absolutely brilliant in 2.0 standards, by the way. You can't even collect all the emeralds in this mod in it's unfinished state. Nor are the multiplayer maps any worth to play at all, in my opinion.

Zones:
Blossom Gardens Zone; (The only fully finished zone)
Mech Mountain Zone;
Deadly Dunes Zone;
Firey Furnace Zone;
Arctic Valley Zone;
Cloud Heavens Zone;
Haunted House Zone;

There's also some hidden zones to be found here, but I'm not telling you what they are. =P
Screens:
srb20023-1.png

srb20024-1.png

srb20025-1.png

srb20026-1.png

srb20027-1.png

srb20028-1.png

SRB2FFH Mirror: http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/640doomsdaypack-20.ziphttp://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/903doomsdaypack-20.zip

Attachments

• doomsdaypack-20.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,901
Last edited:
Okay, so I just played through this.

Let me show you my feelings and comments with/for each zone.

Blossom Gardens :/
-Kind of average and generic, but kind of okay, I guess. At least it's better than GFZ...

Mech Mountain :)
-This is quite fun, actually! Better than THZ, if I may say so.

Deadly Dunes :(
-Wait, what happened? Ugly texturing which makes everything blend together, annoying crumbling platform sequence... At least it's not horrible.

Firey Furnace :<
-Ow, old texturing. Anyways, another annoying crumbling platform section? This one is even worse! And the level ends so quickly?

Arctic Valley >:(
-Wow, it gets uglier with each stage! In fact, the visuals show no visible difference between ice and snow! And there's a lot of lame deaths! And both stages end pretty damn quick!

Cloud Heavens >:<
-Hey, it starts with a huge HOM. Anyways, what a terribly huge amount of Jetty-Syn Bombers! They really get in your way, and they're everywhere!

Haunted House D:<
-Oh hey, flat stretches of nothing! After that, huge stretches of bottomless pits and hellishly annoying platforming! *ragequit*

Seriously, this pack started of okay, but degraded into a horrible mess later on. Every zone after Deadly Dunes is so obviously incomplete, why even include them? All levels look very 1.09.4, which is not a good thing, really. You seem to like crumbling platforms a bit too much in the 3rd and 4th zone, and the last 3 zones are just over a bottomless pit for at least half of the time. Also, why does every zone with enemies have Crawla's? Excuse me if this sounds like flaming, but I really didn't like this pack!
In short, this pack shows that 1.09.4 ports just do not work in 2.0. Please, fix everything up, and you might get more than 2 stars out of 5 from me.

I know I didn't rate the multiplayer stages, and that I did not review every zone in full detail. I'll do that later, when real life gets less busy.

If you were to keep working on it, it would come out great. MMZ is awesome, and it should replace THZ. I actually like the old texturing; it gives the levels the feel that you probably want. It does degrade, but DDZ has a nice start.

This Addon looks really promising, but, I ran into quite a lengthy error when trying to enter a server containing this addon. I'm pretty new to Linux and its libraries, but to me it looks like something to do with sound libraries.
http://pastebin.com/dcT8kizt

I'm using the Linux version of SRB2 however, compiled with DeedleFake's pkgbuild in the AUR

I just got done playing through this and no offense, but it's not too good. Allot of the levels are kind of boring, dull and sometimes I get hit or die for something stupid. Overall, this was okay but not that great. Also, for the finished product I would like to see some custom bosses and can you please try not to reuse SRB2's sound track? Allot of mods do that and it bugs me, and one more thing, I suggest NOT using Sonic 1's Palm Tree sprites in Deadly Dunes Zone or even at all, it makes it look weird.

One question about Haunted House Zones 1 and 3: Why AGZ3 music? :/ (just a question, don't throw stones on me!)

One question about Haunted House Zones 1 and 3: Why AGZ3 music? :/ (just a question, don't throw stones on me!)

Well, back then I thought it was pretty much the best sounding tune for a Castle-themed Final Zone.

Though really, I had been wanting to create an entirely custom soundtrack for this level pack in the first place. A good bunch of the MIDIs for that I had made back during Doomsday's Pack development (several years ago) I tried out in Doomsday Pack itself ...only to decide they didn't really fit SRB2 enough, to my disappointment. =S

Also, for anyone with comments like the permbanned I'm Not Here back two posts ago, this pack has been dead for ages, and I'm probably never going to touch it again (as mentioned in the first post, duh >_>). If anything, I might borrow some zones from this pack in the future, but they'd be complete remakes rather than improvements of the versions of the levels here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back