• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

fickle hearts and other parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red, why do you keep being so goddamn awesome?

But what about this:

We don't actually need them for SRB2 to survive! Our levels have survived for up to a decade and a half without slopes as it is; if we finally put in slopes, people would deride all of SRB2's levels including ERZ for being out-of-date and not having slopes and we'd be nagged to put slopes everywhere. Essentially it'd require a remake of all levels in SRB2 for everyone to be happy, which won't be fun. (Perhaps I'm exaggurating the consequences here... perhaps.)
Adding slopes to SRB2 would probably also lead to a very slippery slope (no pun intended) of physics-related feature creep, or at least potential for one - next people will be expecting SRB2 to have things like loops and sideways gravity, which themselves have a boat-load of issues which I will not go over here.

Last edited:
But what about this:
People overexaggerate how much slopes would change. At worst, they'll be a visual replacement for stairs that doesn't even work on FOFs. If fully implemented, they'll be an extra little way to get around. There's no need to shoehorn them everywhere into the game, considering the vanilla maps have worked fine without them.

Besides, if we've refused to remake GFZ for years despite Iceman's constant nagging, what makes anyone think we'll revamp the entire campaign over an extra feature?

GFZ1 will have to become one single large slope to the very end before it can be half as good as CEZ1

The slope physics in my opinion (and this was sadly also true in SRB2CB) are too exaggerated, just from the thok it feels like it launches you way higher than it should.

I should probably provide a visual of what I mean

qAcQkDC.png

This is how I'd expect Sonic to fly after running off a slope

QRwqRDL.png

And this is what the slope physics here feel like to me

The second line feels like that's how it should be when spindashing, however in the spindash gif it looks like Sonic flies off like this:
oDqlWZm.png

I don't think you understand that thok goes at 60 and a spindash is a crazy 90 though.

Maybe it could use toning down, but keep in mind that slope nerfing will take away it's much needed utility in gameplay.

Last edited:
Let's not forget the fact that, compared to the original sonic games, SRB2 is floaty, Gravity is vastly different and has to be accounted for.

The slope physics in my opinion (and this was sadly also true in SRB2CB) are too exaggerated, just from the thok it feels like it launches you way higher than it should.
The physics are the result of a half-done port from CB slopes that I didn't touch at all. Anything that happened to be in is no representation of what finished slope physics could look like. There's a reason the GIF I posted just ambled around them slowly.

Last edited:
I assume going down those slopes will work better than how going down pseudo slopes currently does, even with the step up/step down sector effect turned on.

Currently going down them, even regular stairs, you fly off when going too fast.

Dear god... This is a bucket!

Anyway, good luck to re do all the SP stages and all, I want to play modern GFZ1 with F0ck1n $4n1c's boostmode and W+Mouselook. (Okay maybe I'd like the old GFZ1 better.)

That is amazing.
Also is GFZ1 going to have those in the next version? Or are you just testing the slopes with an already made level?

That is amazing.
Also is GFZ1 going to have those in the next version? Or are you just testing the slopes with an already made level?

I think it's just an example on what can be pulled off with slopes. But if this is for 2.2, that's cool too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back