Darn good modding! In fact this 'mod' is just a fan game on its own!

... How do you extract sprites from .kart files? I'd like to use the default sprites for some wads.

Not much else to say, but there's a slight problem when running this on Linux, or at least on Ubuntu 18.04. I can't access bonuschars.kart under normal circumstances. I have to move the file to ~/.srb2kart and enable it from the addons menu just to access it.
Not a massive amount we can do about that just due to where the add-ons menu looks and where things get installed, I think. You can still add the file without moving it by just using "addfile bonuschars.kart" in the console since it'll look at the path it installed it to by default as well.

Whenever I try checking for player.splitscreenplayer in a splitscreen game, I only get nil for all players, can anyone else confirm that?

Whenever I try checking for player.splitscreenplayer in a splitscreen game, I only get nil for all players, can anyone else confirm that?

The changelog is wrong, it's not player.splitscreenplayer, but actually player.splitscreenindex

Last edited:
Don't feel like reading the changelog? Here are the highlights of v1.1.

Last edited:
Hey there! Please update the repos for Debian/Ubuntu! They're still on 1.0.2 and are missing release series for Eoan and Focal.

My two cents.

Been playing this with friends since it came out, so gonna give my two cents I suppose.

At first, I loathed the controls. It felt so...foreign. But you know, I got used to them. I even think they're pretty fun now. Of course, once I got better at them, I started to loathe all the other aspects.

In time trials, the game is undoubtably fun. In online multiplayer, it honestly just feels like an exercise in futility. If you fall behind at all, it becomes nigh impossible to ever have a chance at first place again. This is due to many reasons, starting with:

the blue shell being changed to just be avoidable if you're fast enough. On paper, this sounds like a good idea: reward players who are skilled enough with avoiding it, right? In practice, this usually just amounts to not making any overt mistakes, which isn't hard if you're front running away from the pack. This is even further compounded by...

The pack honestly feels like it's even worse than in normal Mario Kart games. You seem to have reduced red shells and such, but fake item boxes have received an even more devastating effect, removing your item and causing an explosion around you. First place is unlikely to hit these due to being alone, but people in the pack are very liable to run into them thanks to power item usage and having to navigate other players, and all it does is serve to keep the pack even further behind. Speaking of...

Power items feel a lot less useful here. Partially because turning becomes impossible when using them, and partially due to track design. Very few tracks even have frequent off road, with many even incorporating a lot of "out of bounds" with, or instead of, off road, and the few that do you're likely to just mess up turns due to how different your handling becomes when using them, and bump into people as well. Which brings me to my next point...

Bumping into people in Mario Kart isn't an uncommon occurrence, but little comes from it. Both players are just shoved to the side a bit, nothing that can't be handled. But in Kart, both players tend to get absolutely catapulted away in opposite directions, completely screwing over both players. Compound that with power items making handling hard, and the pack is frequently screwing each other over.

And you know what? Maybe each of these points wouldn't be as bad, if it weren't for what is possibly the worst sin...

Still using SRB2's server side networking. Even for normal SRB2 no one wants to use it, it's just tolerated because there's nothing better. I get that this is definitely a hard one to fix, but it really shows its faults in a twitch based racer like this.

Also this last one is less of a criticism and more of an inconsistency that slightly bothers me: why does the mega mushroom not give you off road abilities when all the other similar speed enhancing items do?

TL;DR: offline play is fantastic, online play is miserable.

This guy brings up a lot of issues in an otherwise great game.

At top speed drifting becomes a major hazard even without the help of speed boosts. My solution would be to add a traction statistic or make it the same across the board. As it is now, drifting has the same effect as hydroplaning in real life. Simply put, you have taken the hovercraft from Diddy Kong Racing and added wheels to it. Tightening the drifting by 50% will make most of the races which are designed for tight cornering much more enjoyable. For example, the Mario Kart courses, Cloud Cradle Zone, that desert canyon race, and any others with hairpin turns.

The collision values also need to be tweaked. Not only between racers, It also needs to be fixed with walls and items. Spin outs caused by items should last half the distance they do now. They should still kill all your speed but not also send you flying into the abyss. As it is between karts, colliding with another player at a dead stop transfers all your speed to said player. Essentially giving said player a free speed boost. Therefore, collisions from the rear should only transfer 25% of your max speed. Collisions with walls have the same effect as colliding with another kart from the side. You shoot away like two magnets of the same polarity. As such, if you as so much tap the wall, all forward momentum is redirected away from said object. Head on collisions are fine as is, with walls, other karts, and projectile items.

I agree that online matches are incredibly punishing. One wrong move and you are limping toward the finish line with the slim chance of actually crossing it. Simply put: online matches are luck based. Solving the issues mentioned above should fix this problem and make it more skill based.

That being said, a 1:1 size ratio of all the Mario Kart tracks are too small for this game. Especially with how all the characters/karts handle as they are now. It is like trying to walk a damaged tightrope, blindfolded, and while applying grease to it as you go. Ergo, a slight size increase of 25% would make them less stress inducing.

Lastly, increase the break power on the karts. Its like stepping on a plum.

Other than that it is a really great game.

Hey guys. I am curious where the save data is stored. I got this on my switch, and I am curious about transferring saves and replay data between the it and the pc version.

Hey guys. I am curious where the save data is stored. I got this on my switch, and I am curious about transferring saves and replay data between the it and the pc version.

We don't maintain the Switch port. Try asking on the thread for the Switch port.

I've not played the new version, but I want to give feedback on items since we're on the subject.

Their inclusion mostly favors those players already at or near first place.

This sounds counterintuitive, but the issue is the offensive nature of "power" items: Invincibility, giant, quad-orbinauts, eggman monitors, etc. all have strong disruptive potential which affects groups of players in the lower placements. While the lower ranks fight amongst themselves, first placement gains a bigger lead. This is a dynamic that is present many of the modern Mario Kart online experiences, but it's amplified here due to the nature of Kart's controls and courses making punishments more extreme and catch-up mechanics less automated, as well as the "blue shell" being a less surefire means of slowing 1st down.

I feel that this is an issue that could be made less prominent with the inclusion of more "cooperative" items, rewarding lower-ranked players for being within proximity of each other rather than punishing them.

I've not played the new version, but I want to give feedback on items since we're on the subject.

Their inclusion mostly favors those players already at or near first place.

This sounds counterintuitive, but the issue is the offensive nature of "power" items: Invincibility, giant, quad-orbinauts, eggman monitors, etc. all have strong disruptive potential which affects groups of players in the lower placements. While the lower ranks fight amongst themselves, first placement gains a bigger lead. This is a dynamic that is present many of the modern Mario Kart online experiences, but it's amplified here due to the nature of Kart's controls and courses making punishments more extreme and catch-up mechanics less automated, as well as the "blue shell" being a less surefire means of slowing 1st down.

I feel that this is an issue that could be made less prominent with the inclusion of more "cooperative" items, rewarding lower-ranked players for being within proximity of each other rather than punishing them.

We're already addressing this: https://mb.srb2.org/showpost.php?p=808221&postcount=701

The staff attack is literally IMPOSSIBLE.
Like, you need to play absolutely perfect to even have a chance at getting any gold medal.
Even at Green Hills Zone!
QUICK EDIT: Also you can't add files from the addon menu no matter what, you need to use the console.

The staff attack is literally IMPOSSIBLE.
Like, you need to play absolutely perfect to even have a chance at getting any gold medal.
Even at Green Hills Zone!

As someone who has all gold medals, I can assure you that it isn't "literally" impossible. Sure, Green Hills Zone is one of the harder ghosts - but it's also a nice trial by fire. The best way to beat ghosts is to keep trying, and there are other tracks where beating the ghosts are way easier and certainly doesn't ask you to be perfect (Red Barrage Area comes to mind). And obviously, this game requires you to be very good to beat them all!

And what do you mean? I can add files using the menu without any worries - as long as they are in the correct spots.

As someone who has all gold medals, I can assure you that it isn't "literally" impossible. Sure, Green Hills Zone is one of the harder ghosts - but it's also a nice trial by fire. The best way to beat ghosts is to keep trying, and there are other tracks where beating the ghosts are way easier and certainly doesn't ask you to be perfect (Red Barrage Area comes to mind). And obviously, this game requires you to be very good to beat them all!
I thought Green Hills was one of the easier levels tracks in the game...

And what do you mean? I can add files using the menu without any worries - as long as they are in the correct spots.
I mean, when i try to add an addon from the addons menu using Enter, it won't work (absolutely nothing happens). Even when loading from the base directory (for example, bonuschars.kart)!
As far as i know, this was fixed for vanilla 2.2.1.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back