Thokker - Let's play "Kick the Crawla"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fickleheart

ms reflec beat stan
6vjjIx9.png

hoo boy, we should've had this out MONTHS ago

What is it?

Thokker is a new team-based gametype inspired by soccer. Kick a variety of balls through a variety of maps, and try to be the first to score three goals on your opponents! Character stat tweaks and balances have also been made, so everyone is a viable team player.

What kind of balances?

I'm glad you asked!

Sonic has a slightly nerfed thok, BUT he's still by far the best offensive player for moving the ball around due to his sheer speed.

Tails makes a good goalie, because her flight creates gusts of wind that push the ball away from her.

Knuckles is a defensive wall, thanks to his ability to bowl over other players by gliding into them. (Balance-wise, his climbing was also sped up)

Maps?

We're shipping with 15 maps, categorized into four sets.

A set of maps based on levels from the SRB2 single player campaign.

attachment.php

Green Cove - The smallest map in the pack. The ledges by the bridges are a great place to shoot a goal from.

attachment.php

Tumbleweed Canyon - An average-sized canyon map. Trenches toward the middle allow for some tricky jukes with the ball. (Fun fact: this was the first Thokker map designed!)

attachment.php

Courtyard Eggman - A wide open courtyard means plenty of room to run. Take it down to the dungeon for some up-close-and-personal action!

A set of maps based on various addon levels.

attachment.php

Danger Forest - A fierce showdown in the streets. The nets strewn about are great to kick the ball around and sneak up on the goal with.

attachment.php

Sonic's Schoolhouse - The only Thokker map with mirrored symmetry in the pack. Try to kick the ball all the way through the goal and make it out the other end!

attachment.php

Glacier Gear - An uphill trek with sticky goop in the middle. The ramps leading up to the goal can be pulled down by standing on a button, forcing the other team to take the long way around.

A set of levels inspired by games that aren't SRB2.

attachment.php

Treasure Town - Inspired by Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. The gates for each team open and close on a timer, but you can still kick the ball over with a well-placed spindash!

attachment.php

Claws For Alarm - Inspired by Bubsy 3D. I don't know why VAda made this, but it completes the set.

attachment.php

Big Shell Plant - Inspired by Metal Gear Solid. The largest Thokker map in the pack. Don't kick the ball off the side!*

*you cannot actually kick the ball off the side

A set of levels made by other community members.

attachment.php

Nameless Base - Oh no.

fh9zi5r.png

Rocket Run - LEGO of your inhibitions and boot the tire around the racetrack, using the teleports to your advantage!

attachment.php

Ancient Relic - A night-time desert map. This is basically the best map in the game.

FBcZU2O.png

Geyser Gush - It's time to get wet.

yVF9kS9.png

Slime Station - A simple chemical plant is the perfect place to have a game of... Brakker.

5f5wkeI.png

Petroleum Refinery - Fight your way through the industrial park to the challenging aerial goals.

But who made it?

Thokker is brought to you primarily by Team Smiles, composed of the following:

fickleheart - Main concept, project head, main EXE development, Lua script development, level design (Green Cove, Tumbleweed Canyon, Treasure Town), slapdash logo
toaster - Project second-in-command, Lua script development, graphics, level design (Danger Forest, Glacier Gear)
chi.miru - Assistant EXE development, level design (Big Shell Plant)
Boinciel - Level design (Courtyard Eggman, Sonic's Schoolhouse)

In addition, the following maps were made by other community members:

VAdaPEGA - Claws For Alarm
Nekoishi - Nameless Base
DrTapeworm - Ancient Relic
Knux576 - Rocket Run, Slime Station
TehRealSalt - Geyser Gush
CoatRack - Petroleum Refinery

Last but not least, a large portion of #srb2fun also helped with testing and provided feedback, and their numbers are too numerous to list here. (read: I forgot who all joined the netgames) This project wouldn't be where it is without them.

Attachments

• srb20028.png
    srb20028.png
    140.4 KB · Views: 17,609
  • srb20029.png
    srb20029.png
    143.7 KB · Views: 16,709
  • srb20030.png
    srb20030.png
    198.3 KB · Views: 16,409
  • srb20031.png
    srb20031.png
    173.6 KB · Views: 16,678
  • srb20032.png
    srb20032.png
    154.6 KB · Views: 17,212
  • srb20033.png
    srb20033.png
    128.3 KB · Views: 16,718
  • srb20034.png
    srb20034.png
    145.4 KB · Views: 16,497
  • srb20035.png
    srb20035.png
    105 KB · Views: 16,680
  • srb20036.png
    srb20036.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 16,511
  • srb20037.png
    srb20037.png
    232 KB · Views: 16,328
  • srb20038.png
    srb20038.png
    105.2 KB · Views: 21,130
  • b_thokker_v1-1-1-1.zip
    10.9 MB · Views: 1,614
Last edited:
All checks out fine from a quick test, so welcome to Releases!

(why did you guys not release this fun thing months ago lol)

When the air blows through; with a brisk attack

i can't wait to finally play with balls

Last edited:
The reptile tail ripped from its back; when the sun sets

thok your dislike of ball puns red

on another note, making maps for this is pretty easy so please give it a try

Some points of note:

- The netcode doesn't like you joining an in-progress Thokker game. Resetting or ending the map when a player joins is the best way to not have them resynch and leave the game.
- If games are frequently stalemating, setting a time limit of ~7 minutes per match tends to keep things rolling.
- You can make your own Thokker maps! Just try not to conflict with existing map numbers. The prefix for Thokker maps is b_ (for ball). Feel free to ask us about specifics or how to improve the gameplay of your maps!

Last edited:
This thing really has all kind of balls you can go nuts over!!
Thanks for releasing this at the only time I can't even play to make me boil until I can actually play it btw. <3<3

I might end up trying to do some maps for this, however :1

Aw, Shade Cavern didn't get in. :(
Definitely nice to see this get an actual release, though. Hopefully people make more maps for it.

@ Badnik: HOLY SHIT I KNEW I WAS FORGETTING SOMETHING, UH, MY FAULT!!! red asked me to put the latest thokker.thk together two days ago and i completely forgot that was in the "in" pile. It'll likely go in version 1.1, okay? @v@

@ everyone else: shut up with the goddamn puns already and let's play some thhhooooookkkeeeeeeRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The graphics in this mod are amazing, and it is fun to play. Unfortunately the terrible lag ruins it. The level themes are interesting too.

I think a good idea for a course would be one based off of Invader Zims base from v1.09.4 to pay homage to that forgotten map. Maybe have a rubber piggy as the ball. It would be an interesting concept and could actually be executed well now that SRB2 is advanced enough. Having one based off of Mario Koopa Blast with a koopa shell as the ball would be cool too. Also, a Greenflower Zone themed map where you kick around Pikachus severed head as a reference to Pokemon Soccer.

EDIT: lol what about a South Park course where you kick around Ike in a game of "kick the baby" ?

Last edited:
Ah the release with addtional maps! Nice.

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

Oh and everyone made ball puns. So i guess i'll be... balling with laughter?

South Park

no

Green Cove IS Pokemon Soccer, but nobody on Team Smiles wanted a dead Pikachu head ball. Meanwhile I like your Zim map concept but I don't really know anything about Zim. Maybe if AJ ever wants to get back into mapping..?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back