If you could add one new feature to srb2, no questions asked, what would it be?

Frostiikin

recovering elseif abuser
Judge
Whether it's a specific new character, loops, a new gameplay mechanic, or anything, regardless of how feasible adding said thing to the game would be or how difficult that would be, what would you add?

I'll start us off. I'd personally add the ability for sprites to use colors outside of the srb2 palette, so that I could hueshift my sprites better lol. Level rendering would still use the palette, so it wouldn't have the problems that truecolor would.

Please note: This is not a wadbegging thread. Please do not use this as a wadbegging thread. This is purely a fun little... thought experiment I guess you'd call it? eh, whatever lol.

Last edited:
Chao Gardens...

It kinda blows my mind no game has ever successfully (few have even tried) reintroduced the Chao Garden mechanic. It has so much potential for being just as cool or even better (seriously, a LOT could be done to improve it) that is still untapped.

Not that I'm surprised that it ain't in SRB2, of course! That's a lot of work in the Doom engine! But it's like free money for any commercial game.

The idea of getting to design custom chao race courses sounds fun, too.

Some oddball minigames, like the party games of the Super Monkey Ball series (Whack-A-Crawla? Sonic Golf?)

I always thought they were some fun timewasters with friends, though I suppose custom gametypes fill that niche for SRB2.

I'd really like an unlockable dev commentary mode similar to in Valve's source engine games where you can interact with speech objects to play voice clips on the dev's thought process on making different level sections, enemy types, etc.

I'd also implement a unique set of levels specifically for Metal Sonic as a sort of "Episode Metal" type deal. Single act zones themed after the main campaign's zones, but in reverse order and designed specifically around completing them as Metal Sonic. For the Metal Sonic race and boss fight, you would be against Sonic instead.

A secret final boss using NiGHTS mode, only accessible if the player has all the chaos emeralds. And considering the player should have gotten all 7 chaos emeralds by themselves they will probably have it easier. It should be like the final NiGHTS special stages test.
Black Hole doesn't count

If I am gonna be boring, OpenGL to have an option to have the limited color palette. Since I like the limited color limitation Software has, it would be cool to see OpenGL have it, I know I would use OGL more if it was an option.

If I am gonna be boring, OpenGL to have an option to have the limited color palette. Since I like the limited color limitation Software has, it would be cool to see OpenGL have it, I know I would use OGL more if it was an option.
I second that, I always loved how the older version looked color-wise.

i'd personally love to see a legacy sonic zone re-imagined in srb2, i love it when people do that. if i had to be specific though, i'd cast my vote for either press garden zone from sonic mania, or flying battery zone from sonic and knuckles.

In-game level editor with simple and complicated modes so everyone can make a level for SRB22 without all of the complicated stuff in between. The simple mode would have all of the items and enemies and stuff pre-picked, and the complicated mode would have more complicated ways of making stuff, but much more options because of it. You would also be able to create your own or use other people's items, enemies, objects and textures. If not in-game, then a separate application that comes with SRB2 as an added bonus.
And yes, I know that Zone Builder exists, but I think it would be too complicated for a beginner to use. SRB2 IS a game for everybody to play and enjoy.

Last edited:
This may seem a bit outlandish, but I'd love to see a spectrogram or spectrum visualiser in the sound test in place of the boombox and soundpad. I'm not sure if it would be possible with SRB2's limitations, though.

Eggman as a new playable character. Story would probably be in-between srb1 and 2, kinda like how CD is speculated to be canonically placed between sonic 1 and 2.

i would put ssntails' art back and keep the first, yes first srb2 eggman sprites, but he has his modern collision, back then he was tinee i think

I do miss SSNTails' art better but the new one looks more professional (if I could say that for a fangame)

Alright, this is an idea I’ve had for a while, but this does not fit at all with the SRB2 level design but it’s just a thought. Think about it, SRB2 or any sonic game with path specific endings (level goals, what ever it’s called) For example, at the end of DS1, you could either go the normal path to get to the end, or find a secret exit in one of the button-locked doors which lead to a entirely new area in DS2 or even a new zone! Better yet, having the “extra” stages as exits you can find in certain levels to play those extras in the main campaign! (of course after you unlocked them)

This sounds like a “what if” but it’s merely an idea that could maybe not even work with Sonic rules, although maybe it could have an application in 2D Sonic games...

Multiplayer bots. Or more so, bring them back, as it's been attempted before with varying success (mostly clunky, actually).

There is certain potential there, both for practice or for just goofing around when netgames are scarce. Both SRB2 and Kart would benefit from it.

Alright, this is an idea I’ve had for a while, but this does not fit at all with the SRB2 level design but it’s just a thought. Think about it, SRB2 or any sonic game with path specific endings (level goals, what ever it’s called) For example, at the end of DS1, you could either go the normal path to get to the end, or find a secret exit in one of the button-locked doors which lead to a entirely new area in DS2 or even a new zone! Better yet, having the “extra” stages as exits you can find in certain levels to play those extras in the main campaign! (of course after you unlocked them)

This sounds like a “what if” but it’s merely an idea that could maybe not even work with Sonic rules, although maybe it could have an application in 2D Sonic games...

I'm guessing that the secret zone would be a shortcut to red volcano by passing through mine maze zone since in the old cutscene, the zone was planned to be after dsz soo it would be a cool suprise :>

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back