[Open Assets] Virtual's MD2 Parade - Sonic 2006 travels to Srb2!

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Those specific models are the ones I'm talking about, they don't have rigs, no bones to animate, no nothing, they're unmoddable.

But I've been pushed to make my own rigs, since these models are so damn low poly, that it takes no effort at all to make rigs, so I took the freedom to make a rig for the Sonic R model.

7b01d33552.png

NOW PLS LISTEN

I won't get to Sonic R till I fully finish the Sonic 06 MD2 pack, the 06 pack is something I wanted to do for a very long time, and I still haven't finished, if I have enough time after I finish the 06 MD2 pack, I will make some Sonic R models.

EDIT: Oh also, I expected some feedback on the latest release of the 06 pack, but we found ourselves talking about Sonic R instead lol

Those specific models are the ones I'm talking about, they don't have rigs, no bones to animate, no nothing, they're unmoddable.

But I've been pushed to make my own rigs, since these models are so damn low poly, that it takes no effort at all to make rigs, so I took the freedom to make a rig for the Sonic R model.

7b01d33552.png

NOW PLS LISTEN

I won't get to Sonic R till I fully finish the Sonic 06 MD2 pack, the 06 pack is something I wanted to do for a very long time, and I still haven't finished, if I have enough time after I finish the 06 MD2 pack, I will make some Sonic R models.

EDIT: Oh also, I expected some feedback on the latest release of the 06 pack, but we found ourselves talking about Sonic R instead lol

Cool, but for characters like Amy, use the custom Low Poly models. No way I'm gonna play as the disgusting monstrosity that is the Amy R model. Makes me REALLY wish the promo art for amy with the full body was ported to the PC re-release or at least released...

I find it absolutely amazing that you were not only able to fit these into SRB2's poly limits, but also recreate the animations so well! These will go very nicely with the level pack that STHE123O is making.

Just a small suggestion but could you base the Sonic R model's animations on this?

They're both the same model, but I feel like 3D Blast's has a cleaner set of animations that would work better for SRB2.

Last edited:
What else do you have planned for the 06 pack?

Right now I haven't made a full list, but what's definetly coming next is the spiked balls (used for spikeballs on chains at CEZ, and the spiked balls used by the Eggscalibur at CEZ 3), the checkpoint (ima use 1 out of the 2 cause of the collision radius of the sprite) and a few more I will probably mention tomorrow.

Just a small suggestion but could you base the Sonic R model's animations on this?
They're both the same model, but I feel like 3D Blast's has a cleaner set of animations that would work better for SRB2.

I'll recreate them but I'll make some deviations from them to make the animations fit in with the fluidity of Srb2's frames speed.

I'm usually not one to request MD2s often, but I would be impressed and interested if you were able to make support for not only Silver the Hedgehog, but also for the Silver Boss fight from SUGOI and Boss Mayhem (since Silver's fight is much easier to do frames for :P)

For the ring boxes, I would add an inverted circle thingy to show the inside of the monitor, but still appear to be glass, like for example what jeck did for fsonic or the egg slimmer boss.

Here is a quick example I made (sorry, had to make a quick poop model, because funny enough I don't have a single ring box model on my pc):

R3oAWxB.gif

to invert a mesh, simply make the faces face outward. This makes the fronts backs, and backs fronts. So whatever is in the back, we can see, and whatever is in the front, not visible because its the back of the face. This allows us to see what is inside, but not what is past it.

Right now I haven't made a full list, but what's definetly coming next is the spiked balls (used for spikeballs on chains at CEZ, and the spiked balls used by the Eggscalibur at CEZ 3), the checkpoint (ima use 1 out of the 2 cause of the collision radius of the sprite) and a few more I will probably mention tomorrow.

I'll recreate them but I'll make some deviations from them to make the animations fit in with the fluidity of Srb2's frames speed.
Make sure they're made for FSonic *cough*

Seriously though, I do like the Sonic R models, especially the Super Sonic ones.
Take your time :)

Hate to backseat moderate, but rn his main focus is 06, requesting models at this point when he is looking for feedback or suggestions for his 06 project seems kinda pointless. He said he cannot make Sonic R / Jam md2s (well, he can but he prefers rigged models) because those models didn't have any skeleton with animations attached to them.

Now, as for the 06 stuff, besides the monitor recommendation I gave, I noticed something that isn't your fault, but SRB2 itself. For some reason, all md2s in the recent versions have been flipped.

I noticed this as I was making a facestabber md2, and noticed his sword was on the wrong side! So the images in the monitors are actually being shown flipped, like in the screenshot you posted with the 10 rings saying 01.

I'm usually not one to request MD2s often, but I would be impressed and interested if you were able to make support for not only Silver the Hedgehog, but also for the Silver Boss fight from SUGOI and Boss Mayhem (since Silver's fight is much easier to do frames for :P)

Oh don't worry, I'll be making more character wad MD2s, for example Shadow from 06 for SpeedWagon's Shadow wad, or as you mentioned, Silver for SUGOI or Boss Mayhem.

Make sure they're made for FSonic *cough*

Seriously though, I do like the Sonic R models, especially the Super Sonic ones.
Take your time :)

For FSonic I'm not pretty sure what to change, it seems pretty much similar to the original Sonic, looks like you can just assign any Sonic MD2 to FSonic through MD2.dat and it will look the same, but if that's not the case and there's stuff that needs to be added, then be more than welcome to talk to me about it.

For the ring boxes, I would add an inverted circle thingy to show the inside of the monitor, but still appear to be glass, like for example what jeck did for fsonic or the egg slimmer boss.

That actually sounds like a good idea! Tho I already know how to invert the faces of a mesh, I just didn't do it cause either I didn't want it to look bad or I just forgot about it lol. Too bad there's no transparency available for the OpenGL renderer, but I'll try to do what you suggested, seems like it's worth a try.

Hate to backseat moderate, but rn his main focus is 06, requesting models at this point when he is looking for feedback or suggestions for his 06 project seems kinda pointless. He said he cannot make Sonic R / Jam md2s (well, he can but he prefers rigged models) because those models didn't have any skeleton with animations attached to them.

Now, as for the 06 stuff, besides the monitor recommendation I gave, I noticed something that isn't your fault, but SRB2 itself. For some reason, all md2s in the recent versions have been flipped.

I noticed this as I was making a facestabber md2, and noticed his sword was on the wrong side! So the images in the monitors are actually being shown flipped, like in the screenshot you posted with the 10 rings saying 01.

That's true, my main focus right now is this 06 MD2 Pack, but that doesn't mean I can't have a list of what's coming next ;). About not being able to make Sonic R / Jam MD2s, it's also true that there's no rigs, but it was really easy to make a shitty rig for the Sonic model since i don't have to select that much vertices to assign to bones, so I basically have an already rigged Sonic R model to animate here!
Also thanks for the headsup about the flipped models, I also thought it was weird to see the item boxes inverted and stuff.
I'll be flipping the textures of all item boxes in the next release :D

For FSonic I'm not pretty sure what to change, it seems pretty much similar to the original Sonic, looks like you can just assign any Sonic MD2 to FSonic through MD2.dat and it will look the same, but if that's not the case and there's stuff that needs to be added, then be more than welcome to talk to me about it.

Extra sprites from FSonic include Spindash frames, a drowning sprite, and NiGHTS Super Sonic.

I don't even know what to say. I just tested these md2's and this has to be the best md2s for srb2

7b01d33552.png

NOW PLS LISTEN

This one clearly fits nicely with Placeholder Sonic since that wad uses Sonic Xtreme sprites. If you're wondering where do you find that character wad, go to SRB2 The Past's thread.

Hm, I know it sounds impossible, but can fragmotion reduce the poly of an md2 and keep the animations?

It clearly can, it keeps the animations, but it looks ugly as shit. thought you read through the posts lol, this was posted before the new update

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

This one clearly fits nicely with Placeholder Sonic since that wad uses Sonic Xtreme sprites. If you're wondering where do you find that character wad, go to SRB2 The Past's thread.

We're talking about the Sonic R model, not Sonic XTreme, the XTreme model has 50 times more polys than Sonic R.

O I thought it was without animations because it was t-posed

What you could do then, is take the md2, segregate the coloured parts into meshes, reduce the poly, when it looks like shit simply remap the colours (through the meshes that are made based on the old colours), and boom.

Because my old brak eggman md2 uses a decimated model, that has my own custom animations that I made looking at the original sprites, if you could literally reduce it by 18 vertices, then you could make the original md2 work...that or they could just bump the vert limit up but still lol

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back