TronRings.lua - a Match/CTF game mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

fickleheart

ms reflec beat stan
This script is simple at its core; it modifies thrown rings to spawn deadly trails as they fly through the air. This turns the standard match game into a competition of sudden death, as trails can quickly fill up an entire room and become almost impossible to dodge. There's a bit more to the script than that, though:

• Ring arcing - After firing a ring, turn your aim to alter the flight path of the projectile. (The path curves toward the angle you're facing, not the point the cursor's pointing at; keep that in mind when attempting to aim your trails.)
  • Ring cam - As an aid to the above. Hold down the Toss Ring button after firing to switch the viewpoint to your last fired projectile. Great for sending a ring in a circle across the map (or for homing straight into a foe), but be careful; you're still vulnerable wherever you stand while viewing the ring cam. (Use the RINGCAM cvar to adjust the delay before the viewpoint switches, or set it to 0 to disable ring cam altogether.)
  • There are no weapon rings. Ring trails or bust. Also, SUDDENDEATH is forced on, so no mercy will be shown. Playing with POWERSTONES off is probably recommended, but it won't make much difference since the odds of never taking a hit for long enough to get all seven is pretty low.

A few strategy tips, from my experience testing this against other players:
  • Rings don't turn instantly to your aiming angle, but arc smoothly and fairly loosely. Turn ahead and overcompensate a bit when trying to arc one through tight spaces, especially when you have control lag to deal with.
  • All of a player's trails disappear upon their death. If someone's flooded a hallway you want to go down, see if you can snipe them out of existance to get rid of their trails.
  • There's a hard limit on trail objects that can exist per player. If you fire a lot of rings, older trails will start to disintegrate. Other than that, however, there's no limit to how long a trail can stick around. Keeping this in mind, it's a good strategy to leave trails around in inconvenient places and stay picky with your shots otherwise.
  • You can die to your own trails. Especially ones you've just thrown. Avoid running forward while shooting; stick to strafing and backpedaling.

I'd recommend playing on smaller maps with enough tight spaces to make trails more effective at stopping players. Personal picks from the vanilla Match rotation include Noxious Factory, Frost Columns, and (if you want a real challenge) Infernal Cavern.

Also, note that the script can get laggy in larger netgames, particularly when looking at lots of trails congested in a single area.

Special thanks to MotdSpork for being a sport and testing this with me on multiple occasions

Attachments

• srb20344.png
    srb20344.png
    607 KB · Views: 1,146
  • srb20341.png
    srb20341.png
    656.1 KB · Views: 958
  • srb20390.gif
    srb20390.gif
    2.9 MB · Views: 972
  • tronrings.lua
    5 KB · Views: 753
Last edited:
Amazing! I can't wait to see the day we have bombs nuke Meadow Match, despite the way this could be used to make a tactical type of Srb2.
Like lets say, Sonic has the ability to Warp or Teleport ahead of him but not far enough to clip out. The main distraction on the field, scatter rings, bounce.
Tails would be a Recon to where he fires bomb rings from a camera and can rail with a scope. Then he can grenade from oncoming pursuers.
Knuckles is a treasure hunter right? Why not have him scavenge the emeralds for team power ups? Hmm... I might just make it happen.

100% awesomeness by me.
10/10 Great stuff for up coming mod ideas.

I hate it so much...why sudden death...why so hard controls! WHY NOT Z MAKES YOU GO UP AND X MAKES YOU GO DOWN! I'M NOT AN AIMBOT!

get this off the mb - Tonic

Yeah lil' r543. Really I love this because offers you a totally new game experience. Now you can be concentrated just on kill, be careful, and kill more.

I hate it so much...why sudden death...why so hard controls! WHY NOT Z MAKES YOU GO UP AND X MAKES YOU GO DOWN! I'M NOT AN AIMBOT!
tumblr_inline_nbx4p95kiv1snb4zo.jpg

But in all seriousness, are you playing keyboard-only? Don't play keyboard-only. Even vanilla match is difficult without mouselook, and this addon is only more difficult as emphasis is placed on your ability to precisely control your aim in three dimensions. Using a jump to rise/spin to fall mechanism would cause more problems than it'd solve, as your player controls are intentionally not locked while in ringcam to allow you to move freely at all times.

Sudden death was a design choice made to reduce the lifespan of trails left by good players, as well as to take the focus away from shields and ring hoarding and put more focus on evasion and laying out traps.

You can't blame me people host with it. :|

We should take your advice then, considering every single possible server open right now has tronrings.lua and it has completely disabled you from enjoying ringslinger gametypes ever again.

Except it didn't.

P5QRgBJ.gif
I really love this mod though, it's so much fun!

Last edited:
You know... maybe that's the reason it's DISABLED?

RedEnchilada said:
Playing with POWERSTONES off is probably recommended, but it won't make much difference since the odds of never taking a hit for long enough to get all seven is pretty low.

The first thing I always do with an addon is test it in an offline match to see how much I like it, and to look for any bugs (especially character WADs, I like seeing what their super forms look like). Besides, POWERSTONES off is only recommended, not automatically disabled. Maybe adjust it so that the path doesn't flash, because it doesn't seem to keep up with the character's flashing and other trails/parts of trails desync with the rest, sometimes by slowing down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back