Suggestions

What if srb2 had challenges like in sonic classic 1 and 2? You could beat the level under various circumstances to get a emblem. I think its much better then some of the tedious ways we have now. I think a few people will agree when I say that collecting almost every ring in every level isnt very fun. Now, here are some examples. What if I had to blast through a level as super sonic without letting my rings run out? Maybe metal sonic is constantly flying around you, and spawning energy balls if you dont keep moving, maybe the level is flipped and you gotta play through the level backwards, see what I mean? The challenges could be made to be creative and fun.

What if srb2 had challenges like in sonic classic 1 and 2? You could beat the level under various circumstances to get a emblem. I think its much better then some of the tedious ways we have now. I think a few people will agree when I say that collecting almost every ring in every level isnt very fun. Now, here are some examples. What if I had to blast through a level as super sonic without letting my rings run out? Maybe metal sonic is constantly flying around you, and spawning energy balls if you dont keep moving, maybe the level is flipped and you gotta play through the level backwards, see what I mean? The challenges could be made to be creative and fun.
Honestly, a Super Sonic Challenge mode WOULD be so much fun; you'd have one life and would start with 50 Rings (or more, depending on the Act/Zone) and you'd die if you lost your Super Form

NiGHTS Changes

NiGHTS is pretty fun already, but I think it could have some things altered to make it a more balanced experience.

First i'll talk about what the NiGHTS special stages do right. The first three stages have no hazards, or anything that will hurt you and reduce your remaining time. The 4th stage, Cavern Fortress, first introduces hazards, such as the moving chained spike balls, and the moving bookcases. The 5th zone, steps it up with pointy cacti everywhere, but they are static and do not move. The 6th zone has the floor and the roof covered with lava, and then lava moving up and down, making it quite the hazardous stage. And then special stage 7 has crushing floors, lasers, the spinning laser fan of death, and the minimizer (which turns Sonic small). And of course, the amazing music.
It also commonly encourages use of a power-up, such as the Super Paraloop, or the Nightopian Helper.

I believe that the first change that could be made is the time. The time isn't a pressure or anything. You start with "X" time, much lower than the original time. The first stage can still be easy, but I think this will balance the special stages and make them actually ABLE to be failed. Anyway, when finishing a loop, your time would go up by "X" amount. Suprised this isn't already implemented, as this is already implemented in mares in Alpine Paradise 2. I believe the reason you're given this much time, is because it would be impossible to do multiple loops around the level with littler time. But if time increased only when you finish the loop, then the challenge would be more balanced. Challenge shouldn't only be getting the best rank, beating the stage should also be challenging... at least a little bit. That and getting hit doesn't really matter in the long run in stages so :/

The second alteration, is NiGHTS power-ups should respawn after a loop. Some level design encourages use of it, and it would probably result in a more fun experience after the first loop. Anyway, to counter it lowering the challenge of getting higher ranks like "A" and "Rainbow A", the score required to get better ranks will be increased.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some other things I may suggest would be

Super Emerald NiGHTS stages. Most of the NiGHTS stages are easy to beat... for me and many others at least. These stages will be much harder, like the Sonic 3 & Knuckles ones being very difficult to beat. The first 3-4 stages can be the same difficulty or harder than Egg Sattelite, and 5-7 could even be as hard as Black Hole. Beating each one would net you a Super Emerald. It would also make Hyper Sonic exist, as you know... he's been dead since Sonic 3 & Knuckles D:
(Black Hole could be a part of these super special stages too)

I know making NiGHTS special stages are hard, so I don't know if this will ever be in, but it's a nice idea.

Last edited:
NiGHTS is pretty fun already, but I think it could have some things altered to make it a more balanced experience.

First i'll talk about what the NiGHTS special stages do right. The first three stages have no hazards, or anything that will hurt you and reduce your remaining time. The 4th stage, Cavern Fortress, first introduces hazards, such as the moving chained spike balls, and the moving bookcases. The 5th zone, steps it up with pointy cacti everywhere, but they are static and do not move. The 6th zone has the floor and the roof covered with lava, and then lava moving up and down, making it quite the hazardous stage. And then special stage 7 has crushing floors, lasers, the spinning laser fan of death, and the minimizer (which turns Sonic small).
It also commonly encourages use of a power-up, such as the Super Paraloop, or the Nightopian Helper.

I believe that the first change that could be made is the time. The time isn't a pressure or anything. You start with "X" time, much lower than the original time. The first stage can still be easy, but I think this will balance the special stages and make them actually ABLE to be failed. Anyway, when finishing a loop, your time would go up by "X" amount. Suprised this isn't already implemented, as this is already implemented in mares in Alpine Paradise 2. I believe the reason you're given this much time, is because it would be impossible to do multiple loops around the level with littler time. But if time increased only when you finish the loop, then the challenge would be more balanced. Challenge shouldn't only be getting the best rank, beating the stage should also be challenging... at least a little bit. That and getting hit doesn't really matter in the long run in stages so :/

The second alteration, is NiGHTS power-ups should respawn after a loop. Some level design encourages use of it, and it would probably result in a more fun experience after the first loop. Anyway, to counter it lowering the challenge of getting higher ranks like "A" and "Rainbow A", the score required to get better ranks will be boosted.

Super Emerald NiGHTS stages. Most of the NiGHTS stages are easy to beat... for me and many others at least. These stages will be much harder, like the Sonic 3 & Knuckles ones being very difficult to beat. The first 3-4 stages can be the same difficulty or harder than Egg Sattelite, and 5-7 could even be as hard as Black Hole. Beating each one would net you a Super Emerald. It would also make Hyper Sonic exist, as you know... he's been dead since Sonic 3 & Knuckles D:

I know making NiGHTS special stages are hard, so I don't know if this will ever be in, but it's a nice idea.
I really like this! These could be really good additions!

Some non-NiGHTS things i'd like to see include:
Act / Zone Transitions.
Super Sonic having slightly increased actionspd (including spindash charging slightly faster and going faster)
Being able to partner any 2 characters and having a partner ability (like in Sonic Advance 3)
Red Volcano 2 and 3 obviously and ERZ redesign
Maybe a new zone, i mean S3&K had alot of stages, though technically it was 2 games in 1... i'm fine if the devs dont want to add new stage tho
Frozen Hill Zone act 2 maybe
Probably some Amy changes, (not asking for Mighty and Cream in srb2 but I think the characters are cool)
I uh... i'm just trying to brainstorm ideas, i think this is enough actually

On the topic of challenges that could be pretty fun, I would like to see a game mode where you can't save your progress and have to play through the entire campaign with 1 life, 0 continues, and no more than 1 ring. Because ring and 1-up monitors would be useless in this mode, they could be changed to increase the difficulty by making them Eggman monitors.

A Super Sonic mode such as Jaco Boy mentioned where you start with 50 rings and transform immediately, keep your rings between acts/zones, and die if your ring count reaches 0 would be pretty fun as well. Other fangames/romhacks have done things like this before and it makes for an interesting twist on Super Sonic gameplay. Because you are effectively always on a countdown, it really tests your knowledge of the layout of zones and how to most efficiently speed through them while under pressure. Perhaps this could be an unlock for clearing the campaign with all emeralds as Sonic?

Something I thought about when I first found out 2.2 had unlockable characters was being able to unlock NiGHTS as a playable character exclusive to NiGHTS mode stages, perhaps locked behind getting all A ranks in NiGHTS mode or something.

First i'll talk about what the NiGHTS special stages do right. The first three stages have no hazards, or anything that will hurt you and reduce your remaining time. The 4th stage, Cavern Fortress, first introduces hazards, such as the moving chained spike balls, and the moving bookcases. The 5th zone, steps it up with pointy cacti everywhere, but they are static and do not move. The 6th zone has the floor and the roof covered with lava, and then lava moving up and down, making it quite the hazardous stage. And then special stage 7 has crushing floors, lasers, the spinning laser fan of death, and the minimizer (which turns Sonic small). And of course, the amazing music.

The second alteration, is NiGHTS power-ups should respawn after a loop. Some level design encourages use of it, and it would probably result in a more fun experience after the first loop. Anyway, to counter it lowering the challenge of getting higher ranks like "A" and "Rainbow A", the score required to get better ranks will be increased.

I agree wholesale with the first and second suggestions. It always felt really weird to me that the special stages had sort of this warped difficulty curve where the first three stages are almost impossible to fail while the difficulty balance from 6-7 ranges from "Okay this is challenging" to "Oh shit, wtf". I also think one of the things that made official special stages fun (whenever they were fun, anyway) is that sense of constant pressure, but you really don't get that with the way that our timers are set up. It makes the sense of progression feel really disjointed and occasionally leads to situations where the player knows there's no possible way they can win after a certain point of making too many mistakes. I think having more ways to achieve bonus time during a run would handily fix this. I think the only question is whether or not we would want to add some kind of diminishing returns into the mix? I figure that modifying the timers might implicate A-ranks in some way.

A second set of special stages would be cool, but unfortunately it's not very likely to happen, since NiGHTS stages by and large are way, way more difficult than making standard SRB2 stages.

I think charsrebalance metal sonic should replace the current one in the base game. He certainly doesn't feel "weak" or "underpowered" to me; a skilled player can make great use of the dash mode in frankly any level, and the jump boost compliments him a lot better than that boring float.

It always felt really weird to me that the special stages had sort of this warped difficulty curve where the first three stages are almost impossible to fail while the difficulty balance from 6-7 ranges from "Okay this is challenging" to "Oh shit, wtf". I also think one of the things that made official special stages fun (whenever they were fun, anyway) is that sense of constant pressure, but you really don't get that with the way that our timers are set up. It makes the sense of progression feel really disjointed and occasionally leads to situations where the player knows there's no possible way they can win after a certain point of making too many mistakes.

I have seen conflicting opinions among my friends regarding this topic, ranging from having no trouble with the Special Stages whatsoever to having a hard time getting more than a few emeralds at all.

In my own personal experience, I am able to clear almost all of them no problem, the final one takes me generally two tries at most, but for some asinine reason Special Stage 6 is where I always get stuck. It's like there's this sudden difficulty spike way up during SS6 that calms down a little bit when you get to SS7, making it feel as though the two appear in the wrong order.

I'm actually a much bigger fan of the multiplayer special stages. Aside from just being nostalgic, they are much more in line with how the rest of the campaign plays and you have a different experience in them while playing as different characters which adds replay value.

I feel as though either there should be a toggle to choose which special stages you want to have while playing through the campaign (But are forced to commit on that individual character save after doing so), or the multiplayer special stages should just become standard with the NiGHTS special stages relegated to NiGHTS mode entirely instead. At the very least the difficulty scaling needs to be tweaked to feel more like an uphill slope rather than a sudden cliff to ease the player into the later special stages while still providing a challenge. I am however totally fine with Special Stage 7 being totally brutal, as it's something of a Sonic game tradition.

I'd also like the items to gravitate towards you when you do a paraloop. As it's kinda annoying having to get them. I don't know if everyone will agree with this though.

On the topic of challenges that could be pretty fun, I would like to see a game mode where you can't save your progress and have to play through the entire campaign with 1 life, 0 continues, and no more than 1 ring. Because ring and 1-up monitors would be useless in this mode, they could be changed to increase the difficulty by making them Eggman monitors.
Ultimate Mode, but slightly more lenient?

Possibly changing ForceCharacter to work with bots as well (as in sonic&tails would be read as the player skin Sonic and the bot skin Tails instead of just a skin named "sonic&tails")?
For example, say you wanted P1 to be Knuckles with P2 being Fang. That could be enforced using "ForceCharacter knuckles&fang" in the level header. And just as an extra precaution, the &bot part could be ignored for Coop and such, due to the ability to change characters on the fly. This might mean rewriting the bot code to work with Sonic, Knuckles, Amy (for the Pity Shield), Fang (for his gun violence), and Metal, but all I am asking for is "ForceCharacter player&bot" to be a thing.

Knuckles being able to glide Sonic like he does in the Sega Saturn special stages? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgkqE00APNo

I kinda want anyone to be able to pair up with anyone, like "Duo Mode" or like the team thing in Sonic Advance 3. Like every combination has an ability. And also be able to switch between playing as the main character and the bot character, to enhance the experience. It could be an unlockable, if you're woried about balancing concerns. I'd love this "DUO MODE" thing. The full idea is below

Pick 2 Different Characters to team up to face Dr. Robotnik and put an end to his evil schemes!

The idea is that we can have other characters team up, all with their own special ability. For an example, Tails and Knuckles.

Abilities

Sonic and Tails Combination Ability - Flight Call, allows Sonic to grab onto Tails and fly with him.

Theoretical Abilities

Sonic and Amy Combination Ability - Hammer Swing, Amy can swing her hammer at Sonic to give him a much higher jump, or a low jump but high momentum. (You can control the direction Amy's hammer swings, which will effect Sonic's height and momentum.)

Other:

EXAI, and having your partner target enemies.
Being able to switch between your main character and your partner.
Maybe have as an unlockable if you feel that it should be one.

I really like this idea. And would like in SOME FORM be implemented into SRB2. Doesn't have to be just like how I said. But Sonic & Tails being the only combination seems off. Yes, I know Sonic & Tails has been the only combination in Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and Sonic Mania. It's a classic thing, but I really think it'd be fun to have a partner character, and partner abilities.

I kinda want anyone to be able to pair up with anyone, like "Duo Mode" or like the team thing in Sonic Advance 3.

Pick 2 Different Characters to team up to face Dr. Robotnik and put an end to his evil schemes!

I really like this idea. And would like in SOME FORM be implemented into SRB2. Doesn't have to be just like how I said. But Sonic & Tails being the only combination seems off. Yes, I know Sonic & Tails has been the only combination in Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and Sonic Mania. It's a classic thing, but I really think it'd be fun to have a partner character, and partner abilities.

Personally I'm against this, and here's why:

SRB2 is designed around the abilities the characters have individually. Pairing any two characters together and giving them team abilities on top of that would change the entire dynamic of the main campaign and force large scale rebalancing in level design.

The idea strictly on it's own is fine, but in my opinion it would be much better for a level pack with levels built around this concept, rather than put into the vanilla game.

Can you bring back THZ2's original MIDI back to Techno Legacy?

THZ2 and TLZ share the exact same MIDI song (Not file), and it's quite inconsistent.

Suggestion to make CEZ chains that Swing store momentum cos at the moment they just stop you dead where you jump off the chain. Or an option to allow it to store momentum at least.

Modded Save File

Add a modded save file which can only be booted when the game is modified.
When you boot the save file you will first go to the character selection screen
before you would enter the level.

I'd like to request an option to make the player camera intangible.

I realize this will have some issues, particularly in software mode, but it would open up some opportunities for camera customization in OpenGL that I would really appreciate.

Please bring back the braking animation and noise for simple camera mode...I understand that nothing has changed, I'm still breaking, but I'm surprised at how much the sprites and sfx went to make braking feel good. I intellectually know that I'm still slowing down the same, but the character just FEELS heavier in some kind of intangible gamefeel sense. For a while after downloading the update yesterday I was absolutely convinced that Sonic felt like a tank, until I realized that he was unchanged, he just felt like a tank.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back