If you could add one new feature to srb2, no questions asked, what would it be?

Give Knuckles the ability to SpinDash while on a wall reference something he is able to do in the Advance Games.

Give Knuckles the ability to SpinDash while on a wall reference something he is able to do in the Advance Games.

that's...actually a really good idea. knuckles is a pretty slow character in general, and i think having an ability like this could speed the pace of his character up.
that and jumping without the camera turn is pretty useless to be honest

Whether it's a specific new character, loops, a new gameplay mechanic, or anything, regardless of how feasible adding said thing to the game would be or how difficult that would be, what would you add?

I'll start us off. I'd personally add the ability for sprites to use colors outside of the srb2 palette, so that I could hueshift my sprites better lol. Level rendering would still use the palette, so it wouldn't have the problems that truecolor would.

Please note: This is not a wadbegging thread. Please do not use this as a wadbegging thread. This is purely a fun little... thought experiment I guess you'd call it? eh, whatever lol.
It may not be a feature. But i would like to make a easy modder! Where you can make your own character without scripting. And atleast try to add a few custom abiliies thst you can use with custom 1 2 and 3

Super Forms for everyone by default
With a SF_NOSUPER skin flag being used to disable it, instead of a SF_SUPER flag to enable it
This also means Super Tails, Amy & Fang with unique abilities, like the Super Whirlwind Jump from 2.1 Match Super Tails

Sonic's only uniqueness

Right now, it's straightforward to make content exclusive to most characters due to their abilities; for example, breakable floor plus breakable wall for Amy, or a narrow gap plus spikes for Metal Sonic. Sonic is very left out in this regard...
Sonic has 1 thing that separates him from the rest of the cast.

His thok can be executed midair, anytime, anywhere, if you're jumping.
As such, you can make a simple path separator for Sonic by putting a low ceiling first, then a very fast wind sector and a hole in the wall right after with a bit of empty space for thokking, so that you hopefully cannot spindash-jump through.
It could be handwaved with some kind of gel or something.

Sonic has 1 thing that separates him from the rest of the cast.

His thok can be executed midair, anytime, anywhere, if you're jumping.
As such, you can make a simple path separator for Sonic by putting a low ceiling first, then a very fast wind sector and a hole in the wall right after with a bit of empty space for thokking, so that you hopefully cannot spindash-jump through.
It could be handwaved with some kind of gel or something.
The point I was making isn't that it's literally impossible to make Sonic-exclusive content. I meant that there's no straightforward simple way to do it that will clearly, inarguably work as intended. What you said doesn't sound like a bad idea on paper, but if you haven't tested it yourself, it's really just a random idea that may or may not work.

The point I was making isn't that it's literally impossible to make Sonic-exclusive content. I meant that there's no straightforward simple way to do it that will clearly, inarguably work as intended. What you said doesn't sound like a bad idea on paper, but if you haven't tested it yourself, it's really just a random idea that may or may not work.
I actually did test it.

Sonic-Path-Separator.gif

It's in the path selector for all characters WAD I made and posted on my recent Editing thread, so you can go and see how it works exactly.

If I were to add ONE thing... I'd add 2D sections at points where it's just a straight line from one point to another. I WOULD create WADs from inspiration from this thread, but I don't know how to yet... (no wadbegging intended)

---------- Post added at 02:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 AM ----------

that's...actually a really good idea. knuckles is a pretty slow character in general, and i think having an ability like this could speed the pace of his character up.
that and jumping without the camera turn is pretty useless to be honest

Being able to walljump without camera turn is so you can jump over gaps in the wall.

---------- Post added at 02:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 AM ----------

Multiplayer bots. Or more so, bring them back, as it's been attempted before with varying success (mostly clunky, actually).

There is certain potential there, both for practice or for just goofing around when netgames are scarce. Both SRB2 and Kart would benefit from it.

Like Offline Skirmish mode from MM8BDM? Good idea, I wonder if they'll add it in.

Last edited:
If I were to add ONE thing... I'd add 2D sections at points where it's just a straight line from one point to another. I WOULD create WADs from inspiration from this thread, but I don't know how to yet... (no wadbegging intended).
Then what is the point of making a map in SRB2 and not use a 2D sonic fangame engine? SRB2 has the tools to make even a straight line interesting (or maybe you shouldn't make a level that only consists of straight lines).

Then what is the point of making a map in SRB2 and not use a 2D sonic fangame engine? SRB2 has the tools to make even a straight line interesting (or maybe you shouldn't make a level that only consists of straight lines).

A 2D engine would force 2D all the time. The idea being presented is just to have 2D sections in areas it would be appropriate. Personally, I think it's a good idea as long as the player can choose to take another path and isn't forced to do 2D sections if they don't want to.

Give us a manual Spindash. Like the Classic games. And Bonus stages at Checkpoints Like in Sonic 3K and Mania.

what would be the point of a classic spindash? if anything, it would just make the game worse, since it wouldn't be cancellable with a jump. why would you want that?

Give us a manual Spindash. Like the Classic games. And Bonus stages at Checkpoints Like in Sonic 3K and Mania.
I disagree about the manual spindash, it wouldn't work in 3D as the down key is for going backward (even Adventure 1 changed the spindash because they knew).

As for the S3&K bonus stages I'm all for it.

I know of the problems, but then you could go max speed quickly. Maybe they could give it a second input to fix jump issues

I disagree about the manual spindash, it wouldn't work in 3D as the down key is for going backward (even Adventure 1 changed the spindash because they knew).

As for the S3&K bonus stages I'm all for it.
A manual spindash could in fact be implemented in SRB2 by making it by pressing spin + jump instead of down + jump. I believe there's a mod that does exactly that.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back