Input Display (for replay viewing!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fickleheart

ms reflec beat stan
A simple Lua script that displays inputs on the HUD. It doesn't show every input; it only displays movement keys, the player's angle, and the Jump and Spin keys. Its intent is as a visual aid for replay viewing, for those times when someone does something cool and you can't quite figure out how they do it. (Or something like that, I guess.) This script does not alter gameplay in any way, which makes it just about useless for 90% of the community. Sorry!

(Since Record Attack obviously won't show up with the script loaded, you'll have to use the PLAYDEMO console command to view replays with it.)

I have a GFZ1 ring attack video that demonstrates the script in action, if you'd like to see before you download.

Attachments

• srb20037.gif
    srb20037.gif
    3.9 MB · Views: 1,708
  • srb20038.gif
    srb20038.gif
    5.3 MB · Views: 1,326
  • input.lua
    829 bytes · Views: 839
This is pretty neat, I'll probably get some use out of this when someone does something completely insane in the time attack thread.

This script will prove invaluable for pretty much anyone concerned with record shaving. I wish I could say more, but this script is self-explanatory.

I have to say, thank you for posting this. I always load up this specific lua when I need to record a gif.

I'm thinking it might be better if the directional input was represented by four arrow keys, rather than a line and a dot. It represents the buttons the player is pushing far better, and makes more intuitive sense.

Anyway, this is excellent!

Directional input is represented the way it is because the game doesn't register it as four buttons, but as two axes of movement from -50 to 50 in each direction. Showing it this way shows the full input range for people on an analog gamepad (which I realize is almost nobody in this community, but it doesn't hurt to support them). Quite frankly I should probably make the turning angle use the input's angleturn var instead of the player's angle, but it really doesn't make any difference either way.

I hope there can be an extension for Other buttons to be used, like the custom buttons specifically, it would be good for other character wads so they can show off some of their techniques like the light dash, or chaos control.

I tried using this in multiplayer for fun, but it seems to fall apart when you're a spectator in an FPS mode. The A and B button can't be defined so they cause errors each frame. It would be cool if it could not only support multiplayer but also show which fire button the player is using to shoot.

You need to use the .gif feature in the software version of SRB2 by pressing f9 to start and stop

That's not how you make a replay, that's how you make a gif. Don't listen to him, VirtualBlitz. You need to play record attack and ring attack, then once you complete a level you can watch your replay of you playing in the level.

Or you could use the commands STARTDEMO and STOPDEMO. It lets you record anything outside of Record Attack.

Nice LUA script there. Now i can see inputs from a TAS (if i can find a replay, that is)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back