Mystic removal discussion - The good and the bad

As far as I remember, the "Nazi Blitzkrieg Blast 2" April Fools Day theming was intended to poke fun at the staff at the time being frequently referred to "grammar nazis". Of course now the whole joke seems in extremely bad taste, but it was a different time arguably.

...Actually to be fair, at the time I saw the MB like that, I totally forgot that it was actually April Fools Day and was worried the MB took a turn for the worse. Though I was only 12 at the time, mind you. (And I didn't even have my own account here yet, I was just a lurker)

Beyond that, Moose the Fat Cat has been permbanned now, so he's not going to be able to reply to any responses here.

Last edited:
Beyond that, Moose the Fat Cat has been permbanned now, so he's not going to be able to reply to any responses here.
Good riddance. That person was like a neverending escalator of bizarro nonsensical posts. Since he's banned, though, I guess "neverending" isn't accurate anymore.

Last edited:
Good riddance. That person was like a neverending escalator of bizarro nonsensical posts. Since he's banned, though, I guess "neverending" isn't accurate anymore.

:\

a note on this off the back of what just happened in the thread:

i think creating a spectacle out of users—drawing attention, berating them, dogpiling and bandwagoning—is something that should be moved away from. as the past 20 pages of this thread can tell you, this culminates toxic, bullying behavior that shouldn't have a place in a healthy community.

yes, situations like these can be perceived as "milking a lolcow" or whatever. they might be entertaining in some capacity, but it's a little too reminiscent of the whole "public execution" vibe from the older era. a post like "good riddance", even toward a permabanned user, is extraordinarily negative and non-constructive (even if justified)... this change has to be top-down.

Last edited:
oh my god MOOOOMMMM MOOSE THE FAT CAT QUOTED MEEEEE

i cannot believe this thread about discussing the bad parts of a community and how to improve it turned into someone just insulting people outright. sorry for my rudeness, but wow, what a loser. moose's thread was so very obviously made so they could have a chance at getting the moderator role but they just got the ban hammer instead.
whoopsie daisy!

with that said, i gotta admit... i really like this community? people are actually understanding and welcoming. im glad people are able to agree that Hey, Being Racist And Transmisogynistic And Perving Over Lolis Is Bad and also Dont Be Rude To People And Expect To Become A Moderator. im sure if it were a different community things would be very different, especially considering how.... weird gamers are.
this is like, the first sonic community outside of my very specific bubble in which people have morals. and the mods are nice and friendly and understanding. its not often i find an LGBT-friendly gaming community, but im glad srb2 is one of them.

this isnt even related to the thread anymore i just wanted to throw this out there. people supporting victims and stuff. and all that nice jazz. i have nothing else to say anymore i just love you guys lol
aight im off

Yeah, this is a good community for the most part. Not as many rotten eggs in here as in other communities (that I know of).

with that said, i gotta admit... i really like this community? people are actually understanding and welcoming. I'm glad people are able to agree that Hey, Being Racist And Transmisogynistic And Perving Over Lolis Is Bad and also Don't Be Rude To People And Expect To Become A Moderator. I'm sure if it were a different community things would be very different, especially considering how.... weird gamers are.
this is like, the first sonic community outside of my very specific bubble in which people have morals. and the mods are nice and friendly and understanding. its not often i find an LGBT-friendly gaming community, but I'm glad srb2 is one of them.
And I'm glad you feel welcome in this community because honestly I think that many gamer communities are sadly toxic and individuals such as Mystic are probably seen as the norm.

This isn't even related to the thread anymore i just wanted to throw this out there. people supporting victims and stuff. and all that nice jazz.
And this should be a normal thing from any community.

I think this thread is now answered and that people should remember that being a decent person isn't that hard.

You guys are right, it was hypocritical for me to go all "good riddance" at Moose getting banned. I believe that person is a full-out troll, but it didn't warrant such a harsh, aggressive response. I hope this attitude doesn't return to the SRB2 community and I shouldn't have acted it out in my prior post.

Late Reply

Yes, i know this is a relatively "old" post. I'm not trying to bring it back or anything. I've written this on and off for a while, so late response.
Yes, I know what I'm about to say might have been said before. Though since i'm newer here it might give a different perspective...

But i want to take it off my chest, so i don't have to think about it anymore.
As you might or...might not know, I'm a "newbie" in the community (Watched 2.0 stuff here and there back in the day, started playing and lurking at 2.1, and only really started participating in 2.2). But from the few posts and even fewer exchanges i saw and had with Mystic, he always felt like...how can i say this? a very stubborn person, who thought THEY were in the right 99.9% of the time. He felt like... any propositions people had against his ideas were directed towards >HIM< rather than towards the game design ideals themselves. I remember on a post of his, here on the MB, about a discussion that touched on how many concepts on the game now still exist because of Mystic's design decisions. Mystic seemed to take a TON of offense in this, saying it was an "Ad Hominem Fallacy" which, i honestly didn't agree with...
What was sad about that was seeing how some people would pull an 180 and agree with Mystic, not necessarily because they feared being banned, but also by the fear of being disliked by a game dev from your favourite game. Again, maybe that wasn't the case, but it sure felt that way...

Going away from that, so i don't get too off-topic. Mystic always seemed "unpredictable" you'd never know if he'd react angrily or reasonably to something. Which makes sense considering how everyone was so anxious around him. When he reacted in an aggressive manner, it'd be him making himself look "personally attacked" by others, even though i don't think that was always the case. He was very stubborn, only thinking what HE said was the right option, while the opposing opinion was stupid and flawed. Don't even think about giving him a suggestion that contradicts the "Right Way TM" of playing (his way).

Not only was he like this on the MB, but on the Discord server as well. He'd constantly would make cynical remarks when people gave a misinformed comment, or just because they made a silly joke. He was always this roadblock. Not only him, Rob was similar in this aspect, seemingly having a pseudo-god complex. Knowing they were both online made you instantly want to leave. And you'd see a fair amount of that, newbies being shamed for... being newbies, unaware of stuff. And people who might not know how to sprite as well as others. It was all very demotivating, for them, and for me too!
The cynicism is sadly something that they've infected the place with, from what i heard here, from VERY early on. But hopefully it will fully dissipate one day. I understand how easily one can get trapped in that bubble, i might have fallen there too, and i apologise. It's important to evaluate yourself constantly, and see if you're actually being constructive.

As for the... other stuff that happened at Discord, i don't have much to talk about that, as i was about... 30 seconds too late to seeing the whole thing unfold, and i'm just generally ignorant of all that happened. But oh wow, it made an impact. You could say it might've been the straw that broke the camel's back, everything led to this. And it was eventual to happen, Rob and Mystic both were very oppressive people, always pushing everyone's buttons. It became natural that people would get done with their antics and their poor design arguments, specially with the influx of popularity the game was having, attracting new people.

Overall, yes, like many said; good riddance. I've never felt comfortable with both of them around. Simply because you'd never know when they'd "strike" so to say. Hopefully the dev team, and the whole community itself, really, is feeling safer now that they're gone. As much as Mystic now being (thankfully) gone is a good thing (well, gone as long as he decides to), its important to also stay positive, and not dwell too long on the past (not saying that talking about it is bad, of course, i just did, after all).
And i totally believe that SRB2 will only go forward after this! I'm glad everyone is being more accepting and welcoming each day!

Phew, that's out of my system now. Thank god. I might have stumbled on my own words and repeated myself a lot there, also apologies for reviving this in advance, too!

No, he's been kicked from the dev team but not from the community. He has no incentive to return, though.

Oh... So why can't I DL Mystic Realm from his page? It keeps throwing some MB error mesaage at me

Oh... So why can't I DL Mystic Realm from his page? It keeps throwing some MB error mesaage at me

Are you for real right now? Here? In this thread? I know it's not exactly reasonable to expect you read 20+ pages of the room before commenting but god this is in such poor taste, I'm sorry.

What a needlessly belligerent response, regardless of whether this is or isn't the place for it.

If you're in his page then you should see an option for a mirror, use that. The normal link is trying to grab an MB attachment which must have been deleted.

Might as well back it up now. With Mystic gone and supposed mod successor (according to the wiki's entry on the mod) Prime 2.0/Pv2 also gone, it's likely this is the last version of Mystic Realm there'll ever be.

No, he's been kicked from the dev team but not from the community. He has no incentive to return, though.

More accurately, he was banned from the public discord and left the dev server/team of his own accord. To my knowledge he's not banned from the forums, not that it matters.

I've been around the wild srb2 ride since 2.0. Thing is, I've only really started participating in the public stuff when 2.2 hit the digital shelves, so I was pretty much oblivious to this stuff for a long time.

Following up on my previous post about mental health resources:

There's a new Games and Online Harassment Hotline to provide emotional support over text message. It's staffed by trained counselors who are well-versed in gaming communities. To talk, text SUPPORT to 23368. See Ars Technica article.

Once again:
  • If you're in need of remote counseling, research BetterHelp and similar services.
  • For discounts on counseling services, research OpenPath Collective.
  • For government mental health services, dial 211 in the US.
  • For suicide hotlines, review this international list and FAQs.
  • Or, you can use the Crisis Text Line by texting HOME to 741741.
  • Or, as above, use the Games Hotline by texting SUPPORT to 23368.

I honestly fail to remember if it was already mentioned in this thread, but I can explain why this happened, since it's sort of relevant to the discussion about Mystic himself.

At the time Mystic decided to leave the community, he posted what he'd done of the new version of Mystic Realm to Submissions. But at the same time, he tried to (I quote) use "the last of [his] useful influence" to fight the file naming convention to force it to change, which he did by naming his released file in the way he preferred. This did not work, and the submission was rejected.

The main link to the file on the Mystic Realm website is a direct link to the attachment for his Mystic Realm release thread. However, since it is currently in Rejected Releases, nobody but himself and judges can currently download it from that link. Obviously Mystic assumed there was some chance of it getting through despite going against conventions.

Really that whole scenario could possibly be considered another example of Mystic's unacceptable behaviour, which is why I feel it is *kind of* relevant to this discussion.

Also yes, Mystic was not banned from the forums, he just simply left them.

Wow. A 20+ page thread about Mystic being banned from the public SRB2 Discord and removed from the staff team is... shocking, TSTL (to say the least).

For one, I've never, and I repeat, never created a SRB2MB account by myself.

In other words, I was a guest.

And as kinky as it sounds, this was before I even got the courage to enter the forums because I was fearing consequences.

2019 was a good year for the most part, at least.

What's that?
You want to know if I had a story about Mystic?
Ehhhhhh.... No. Sorry. Don't have one.

Wow. A 20+ page thread about Mystic being banned from the public SRB2 Discord and removed from the staff team is... shocking, TSTL (to say the least).

For one, I've never, and I repeat, never created a SRB2MB account by myself.

In other words, I was a guest.

And as kinky as it sounds, this was before I even got the courage to enter the forums because I was fearing consequences.

2019 was a good year for the most part, at least.

What's that?
You want to know if I had a story about Mystic?
Ehhhhhh.... No. Sorry. Don't have one.
I am pretty sure that this thread doesn't need any evolution as everything has been sorted out.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back