Kartmaker - Sprites to WAD in record time

[Open Assets] Kartmaker - Sprites to WAD in record time 2019-01-29

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
I noticed a mistake on the template long ago. It's small so it shouldn't be much.
The signpost section is 1px lower than the actual signpost space, so it'd be better if it was 1 pixel taller pointing down. Not really much but it does bother me.

Some minor changes to support linux. All in main.c, using diff syntax (- is remove line, + is add line)

This header doesnt exist on my computer so it fails to compile trying to include it, but nothing in the code depends on whatever is in it, so it can be removed safely.
Code:
-#include <direct.h>
main() tries to open the file "playpal.lmp" which fails due to the filesystem being case sensitive, also segfaults due to no error handling.
Code:
-        SET_FILENAME("playpal.lmp");
+        SET_FILENAME("PLAYPAL.lmp");
         printf("%s\n", path);

wadf = fopen(path, "rb");
+        if (wadf == NULL) {
+                fprintf(stderr, "PLAYPAL.lmp file not found\n");
+                exit(1);
+        }
A simple makefile could be added too
Code:
CFLAGS=-Os
LDLIBS=-lm
src := main.c lump.c lodepng.c cJSON.c
kartmaker: $(src:%.c=src/%.o); $(LINK.o) $^ $(LDLIBS) -o $@

So I got a custom character working nicely in my first try, however im still a bit confused with the colors, how do i set up the sprite color in the file so one can select any color in the character selection menu?

So I got a custom character working nicely in my first try, however im still a bit confused with the colors, how do i set up the sprite color in the file so one can select any color in the character selection menu?

If you want your character to change colors, you need to use any shade of green from the green palette line in SRB2's color palette
jvOT9KP.png

(In this image, it's the large row of greens immediately below the red/pinks)

Suggestion: Make this for Vanilla SRB2, to make wadding much easier.

the difference between kart and Vanilla is that kart reuses sprites and overall has less sprites

Vanilla has a butt ton of sprites and barely any are repeated, even if there was a program for it, you would have to manually rename each sprite in slade, you cant just batch rename them

Sprites totally white in game, have I mucked up some how?

i'm not sure what i've done, but Both my sprites and the example sprites show up totally white when I put them in the game with the .wad file kartmaker produces.

Am I doing something wrong?

Note: I didn't use the transparent versions. I'm guessing i've accidentally use a colour that isn't in the games palette.

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

i'm not sure what i've done, but Both my sprites and the example sprites show up totally white when I put them in the game with the .wad file kartmaker produces.

Am I doing something wrong?

Note: I didn't use the transparent versions. I'm guessing i've accidentally use a colour that isn't in the games palette.

I got it figured out in the end, I think I'd just installed it in a rush and it was causing weird errors.

• Cool!
Reactions: Dee
I've made sprites, but when I drag the folder into kartmaker, it does nothing. Do I need to get something else for this to work properly?

Did you:
- put your sprites on one of the given templates (or another template by someone else designed for Kartmaker)
- make sure NOT to crop the template to a smaller size (larger is fine, but keep the template in the top-left corner)
- extract the whole folder, especially the PLAYPAL.lmp file, into the same folder

? If so there should be a WAD with the folder's name next to it. There should be no other dependencies.

- put your sprites on one of the given templates (or another template by someone else designed for Kartmaker)
- make sure NOT to crop the template to a smaller size (larger is fine, but keep the template in the top-left corner)

I definitely did these, no problem. But this...

- extract the whole folder, especially the PLAYPAL.lmp file, into the same folder

This is what confuses me. By "especially the PLAYPAL.lmp file," do you mean I need to have that file in the folder with the character when I export?

help?

So, overall i saw this tool being used well. But when i try to export my folder into the kartmaker.exe, it won't work..
I tried to change some files, but it seemed that my sprites couldn't make kartmaker work.
I even tried reinstalling it, but it didn't work.

ok, but what about .WAD to sprites? i need it for my OC! (my true OC cannot be created in SRB2K, so i will need tails's sprites for my OC...)

Last edited:
Can this be used as an alternative to lump editors like SLADE3 or is this simply a tool to be used in conjunction for them? (asking because for some reason i cant get the slade setup file working on my computer)

edit: i messed with it for a bit, and i figured out what it's for, le epic. also i still cant get SLADE3 setup but that doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Request

Could you please make a mac version of this? i know it might be a lot to ask, but i would really appreciate if you did!

ok, but what about .WAD to sprites? i need it for my OC! (my true OC cannot be created in SRB2K, so i will need tails's sprites for my OC...)
You can use SLADE for that, I use it. If it's too hard for you I can do a Tails sprite sheet and send it through here or through PM, I was going to do one anyways.

Last edited:
This mod seems like a very nice and easy way to make character mods. Now my mod can finally become a reality!

Last edited:
You can use SLADE for that, I use it. If it's too hard for you I can do a Tails sprite sheet and send it through here or through PM, I was going to do one anyways.

I'm also on Mac, and I'd want a Mac version for this too, because even though you can use SLADE, I'd really appreciate the template this gives.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back