• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

PTH's potato sack of things

Status
Not open for further replies.

TelosTurntable

How the turns have tel- tab-
A long time ago, I started a spriting thread. But see, soon enough, it won't be just for sprites. So I've it changed the name from 'The Shadow's various failures' to 'PTH's potato sack of things'. My main focus/ current project right now is a character who... is supposed to use ice. I say it like that because I'm nowhere much in development and that could change, really fast.
Here's some of what I've done so far (Again, not much):
9020Lsa.png

QtxECtW.gif

You're probably not wondering why her eyes are brown in the large one, but small in the others. That's because the head is based of of the head of another character from a while ago, and those were the first 3 frames I did for this one. I decided that since she used Ice, she'd be sky blue. Sky blue eyes and fur make for a boring face, and so to compensate, I gave her the most/least common eye color, in the real and sonic world respectively. I'll update the sprites some soon. But I degress. More text later.

Last edited:
Hey, it's not that bad! I mean, that Zero looks... odd. But It's probably because he is missing his legs. The Health bar thing looks promising though, maybe some LUA can help you making it a HP Bar for Bosses/Players, which would be awesome. Blake's sprite is looking preety... HD. Seriously, the shading is almost too real. But that's not a bad thing.

Overall, you really know how to sprite correctly.

Just a small advice: If you plan to complete Blake/Your OC, I doubt that they will pass submissions unless they have something new. Unless these characters have some kind of new ability no one has ever seen, cool! It might be in releases. But don't think that they can pass submissions just for looking good. They might pass for concept but probably not for gameplay, you know what I mean?

Keep up the work mate! BTW, These don't go to my "Failures" Book. They are a nice start.

I'm about to change his design again :P

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Hey, it's not that bad! I mean, that Zero looks... odd. But It's probably because he is missing his legs. The Health bar thing looks promising though, maybe some LUA can help you making it a HP Bar for Bosses/Players, which would be awesome. Blake's sprite is looking preety... HD. Seriously, the shading is almost too real. But that's not a bad thing.

Overall, you really know how to sprite correctly.

Just a small advice: If you plan to complete Blake/Your OC, I doubt that they will pass submissions unless they have something new. Unless these characters have some kind of new ability no one has ever seen, cool! It might be in releases. But don't think that they can pass submissions just for looking good. They might pass for concept but probably not for gameplay, you know what I mean?

Keep up the work mate! BTW, These don't go to my "Failures" Book. They are a nice start.

I think your completely ignoring the fact that his head looks like a brick :T.
Of course, Blake's gonna be different. He's human, so jumping will be a problem. I'll make sure of that :P. All of his abilities in midair will probably be for attacking, save for one, which should help his 50% jump seem less pathetic.

The colors for Zero's body are off. In all the official artwork, his bodysuit is closer to indigo or purple, rather than black. Also, the white parts of his helmet extend far too low in your sprite, giving him the appearance of an ant with large mandibles. Speaking of white bits, Zero's thong is showing some serious camel toe. Lastly, not sure what you were trying to go for with that dorky pose, but I'll excuse it for now since it's just an unfinished mockup of a standing sprite.

If you want some good reference pictures of official Zero artwork, check out this link: http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/x...Official Complete Works Resized?sort=2&page=1

The colors for Zero's body are off. In all the official artwork, his bodysuit is closer to indigo or purple, rather than black. Also, the white parts of his helmet extend far too low in your sprite, giving him the appearance of an ant with large mandibles. Speaking of white bits, Zero's thong is showing some serious camel toe. Lastly, not sure what you were trying to go for with that dorky pose, but I'll excuse it for now since it's just an unfinished mockup of a standing sprite.

If you want some good reference pictures of official Zero artwork, check out this link: http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/x...Official Complete Works Resized?sort=2&page=1
I've got the right pose in my mind, I just cant draw it right :/. I'll take your advice on the body suit though...
Well, at least the thread's name is right :V

I've got the right pose in my mind, I just cant draw it right :/. I'll take your advice on the body suit though...
Well, at least the thread's name is right :V

Haha, I'm just a huge fan of the Zero series, so the mistakes were very apparent for me. All of them can be fixed easily enough, I suspect. It's been years since I did any sprite-work of my own, and it's plain to see you're better than I ever was.

http://i.imgur.com/czH3Q9U.png
RUN

7rjOal6.png

bhPMTtd.png

fPMxkIA.png

Blake's new design, Face thing and super state face.

Just change the shoes design to something a bit more like the original sprite you had, and the fact that is a human in SRB2 will be almost unrecognizable (I mean, it will look like if it wasn't from a Sonic game).

Hah, I thought I was the only one liking that MM saga, that Zero sprite of yours looked odd to me because no one has ever tried one before, and the pose it gets is a bit... awkward. I didn't see a living human having a knife or sword or weapon in that pose before, but that's just me.

Also...
Legendary Emerald said:
oh god a shadow recolor in his young days with a odd looking mouth ;_;

Oh look, over dramatic shading :P

So I re-shaded the hair some
Fw1K4Sx.png

I want opinions so if no one likes it I can stop while I'm ahead.

The shading on the middle of the hair... bothers me, for some reason. I also don't understand what's with the vertical lines on his pants. They simply... end there in the middle of his leg, it's kind of weird.

EDIT: Actually, I might have made the hair worse.
EDIT2: Nope.

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

a8zQhsP.png

Yeah. So... Yeah :Y

Last edited:
dZ7EEpB.png

Have one more sprite. I might complete this one, not sure though.
EDIT: God, the head doesn't fit at all.
EDIT2: Nevermind, it's alright. I was just confused O-o
EDIT3: MotorRoach helped me see what was bugging me so much.

Last edited:
Looks like a Sonic character pasted on a human body, to be honest.

Shading is cool, but it bothers me how the boobs are... shiny like baloons, and the way her feet are facing so far away from each other makes it look like her ankles are broken.

Looks like a Sonic character pasted on a human body, to be honest.

Shading is cool, but it bothers me how the boobs are... shiny like baloons, and the way her feet are facing so far away from each other makes it look like her ankles are broken.

yeah, the boobs thing was actually a reaction test XD
I've been practicing drawing humans a lot recently, so the human body thing is likely a product of that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back