Ask a Quick Question, Maybe Get An Answer Sometime

They were removed to establish render parity, something that never came to fruition anyways.

Well, actually, they were removed because 2.0 changed all the object numbers, causing them to not work correctly anymore. Because they sucked, we removed them entirely instead of fixing them.

Well, actually, they were removed because 2.0 changed all the object numbers, causing them to not work correctly anymore. Because they sucked, we removed them entirely instead of fixing them.

As far as I know from the code, they work by sprite rather than by object (this is good and awful at the same time), and said sprite names are also miraculously up to date for 2.1 in the script. The only issue really being the inconsistent crashes they give and their console commands literally not working. Though it's understandable to not want them back.

Why were nearly all of the Crawlas removed from the Aerial Garden Zone hyper level? I know it had a lot of enemies to begin with but they were so useful for Sonic to badnik bounce up to greater heights! The BASH is certainly as big of a threat however it tends to laughably suicide if it whiffs the player and hits the edge of the screen, descending into the death pit.

The Crawlas did a good job of guarding the ledges and providing good bounce shortcuts to help cut some of the precise platforming while maintaining the high difficulty of the level (at least for Sonic)

Also, that scrolling floor section can kiss my ass.

How do you get motivation to work on a map again? I really want to work on one of my maps, Midnight Shores Zone, but every time I try to work on it, I always end up having lack of motivation. which leads up to procrastinating, which then becomes an endless loop. So how does one stop procrastinating and get motivation to do something again?

Last edited:
How do you get motivation to work on a map again? I really want to work on one of my maps, Midnight Shores Zone, but every time I try to work on it, I always end up having lack of motivation. which leads up to procrastinating, which then becomes an endless loop. So how does one stop procrastinating and get motivation to do something again?

I know how you feel dude. I was just in a motivation block for the past three years. It's hard to say where the motivation came from after all these years but after just talking to a few members here bouncing ideas from one another and playing a really excellent game going by the title, Spark the Electric Jester, I just got motivated and started to work on maps and dabble in Lua reteaching myself the basics.

For tips on how to get the motivational drive back, I would just talk to a few members on the MB or on various Discord servers on a few ideas for maps and concepts as well as play a good platformer if you want motivation and ideas as well. Playing a bad platformer and being overly negative about it will really make you not want to work on your map. Over analyzing the design of each of your maps and trying to pinpoint what would be fun and what would not be fun really ruins the motivation to work on any project (trust me I learned from experience). I even found out by just going outside just taking in nature or hanging out with my friends increases my motivation on working on not just SRB2 content, but other content as well because I took a little break from it whenever I felt like I didn't have any motivation.

I hope this helps dude and good luck!

Why were nearly all of the Crawlas removed from the Aerial Garden Zone hyper level? I know it had a lot of enemies to begin with but they were so useful for Sonic to badnik bounce up to greater heights! The BASH is certainly as big of a threat however it tends to laughably suicide if it whiffs the player and hits the edge of the screen, descending into the death pit.
Framerate. AGZ lacks a reject, so back when AGZ was merged I had to remove the crawlas otherwise if you didn't kill them there would be literally hundreds of them pointlessly attempting to chase you from across the map. We've already done some things in the enemy department for AGZ in order to make it feel more lively again, although the enemy bouncing still isn't going to be nearly as effective as it once was.

That’s a bummer I enjoyed figuring out ways to skip portions of the level as Sonic.

Another question came to mind. What viability does Knuckles have in competitive netgames (match, CTF, race, etc.)? I asked this question on the Discord and someone said he has an increased fire rate (25%) specifically. Knuckles has always been my favorite character of the three but I’ve learned to accept that I’m bad at ringslinger modes and it’s also lead me to believe that Knuckles has too many shortcomings compared to Tails and Sonic. I feel like he doesn’t really have much of a niche when it comes to ringslinger modes mainly. I’m not too concerned about his role in race mode because Sonic and Tails will always dominate race mode.

Sonic is so hard to hit with his mad thokking prowess and Tails can be too along with being a complete nuisance with rails. Meanwhile, we got Chuckles who is extremely vulnerable and defenseless while climbing walls and doesn’t has a gliding ability that doesn’t hurt opponents so he has to try to shoot while gliding if he wants to take advantage of being in the air.

I don’t really talk about this much though because I don’t know what could be done to buff Knuckles that can allow him to retain his vanilla/nostalgic features (so giving him punching moves is a no). My biggest suggestion would be to allow Knuckles’s glide ability to hurt anyone in his path. Just my two cents.

The Mapping Groove is a sacred way passed down from one mapper to the next that you can get into if there are no distractions, you turn off the internet and your phone, and you play some cool music of your choice on a lower to middle volume. It's something to aim for to get out of mapper's block. The main part of it is just doing something. I usually start by drawing random shapes and then thinking about what can go into those shapes - or maybe think about how I want to get from point A to point B. Alternatively, I might get an idea I want to implement and then try to plan it out so that I can implement it ingame. Things that would be cool to see, dangerous things, stupid ideas, stuff from scenery and inspiration on Google Image Search, etc. Starting is the hard part, but once you get into the groove, you can keep moving forward.

Another question came to mind. What viability does Knuckles have in competitive netgames (match, CTF, race, etc.)? I asked this question on the Discord and someone said he has an increased fire rate (25%) specifically. Knuckles has always been my favorite character of the three but I’ve learned to accept that I’m bad at ringslinger modes and it’s also lead me to believe that Knuckles has too many shortcomings compared to Tails and Sonic. I feel like he doesn’t really have much of a niche when it comes to ringslinger modes mainly. I’m not too concerned about his role in race mode because Sonic and Tails will always dominate race mode.

Sonic is so hard to hit with his mad thokking prowess and Tails can be too along with being a complete nuisance with rails. Meanwhile, we got Chuckles who is extremely vulnerable and defenseless while climbing walls and doesn’t has a gliding ability that doesn’t hurt opponents so he has to try to shoot while gliding if he wants to take advantage of being in the air.

I don’t really talk about this much though because I don’t know what could be done to buff Knuckles that can allow him to retain his vanilla/nostalgic features (so giving him punching moves is a no). My biggest suggestion would be to allow Knuckles’s glide ability to hurt anyone in his path. Just my two cents.
He's more viable than Tails, but less than Sonic I guess. Sonic's thok just gives him way too much power in general for the competitive modes that it's not really worth too much comparing the others to him. As far as against Tails goes, using mouselook with his glide gives him a way to very quickly change direction unpredictably, so he gets an advantage in being difficult to hit but can't get as much aerial mobility. He can probably be situationally good in somewhat tight areas where Sonic can have difficulty running circles around everyone else with thok, and his increased fire rate will help him land shots on flying Tails'. He also has higher acceleration than Tails to help him with avoiding shots. The problem with Knuckles and spam in general with the competitive modes is that you need rings, rings that are usually already sucked up by all the Sonics because of them being able to get them faster and safer.

Tails and Knuckles can be useful in CTF though, where you'd want them to fill in for aerial assistance for whichever sonic is carrying the opponents' flag, or for defending your flag. Knuckles is great for defending the flag thanks to his increased fire rate allowing him to spam at whoever is after the flag and can have a pretty good time chasing the Sonic who is carrying it since they can't thok anymore. While Tails can grant great distractions and throw things from above to support any skirmishes happening from afar, best with the explosion ring of course since hitting any Sonic without AoE from above is not going to be happening much, grenade could be useful but the ring itself is pretty useless in actually denying area since most of the time Sonic is in the air and just will just jump over it anyway. Of course, Sonics are still the main ones on the teams and usually, more players will be needing to play him than the others.

As far as balance goes, I think Tails and Knuckles are pretty balanced in comparison to each other, neither of them can literally travel as fast as a thrown ring so they both have the opportunity to hit each other. In reality, it's Sonic that throws everything out of whack quite so far, having just the thok makes him way too good to pass up for match, and you need at least one in CTF too. It's also not helped that the acceleration stats are backwards in that Sonic has the highest acceleration on the ground while Tails has the lowest acceleration. At the very least I think I've heard at some point that thrown ring speed will be increasing in 2.2, and Tails will get a buff on top of that to his thrown ring speed. So maybe this will help the balance a little as it might be slightly more possible to aim for thokking Sonic, wondering if it would be worth leaving Sonic's ring throw speed at what it is currently and seeing if this helps even more.

If SRB2 version 2.2 won't have MIDI-type music for the vanilla game (which it likely won't, from what I can tell), will "sequence" files for version 2.2's OGG-type music be released anyway for people to be able to "mod" the music more easily?
I do not expect the soundfonts or such, but at least having the proper note pitches and timings could be nice and fun for people who want to play around with it, e.g. for changing the instruments or learning how to play the music on a piano or something.

I don't want to go ahead and say anything about the OGG soundtrack, but we actually just got an enhancement to MIDI support today. It's not going away.

If SRB2 version 2.2 won't have MIDI-type music for the vanilla game (which it likely won't, from what I can tell), will "sequence" files for version 2.2's OGG-type music be released anyway for people to be able to "mod" the music more easily?
I do not expect the soundfonts or such, but at least having the proper note pitches and timings could be nice and fun for people who want to play around with it, e.g. for changing the instruments or learning how to play the music on a piano or something.
Just to clarify, the MIDIs will still be in music.dta. There isn't a sound font for a majority of the OGG soundtrack since it's being recorded with real instruments and synths. Most of the 2.2 OST isn't deviating far from previous versions of the songs, so you'd be able to work off of older MIDIs anyway.

I don't know the technical details, but the end result is that the MIDI musics are no longer system-dependent for their sounds. Everyone should be able to hear things the same now.

I see. The game is probably set up to use a predefined software synthesizer or soundfont, then.

I don't know the technical details, but the end result is that the MIDI musics are no longer system-dependent for their sounds. Everyone should be able to hear things the same now.

I'm not sure that's an enhancement.

I'm not sure that's an enhancement.
Rob's talking about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMB5qy3dMEU

Not approved for 2.2 yet; it's in merge request.

(and his big mouth made me finish this feature, so if y'alls like it, buy him a beer or something!)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back