SRB2 Version 2.2 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't stress enough how much I love this update. As someone who's been playing this game since the 1999 halloween version, simply seeing the new title screen was enough to make me tear up.

Thank you guys so much for all of the effort put into this version! I love it. I have like 130 emblems right now... I think I ll be stuck with those for a while lol. The last one of Deep Sea Zone 1 was a pain to get D:

I might be one of the few people that actually played SRB1 before SRB2. It feels so good to know this game is STILL being updated. Once again, thanks :)

Srb2 2.2 is kewl

All of you madened amazing job to make srb2 2.2 And Its great i had nothing left to do but,press F to pay respect, F

You mad men actually made it.

Honestly can't even begin to explain how amazing this game has become. I still remember playing the humble 1.09.4 version as a kid, and not even understand how to jump, yet still enjoy the game. Now, years later as a 20 year old, I was brought to tears just... watching the revamped intro. Not only the new art, but the gorgeous animation of the title screen.

That wasn't the end, of course. From the little changes to the UI with the save files AND character selection, to the inmense changes like the movement and spritework and overhauled level design + art... It's simply breathtaking. Just playing through Green Flower again made me smile so wide it almost hurt. The music slaps so dAMN HARD-

As for the new content, just... Wow. I can't even begin to describe what a joy it was to play through the first time.

Okay so first off... Green Flower and Techno Hill were overhauled yet I could feel the similarities, to the point of finding some Emerald Tokens simply thinking "This one used to be around here". And then Deep Sea happened. Hoo boy, its gonna take a LONG time for me to get adjusted to its new design, it feels so different I love it!! And while I personally never had an issue with the boss, I like the change, it's much more fun to fight him now!

Arid. Canyon. Zone. Just... holy crap. Completely new! and the second act with the minecart was super fun!! Also crashing into the TNT had that bowling sound effect that made me laugh way too hard, even though I died. Also!!! FANG???? AS A BOSS??? I LOVE YOU SO MUCH-

Okay I do have a LOT more I'd like to fanboy about but just the last thing: I love that we can play as Fang, Metal AND Amy in the base game!! I love it!!

Finally, I want to thank each and every one of you who worked in this. You guys truly made one -if not, the best sonic fangame out there. I can definitely say, that the wait was worth it, and your efforts have truly payed off.

Thank you so much, and happy holidays <3

i'll be honest fellas,
it's playing great but it coulda used a bit more analog controls

Just because I haven't read anyone's posts with this info....

The console command is: "configanalog on"

Use it if you like, just keep in mind the devs are threatening to remove it.

The intro goes very fast, and the text can't be readen cuz the picture doesn't stay in screen during enough time for the text loading time

That happened to me too the first time, Simon, but that's because it was defaulted to a higher resolution, and for my case, 1280 x 800 in this game makes it lag somewhat, but especially so for that intro cutscene. Changing it to 640 x 400 did the trick

Man, Sonic Robo Blast 2 has come a long way since i last played.
I'm really loving this update!

(Also been a while since i last came to the forums too.)

This. Is. Incredible!

All my life I've admired SRB2, but in the back of my head I knew how hard of a sell it was to anybody else. Family and friends would take a half-second look at the screen and laugh because the "graphics" were so "bad". It was kind of like listening to Sonic 3 music out loud: people used to slickly-produced pop music will find it annoying and un-listenable, but you, who can enjoy grating high-frequency beeps and boops, can hear the awe-inspiring melody underneath.

But then there was 2.2.

There's a level of polish here that took me completely by surprise. It even impressed my wife at times. She occasionally looked over at my screen and said stuff like "wow, that looks cool". This is high praise from her, trust me. The spriting and texture work has just been massively improved. The stuff that used to be impressive to the random SRB2 fan has been updated to be impressive to just about anyone. The screen bursts with color and life, and the level design is organic and satisfying to look at in a way that was impossible before slopes. It's all so consistent, too! I didn't realize how jarring the entire experience was before 2.2. It's hard to imagine that just 1 update ago, 2.1 ERZ2 shared a game with 2.1 GFZ1. The difference in quality was vast. Now it's all been brought up to par and beyond. I was beaming, just beaming through my first playthrough.

Chaos Zero 64 mentioned that the game feels more like a classic Sonic game, and they hit the nail right on the head. The game is finally as colorful, lively, and slopey as an honest-to-god classic Sonic game. To be honest, I was a little nervous about this at first. I grew up on version 1.09.4, and up until now, the game has had its own unique quirky atmosphere. The bland but passable textures, the Yamaha Keyboard soundfonts of the music, all those flat-topped sectors; it wasn't exactly Sonic, but it was still good! And I have to admit, I already miss some of that. But, even with all that in mind, it would be a crime to say that you guys subtracted from the game in any way. I'm actually awed by how many good decisions you guys made on this update! It's like the stars aligned and all the right people made all the right choices. Take Minecraft, for example. Me and a couple of people here have been with it from it's seriously humble beginnings. It's become the best-selling game of all time since then, and has undergone a ton of changes. However, a lot of those changes have felt - and still feel like - steps backward (I still can't believe how ugly some of those damn biomes are.) In my opinion, SRB2 has only taken steps forward, and I applaud you guys for that.

I seriously can't praise it enough! I nearly teared-up playing through GFZ1. It was pure joy. My heart was racing and I was smiling wide.

This game has been with me for a long time, and I'm so proud of it. You guys have given me an incredible gift, and I thank you with all of my heart.

:)

I'm actually awed by how many good decisions you guys made on this update! It's like the stars aligned and all the right people made all the right choices. ... In my opinion, SRB2 has only taken steps forward, and I applaud you guys for that.

I really want to highlight this part. I absolutely agree, but I don't think I've mentioned this specific point before.

It is astounding how many good decisions were made across every element of the update. You'd think that there'd be a lot more drama and pushback in the community. Like, you guys tore down and practically remade from scratch a 20 year old game. You took a beloved game—one that's a huge part of so many people's childhoods—and replaced it with a different one. How could you not expect people to freak out?

But that potential freak out didn't happen. There's a rare few people here and there, there's some controversy with the controls, not everyone is happy with every music replacement, but it's generally all very minor.

That shouldn't even be possible. But it happened. That speaks to the incredible quality of this update more than anything else.

It's unbelievable how much this game has come together with this update. I thought 2.0 was big at the time, but the extent to which 2.2 heaps on the high-quality presentation updates, updated music, and comprehensive stage redesigns is absurd. Is it silly for me to say that I think this might be one of my favorite 3D platformers ever now? lol.

Far more than ever before this feels like a professionally-made and completed game. Amazing job to everyone involved. So much love and talent has went into this.

Could've been called 3.0 considering it's not just an "update" but a freaking remaster of SRB2.

Been there since the final demo era, when 2.0 came out, I thought it couldn't get better... But sevens hell the game as come a long way and reached heights I would've never imagined back then.

The level design is quite masterful, well paced, and full of attention to details. It's some of the best platforming I've never had in my gaming career. (Well, the actually the best in the "fast-paced" category.)

The characters feels more unique than ever too with the adjustements they received.
And it was quite the surprise getting more than the classic Sonic/Tails/Knuckles trio for once.

The music is also incredible, unlike most Sonic fangames, you music does have a clear identity, and every track is just perfect. I keep listening to this OST whenever I draw or sprite stuff. (I still think the themes of DSZ1 feels too different from the theme of DSZ2, though. Also, ERZ themes are bangers and got me extremely hyped for what the future holds for these zones.)

Anyways, you turned the game from good to masterpiece with this update. Now all that's missing is for it to be truly complete.

See you in another 5 years when loops get introduced and every level get remastered yet again. (I'm obviously joking.)

I found some bugs
#1: If you're Super and get invincibility, and after that break an extra life, the music will reset to the zone's default music, instead of SS' theme
#2: There's no colormap in Sapphire Falls' lower area

When I first saw the trailer for SRB 2.2, I was pretty impressed at what the developers managed to turn the Doom engine into. I downloaded 2.1 afterward because I wanted to see the game before a lot of things changed around.

The difference between the two versions in many of the zones were like night and day.

The detail, the exploration, the physics, it's all you would expect from a Sonic game. I think as of now, SRB2 is the standard bearer for 3D Sonic Fangames. While other fan projects use highly advanced 3D engines, this one not only has a nice aesthetic that reminds one of the Genesis days, but it has an actual storyline and ending as well.

On top of that, it's a nice and lightweight game that does not require a heavy launcher like Steam, and free as well. You don't see too many of those at this level of quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back