Favorite and/or first RPG you've played

First RPG?

Super Paper Mario

Favorite?

Super Paper Mario

Now, let me explain.
An RPG isn't always "take turns like a good boy and girl". RPG stands for "role-playing game". A game with story. And Super Paper Mario is a story filled game. Because of this, Super Paper Mario is an RPG. And it's quite an RPG.

as i said in the top,any RPG counts

Honestly probably Pokémon Red or that one bootleg Green translation, but on an emulator. I'm not sure exactly. I only started getting into RPGs for real with Final Fantasy IV's SNES version, also on an emulator, but that was when I was 13/14 (I'm 23 now).

My favorite RPGs are Legend of Mana, Live-A-Live, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IX and Romancing SaGa 2. For those somewhat disappointed in the amount of Square praise I'm giving, Popolocrois Monogatari (PS1 original) seems to be getting up there too. It's Japan only, but an English patch is being made. The PSP title is in English but it's a bit of a mix between 1 and 2 and it abridges the story too much. I like Okami as well, but that one's a Zelda-like (Action-Adventure) rather than a purebred ARPG. Tomayto tomahto, I'd say, but some people would rather argue minutia.

I haven't played any WRPGs besides Ultima I (the old DOS version haha). Sorry. I'm meaning to amend that sometime but I've been busy with other games. Still need to beat Ultima I too, I lost my save or didn't save or whatever, I forget. Powerlevelling in that game is really easy. Hovercrafts 4lyfe

My first RPG was Paper Mario on an emulator. My favourite i Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. Yes, on an emulator. I finished Paper Mario along time ago, while I am still playing Mario and Luigi.

I think the first RPG I ever played was the first Phantasy Star game. But I was too young to really comprehend what I was actually playing at the time and have no vivid memories of it beyond the intro sequence and finding the first dungeon a bit spooky.

I suppose the first RPG I can fully recollect is Final Fantasy 7, which I had the PC copy of.

As far as favorites go though, Deus Ex if you're taking a slightly more loose definition of what an RPG is, Fallout: New Vegas and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

I want to put Final Fantasy 14 up here as well as a favorite, being an MMORPG with a great story so far. But given its nature as a still updating MMO, I guess I'll wait to see how that story actually concludes first.

I was thinking of buying a Switch Lite in the near future, and it's something I'd like to replay. So it's probably something I'll pick it up again eventually.

I was thinking of buying a Switch Lite in the near future, and it's something I'd like to replay. So it's probably something I'll pick it up again eventually.
Honestly I bought a Switch mainly because of the Sega Ages and indie games on it.

My first RPG had to be TES IV: Oblivion, I still have very fond memories of it
As for my favourite I can't decide between Fallout: New Vegas or the JRPG Tales of Vesperia. Good times :)

I never got into RPGs. I played Pokémon Sun/Moon and got stuck. Might try PSO2 on my Xbox One X. I personally like the Pokémon Trading Card game if that counts.

Gonna specifically split this one into turn-based and action RPGs because I have very different feelings on both.

For Action RPGs, I'd say Monster Hunter World would be my favourite. I know it technically doesn't have a levelling system that typical RPGs do, but honestly - crafting armour and getting more powerful that way serves the exact same purpose, so I'd say it counts.

For turn-based RPGs, however, it's a whole 'nother beast. I typically do not like turn-based combat in games. I can put up with it for a few hours, but eventually the battles just become an interruption to the actual story of the game and end up killing the fun. The fact that you spend so much of a turn-based battle system completely out of control and just waiting for things to happen is just incredibly boring. Not only that, but often battles end up just boiling down to a set rotation which never changes. It gets stale really quickly.

There are, however, a few games which do turn-based combat in an interesting manner. The Mario RPGs (all of them, but in particular Paper Mario) has you timing offensive and defensive strikes, keeping you always in control even during the animations. Plus, the Paper Mario series tends to keep health and damage numbers low, making stat changes feel very impactful. There's a definite difference between dealing 4 damage and dealing 1 damage 4 times, and that's keeps things interesting. Then there's Undertale and Deltarune, which has you figuring out strategies to take each "enemy" out peacefully. It changes with each enemy, so you can't just rely on a single strategy. Plus, on the enemy's turn you end up staying in the action with an interesting minigame to dodge attacks. You never feel like the game is playing itself.

It also helps that none of these games have lengthy intro and outro sequences to battles before you can ever start doing anything. (LOOKING AT YOU, POKÉMON AND PERSONA)

Though my personal favourite has to go to Dicey Dungeons, simply due to how often the game will change things up. First, you have the dice themselves - you roll different dice every turn, and you'll want to use those dice on different equipment (your moves, basically) depending on what you've rolled. Not only that, but your equipment itself is constantly changing. You'll often find shops, chests or even level up rewards which will have you constantly changing up your kit to be more effective. Every enemy in a run also has vastly different equipment they attack you with, and you may change up your loadout based on who you're fighting next. Even though it's turn-based, you're constantly making decisions which may not actually work depending on the rolls of the dice. But you're always thinking of ways to make each and every turn more efficient.

Oh, Dicey Dungeons is actually a really good shout, I played through that game when it first came out and I had a great time. I think because I have a history in playing quite a lot of tabletop RPGs, and the more combat-oriented games in that genre are all about risk management due to how fickle the dice can be while also using an ever-changing set of equipment in clever ways, I immediately got along with that Dicey Dungeons as a concept. (This also probably ties into why I enjoy other risk management games like Blood Bowl or XCOM, but those aren't RPGs)

If tabletop RPGs count for this thread, then my first was second edition Dungeons & Dragons, because the dungeon master I play with for that just so happens to really enjoy that specific edition. And while it's hard for me to pin down a favourite tabletop RPG system because the quality is so often determined by how the person running the game handles it, I am going to be taking part in a campaign of Ryuutama soon which looks very interesting.

My first RPG had to be TES IV: Oblivion, I still have very fond memories of it
I don't care if it has badly aged (especially thanks to the meme video showing that) but this was my very first open world and western RPG as a whole.

I was kinda disappointed in Skyrim being less RPG and too snowy...

I don't care if it has badly aged (especially thanks to the meme video showing that) but this was my very first open world and western RPG as a whole.

I was kinda disappointed in Skyrim being less RPG and too snowy...
I vividly remember seeing it first when a friend of mine played it, the sheer amount of scenery detail and style. And then he went to kill someone and got recruited by the dark brotherhood.

I got the game later and I was amazed by all the guilds, the magic system, all the quests, the graphics at the time. The modding capabilities.

It actually blew up up my Radeon X1650 Series after I pushed it too far...

Later I got all kinds of expansions, but none stuck like Shivering Isles...
Amazing game. Skyrim wasn't bad per say but it didn't stick up with my Oblivion experience. Some people say similiar things about Morrowind, though...

I don't really know my first RPG, I can't really remember due to not playing it that much.
I also don't really have "favorites" since I haven't really enjoyed RPGs in a while, but I'll say Loomian Legacy since that's the only RPG I can think of that had me staying up late.
Yes, its a Roblox game, I know. I don't really play Roblox that much anymore apart from Classic Sonic Simulator, so please don't shit on me, thanks.

Speaking of purely turn-based RPGs I really want to try more dungeon crawling like Shin Megami Tensei and Etryan Odyssey.

Those are hardcore but the sub-genre deserves more love as a whole.

First rpg? How am I supposed to remember that? Let's say Zelda II, if that counts, heh. Close enough to the truth in all likelihood.

I think another interesting question, albeit one no one asked, is what was one's first completed rpg. Once again, search me, but I'll just put that down as Final Fantasy.

As for favorite, well, now that's another difficult question, even if it's a different horse. I guess I'd have to say Neverwinter Nights, because it's the one I've probably put the most hours in, it's Dandy (If I'm a fan of anything, it's D&D computer games), and user modules (Did someone say Swordflight?)

Of course, feel free to ask me again after I beat Wiz8.

Hmm, I've been giving a lot of thought recently to what I enjoy in rpgs, as a video game enthusiast who has finally come to terms with it being my favorite genre.

Character creation/building, if you're going to have story, then also reactivity.

I prefer create-a-party and turned based, but single character and real time (w/ or w/o pause) is nice too.

Level design is my favorite thing about video games, so no exception here. With rpgs, encounter design is the most important. I.e. combat design, dialogue sequences, and fun puzzles. However resource management is great when done well; especially with meaningful consumables. So good dungeons is tops.

I think I prefer first person perspective, for some reason. So It's no wonder that my favorites are Sworflight, Knights of the Chalice, Wizardry 8, and Daggerfall.

Although no one asked, my favorite rogulike is Stone Soup. Isn't it weird that rogulike and blobber transcend not only rt/tb, but also rpg. Of course non-rpg blobbers practically don't exists, non-rpg rogulikes (and rogulites) are more than extant. I guess we could call them meta-genres, like platformer.

Even better, I've heard that the Japanese call both rogulikes and blobbers drpgs. How can you just call two radically different styles of game the same name!?

I recall Digimon World on PS1 being the first RPG I played in a place I'm not really fond of remembering or talking about. I didn't have the luxury of playing games I wanted, part of the awful childhood I experienced through.

I played it again relatively recently, I could see what it tried to accomplish with its mechanics but couldn't get into it. What really irritated me was how the concept of digivolution was handled in that game... anyone who doesn't like Tyrogue's evolutions being based on whether it's Attack or Defense higher than the other in Pokemon games is not going to enjoy that system, especially when the values you need for specific mons aren't exactly displayed ingame.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back