Resource icon

Classic.wad: Classic Physics and Animations Recreated in SRB2! 2.2.3

Rumia1

Backseat Developer
Do you like the classic Sonic quadrilogy? Do feel like you're walking down that giant slope in GFZ2? Do you hate having to wait what seems like an eternity while charging a spindash? Do you still just hate Sonic the Hedgehog in race and want him nerfed? Well Classic.wad is back and may be the solution for you!

Classic.wad was originally intended as an answer to the question of "what if Sonic Team Jr. decided to make SRB2 more like the classic games" with some bug fixes as well, and while some of the changes and bugfixes made have even gotten into vanilla (wow!), the main mechanics of Classic.wad such as momentum and slope acceleration still remain unimplemented, and thus why I've ported this to 2.2!

But what does Classic.wad do exactly? Well my dear reader, look in this spoiler for a list of changes from vanilla!
-Removed Thok
If Cobalt's momentum script is anything to go by, it shows that thok is incredibly overpowered when coupled with classic Sonic-style momentum. Sonic now relies much more heavily on those brand new shield abilities added in 2.2. Don't worry though, I plan to give an alternative to the thok in a future update.

-Added momentum and slope acceleration
This allows most of the cast, except for some of the more unique characters that can't keep up, to utilize slopes and build momentum by running down them!

-Increased rolling acceleration on slopes. *NEW!*
This does what it says on the tin, when rolling down a hill, it is now much more noticable that you're speeding up.

-Changed spindash behavior.
Charging up a spindash has been changed to more closely match the mash style of the Genesis games. Hold down spin and repeatedly press Jump to rev the spindash, It only holds 8 charges this time around and unlike the classics, they don't disappear if you don't mash fast enough.

-Added spindash assist *NEW!*
Spindash Assist is a new feature that is like a midway point between vanilla SRB2's behavior and the new button mash version for those who still struggle with mashing due to keyboard layouts. It's turned on by default but veterans of Classic.wad may wish to turn this feature off, and you can do that by typing "SpindashAssist off" in the console whle in a level!

-Allow rolling when landing after using a midair ability
You can now curl up into a ball automatically if you hold spin, regardless of if you've used your ability or not!

-Remove water skipping/Re-enable Full control when jumping out of a roll
While the latter half of this was already partially implemented in vanilla, I still didn't feel it was enough of a change and this still needed to be added.

-Super Sonic can no longer fly *NEW?!*
I don't even know how I managed to pull this off but I did! I had intended to do this prior to 2.2 but 2.2 just sort of did it for me instead. Thank you.

-Every character can turn super
Are you frustrated that even though you completed the game 100%, got all emblems, and got all emeralds as Tails, only to find that he still can't turn super, even with the in-game cheat? Well now everyone can turn super and none of the devs can stop you!

-Added Amy's hammer jump *NEW!*
Do you miss 2.1 Ros-
... Huh? What do you mean that there's already two other scripts in releases that do this? No I haven't tried them! Dang it this thing is supposed to ship tomo-
Umm.. Do you like Sonic Adventure Amy? Here's a hammer jump for you. Hold down Custom Button 1 and press Spin while running to perform a hammer leap! How high you go is directly tied to your momentum!

-Added classic-style spring-falling animation
One of the first additions to this mod when it started. If you fall after jumping on a spring, your animation changes to the run or walk cycle depending on how fast you're going just like in Sonic 1, 2 and 3!

-Buffed Super and Speedshoes acceleration *NEW!*

Here's a giant changelog of all the previous versions I've done!
--v2.2.3--
-Moved the skin blacklist up to be above the stat settings, this way anybody who's not supposed to have momentum/changed stats doesn't.

-Removed JUNIO Sonic support.... I didn't realise the internal skin name had changed as well.

-Fixed the hold spin when landing fix to not interfere with Knuckles' landing animation after gliding

-Reverted spindash behavior to vanilla for Feels

-Modified Boostmode to use vanilla Dashmode as a base, drastically improving performance on levels with high object density. This also means that Dashmode works with all characters (existing and new ones) that use the vanilla Dashmode ability as a base. Metal Knuckles fans rejoice!

-Added AltSonic to the blacklist, there's just too much going on there that I don't wanna deal with

-Knerfed Knuckles, Kno more Knonsense with momentum retaining sheKnanigans using his glide, but his glide still accelerates faster than before.

-Knuckles also no longer swims, thank you to Lach for help with this.

-Boosted cross compatibility with Cross Momentum, if you like the spindash from Classic.wad but enjoy the mechanics of XMomentum, try loading them both at once!

-Since Sonic isn't going to have an ability for a while, I've decided to limit shield abilities to only work with him.

-Changed Attraction Shield to work more like a traditional homing attack in that you can now chain together attacks

-Removed the modularity checks for skins, such as player.isclassic and whatnot, as they weren't really functional anyway. I plan to reimplement these in a better way soon.

--v2.2.2a--
-Reverted a bit of code that changed the spindashing sound left in while testing.

--v2.2.2--
Fixed rings and other non-player objects being able to break spikes just by moving into them. This behavior was a neat effect for rings but it's definitely not intentional.

Fixed Junio Sonic again.

Fixed some issues with bandages like having to charge up his spindash which caused issues with the spindash sound, and other minor annoyances.

Fixed an oversight where rolling would set your player angle instead of draw angle whilst using simple. Simple and Old Analog?? (whenever SRB2 2.2.7 comes out) should now properly use the correct methods for displaying angles while rolling.

--V2.2.1 hotfix--
Fixed a bug where I was dumb and used skins[player.mo.skin].prefcolor instead of player.skincolor making it so that your color online didn't show.

---V2.2---
Fixed unintended speed cap of 70 FU/T that appeared once 2.2 was released, slope acceleration has also been smoothed out. These aren't really noticable changes unless you're looking for them, but it means you'll gain speed even on very gentle slopes and will be able to go the full 120FU/T that you were intended to go as a maximum speed

Fixed Tails Assist becoming unavailable due to an oversight in setting player.mo.dashspeed

Adjusted the way Classic.wad disables thok, now the game checks if you have the thok and only sets your ability to none if that's true. This means you should be able to use more custom abilities with classic.wad.

It turns out Eggman was holding himself back by using a jetpack to propel himself while on the ground, I've given him the ok to use his full running speed on the ground now.

Fixed Silver not gaining speed while rolling down slopes

Fixed Nasya being OP due to stat changes.

De-jankified Amy's hammer leap height cap. She's a bit more broken in certain situations with greater amounts of speed, but she no longer jumps lower the farther above her cap you go.

Removed JunioSonic support

With a lot of help from MOTDSpork, I have recreated dashmode with some modifications because the 2.2.5 patch isn't out yet and who knows when that'll come.
Dashmode now takes 6 seconds of running on the ground to enter, this can be lowered to 1 and a half seconds by collecting more rings. Rings will also boost your acceleration up to 192 . Dashmode now adds a boost to your default speed in addition to any momentum you have. The animations for Metal Sonic's jet fumes were too hard to change and because I'm not using player.dashmode, Neo Sonic won't use those fancy particle effects he gets when entering or leaving dashmode. This will probably be reworked when 2.2.5 releases to use vanilla's dashmode code so that it's compatible with these but I hope you enjoy anyway.

---V2.1---
-Fixed spring animations for good this time. No more walking frames when being launched by a steam vent or carried by a fan.

-Doubled height/speedcap for Amy's hammer jump nerf while super. If that sounds too confusing, she'll now launch way higher when running fast while super.

-Changed spindash revving captions to look cleaner.

----V2.0----
-Updated all characters to use 2.2's new stat set.
Characters all move faster now than they did previously and can all handle slopes properly.

-Increased rolling acceleration

-Made it so that if you're rolling in analog mode, the spin frames now face the direction you're going instead of the direction you're facing.

-Rewrote the entirety of the Spindash code to be more efficient (Thank you Lach for helping on this!)

-Removed redundant features added to vanilla in 2.2, these include:

--CamAdjust, This was added in the form of Cam_Adjust.
I'm very glad that something of mine inspired the devs to implement this feature into the game!

--New Tails AI with functioning flight assist
This was mostly finished but was scrapped at the last minute due to a far superior AI system being implemented in 2.2! This blew what I was working on out of the water!

--FSonic spindash animation
2.2 added the ability for people to easily create their own spindash frames, so I don't need to supply them anymore.

--Reverted spring animation code to previous version
The spring animation at the end of 2.1 wasn't working correctly for all cases, so I've decided to revert it for now and look for a better solution for checking springs in the future.

Attachments

• ezgif-7-fa34fe19d85e.gif
    ezgif-7-fa34fe19d85e.gif
    3.9 MB · Views: 4,880
  • srb20625.gif
    srb20625.gif
    5.8 MB · Views: 3,661
  • ezgif-7-8291ea284a55.gif
    ezgif-7-8291ea284a55.gif
    7.8 MB · Views: 3,067
  • ezgif-7-ab0179869789.gif
    ezgif-7-ab0179869789.gif
    7.6 MB · Views: 2,650
  • srb20626.gif
    srb20626.gif
    6.1 MB · Views: 2,007
  • srb20627.gif
    srb20627.gif
    6.6 MB · Views: 2,537
  • VL_Classic-v2.2.3.zip
    166 KB · Views: 2,049
Last edited:
So I guess we now have three scripts that give a hammer jump, three scripts that give everyone super and two scripts that alter how downward slopes work

The question is do you need them all in one package or are you content just to pick and choose?

A great addition (again). And I have more appreciation for this now that the base levels have huge slopes to run down!

Quadrilogy if we count Sonic and Knuckles and Sonic 3 as 1 game (Sonic 3 & Knuckles)
Sonic CD exists you know

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Also, Insta Shield and Super Peelout will work well with this mod. Also what do you mean "Remove water skipping"... is that when Sonic runs on water? Cause Sonic 3 Hydrocity Zone has that...

Last I remember (I haven't tried this in 2.2) you could roll onto water and you'd bounce off of it similar to Kart but it kept going until you lost almost all speed, and was super annoying.

Also I suppose you could count CD in there, but I was actually thinking of Mania when I wrote "quadrillogy".

bruh moment. Theres a drop dash mod too so we can have drop dash, insta shield, and peelout!

You can remove the hearts if you want, that hitbox is super long lasting, and it has more range than it should. But thats just my opinion.

Last edited:
I still haven't actually tried any of the other Hammer jump mods, and all I know is that while trying to fix the spindash code for 2.2 I found a bug where setting spindash variables led to going super high when Amy used her hammer. So the hammer jump is using the existing code from her normal hammer.

I actually really like this mod! It's super interesting playing around with this, I especially enjoy the ability to charge up the spindash super quick.

Super Mod number 3 now. LOL

This is just Brilliant and not just because of the Super stuff, but because of all the physics tweeks too.

Last edited:
Hi there! It's the Modern Sonic Forces me to update Classic.wad update!

Here's what's new!

------V2.1------

-Fixed spring animations for good this time. No more walking frames when being launched by a steam vent or carried by a fan.

-Doubled height/speedcap for Amy's hammer jump nerf while super. If that sounds too confusing, she'll now launch way higher when running fast while super.

-Changed spindash revving captions to look cleaner.

Not complaining, but i'm surprised noone's complained about thok not being in. It's as if they know you hate it or something.

Not complaining, but i'm surprised noone's complained about thok not being in. It's as if they know you hate it or something.
well i'm boutta change that lmao.
I really don't like the fact that the thok is gone, even if you edit cobalt's momentum mod to give the thok it's vanilla actionspd, it's literally no faster then just doing that "Surfing" thing where you jump as soon as you hit the ground, and surfing is still the better option since its easier to maintain your speed with that. Sonic not having any ability makes him completely useless in this. I'd understand if you'd have given sonic the drop dash or something, but that simply doesn't exist in this version of the mod. The insta-shield is way more useful in 2d where you are actually forced to interact with your enemies, in 3d it's basically pointless most of the time and extremely situational. If you do give him the drop dash, please don't have it be pointy style, make it basically just a thok that puts you into a spin state, aka what mania does, since pointy is being ported to 2.2 anyways.

well i'm boutta change that lmao.
I really don't like the fact that the thok is gone, even if you edit cobalt's momentum mod to give the thok it's vanilla actionspd, it's literally no faster then just doing that "Surfing" thing where you jump as soon as you hit the ground, and surfing is still the better option since its easier to maintain your speed with that. Sonic not having any ability makes him completely useless in this. I'd understand if you'd have given sonic the drop dash or something, but that simply doesn't exist in this version of the mod. The insta-shield is way more useful in 2d where you are actually forced to interact with your enemies, in 3d it's basically pointless most of the time and extremely situational. If you do give him the drop dash, please don't have it be pointy style, make it basically just a thok that puts you into a spin state, aka what mania does, since pointy is being ported to 2.2 anyways.

Rumia's stubborn, they FIRMLY believe the thok is actually stupid and horrible. Just do what I did and remove the "sonic charability = "CA_NONE"" and also the new spindash behavior, like I love the classic games, I loved revving it up, but it doesn't work well in 3D imo unless you can hold DOWN and press jump. Slade is useful :D

Tiny update, not really significant to anything.
Starting now, this mod is no longer going to be marked as reusable. I was hoping by marking the mod as reusable someone would make a map centered around it or make some meaningful modification to it but since that never happened as far as I'm aware, I don't see the point in keeping it like this. If you did by chance use a chunk of this in any work that has already been released on the forums and I wasn't aware, don't worry, you can continue to use it.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back