• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Shut Up and Get On It - That DUMP Ripoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's an IRC channel

Yeah.... Can you send me please address or something?

Because, I don't know how to enter to IRC channel...

---------- Post added at 05:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 AM ----------

You probably missed this; when in doubt, check the opening post~

Click the link in that quote if you have an IRC client installed.

However, when I click the "#sugoi" link, the page of the link got stuck, and not working...

Ok, I installed IRC Client for my windows 7, it's worked.

I clicked the link: "#sugoi" and it opened it in my installed client, and I searched #sugoi channel at the channels, clicked the link in dropbox.

Downloaded.

Thanks guys :)

I have updated my level switched locations of emerald token and ring monitor, made the teleporter to the 2D area more noticable, enemies in the teeth hallway now faces the right way and the slopes at the beginning of the map is gone.

I am going to miss the deadline for the polishing stage but the errors in QCZ are being worked on. Shouldn't take me long if I focus.

It took me until I played sugoi to realize I don't have a level select picture. So instead of nothing, have this level select picture I just made:
38dlngedlrdgvygzg.jpg

Eh, it's nothing. I may not be a participant, but with this being a collab I feel like it should be a given that people offer each other technical assistance and collaboration so that even though this is just supposed to be for quickies and new mappers, everything can have a touch of good production value across the board and really pull the pack together.

That said, give that guy a hurtbox on the front (I suspect a calculation based on the ratio between the player's vertical and horizontal velocity compared to relative positions would work best for this) and he'll be really excellent for minefielding landing points, and very versatile as an edgeguarder. A few scenarios off the top of my head:

• When the drilla is lower than the player, the player generally has the advantage for making a kill, but still faces the issue of visibility (gotta look down) and environmental constraints that may force the player to land with little or no horizontal momentum, making the exact landing point important. Thus, jumping down at a drilla is about either landing far enough away that it can't charge before you have good control of your velocity again or landing -exactly- on top of it to kill.
    • The latter is dramatically harder if it's only slightly lower than the player, because it will start charging before you fall into it, which has to be compensated for based on the exact height involved. If it's much lower however, you'll hit it before it gets going so bouncing it then works just like with a crawla, assuming the hurtbox is properly set up to be forgiving when the player is descending.
    • When descending slopes, the player cannot easily attack or jump over while on it with the drilla below, as the tilt applied to the jump disadvantages trying to land on top. Juking a single drilla in this situation is easier, but faces issues with constraining where they are heading towards which can provide a challenge if there are other hazards to swerve around.
      • Killing in this situation is best accomplished by jumping at the drilla from above the slope, rather than while on it. Missing will penalize the player's efforts to avoid other hazards ahead due to the sudden boost forward, if that boost doesn't throw the player into the drilla itself. While this makes it a high-risk choice, you can still incentivize attempting a kill here by having somewhere to bounce to from that attack, either for extra powerups or avoiding hazards on and beyond the slope (including other drillas).
  • When the drilla is even with the player, they can either jump over it to juke and keep moving, or bait the attack to land on top of it, which is easier than in the descent scenario due to being able to just aim for the charge's stopping point instead of somewhere in the middle.
    • If it's a long jump with the drilla at the end, baiting to kill becomes either hard or impossible, depending on exact range. The player will have to play mastador for a bit if they can't get out of range right away (for example, a small/medium platform whose next jump point is in a different direction) - once the player has their speed under control, then they can go for a kill and will probably have to if they need to do another long jump to leave due to how spammy the charge is.
  • When the drilla is higher than the player, the player is disadvantaged and will always have to deal with being level to the drilla's charge while landing.
    • On slopes you have to mastador out of the way and keep climbing. Jumping over is usually impossible, and depending on incline it might not be possible to jump back from a higher point in the slope to kill, either. Once the player has scaled the slope, he probably doesn't care enough to unless there's somewhere to bounce to.
      • There's a hypothetical sweet spot to this for each character where juking it while still moving forward won't put you fully out of range of the next charge, forcing you to swerve while climbing the slope to avoid being hit. The player will probably not do this if the walkway is broad enough to completely avoid the drilla, however, but in those cases they can be treated just as area hazards.
    • When using the drilla to edgeguard, it acts much the same way as a crawla does in that same role, save for that it can be baited off the edge and effectively has a larger hitbox FOR edgeguarding if the player ascends with little horizontal momentum (such as from a nearby vertical spring) due the player not being able to move left/right quickly to avoid the charge.
      • If the spring has the player peak above the drilla where it can pass under them, the normal edgeguarding situation is reversed - the player wants to be CLOSE to the edgeguarding drilla to make them charge underneath the player and off the edge before the landing, rather than closing in and charging during the landing.
        • There is a hypothetical sweetspot height for where hitting a yellow springshell will put you at the "get close to them" height, and hitting that same yellow spring while the springshell is dead does not.
      • As with any edgeguarding situation, the drilla should be clearly visible before you jump or spring up so the player knows where to aim.
        • ...but making an extremely narrow ledge where you spring up blind to have them dash under you is a good way to introduce the new edgeguarding dynamic. Consider having a visual marker to say whether the spring peaks even with the drilla, above it, or in the spring-shell sweetspot.
      • Naturally, edgeguarding springs does not actually require the hurtbox to work, so you can do stuff like that right away.
  • When not constrained by the environment, the player will either stay out of range (if slow) or just inside of it (if fast) to juke, or bait the charge to kill. If the player gets in range unexpectedly, they will optimally try to get out of range first due to the spammy-ness of the charge, before avoiding or killing as above.
  • When constrained by a ledge, there is a "close but no cigar" penalty for judging the drilla's range, as being in the outer area of its range will place you closer to its ledge, and thus will have more of your rings fall off assuming you aren't knocked off the ledge yourself.

...Well, that analysis turned out longer than I was expecting. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Let me know the problem details and I can fix 'em before release, provided you want it to be included. SUGOI's release isn't under any pressure to go by any means.

EDIT: Tested with TehRealSalt, script is fixed, check the previous link for the changed version.

Last edited:
Let me know the problem details and I can fix 'em before release, provided you want it to be included. SUGOI's release isn't under any pressure to go by any means.

EDIT: Tested with TehRealSalt, script is fixed, check the previous link for the changed version.

Scripts works, but I made a little adjustment to make the new hit box more bearable. (I cut the angle in half)

I also tossed in a few more climbable walls
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jid2bm6i6bmq53/SC_Skytop_Gamma03.wad?dl=0

Check the script again. On Prime's request I've made the drill hitbox have a vertical angle limit as well, which should make you less likely to want the drill hitbox shrunk horizontally.

EDIT: Prime's got some refined angle constants, you should use his - and listen to his advice about debuffing the dash.

Last edited:
Scripts works, but I made a little adjustment to make the new hit box more bearable. (I cut the angle in half)

I also tossed in a few more climbable walls
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jid2bm6i6bmq53/SC_Skytop_Gamma03.wad?dl=0
Ah, sorry, that script was incomplete and didn't account for vertical angle, so you couldn't jump on it. Here's a more complete version:
Code:
freeslot("MT_NEODRILLA") // don't slot this in SOC to prevent duplication

addHook("TouchSpecial", function(mo, pmo)
    local angh = (R_PointToAngle2(mo.x, mo.y, pmo.x, pmo.y) - mo.angle)/ANG1
    local angv = (R_PointToAngle2(0, mo.z, FixedHypot(pmo.x - mo.x, pmo.y - mo.y), pmo.z))/ANG1
    if ((-22 < angh) and (angh < 22) // this line will break in 2.2, since angles lose their signedness... ask me for help porting when it comes out
    and (-30 < angv) and (angv < 30) // ditto
    and not (pmo.player.powers[pw_invulnerability])
    and not (pmo.player.powers[pw_super]))
        P_DamageMobj(pmo, mo, mo)
        return true
    end
end, MT_NEODRILLA)

addHook("MobjThinker", function(mo)
    if (S_SoundPlaying(mo, sfx_drill1) or S_SoundPlaying(mo, sfx_drill2)) return end

if not mo.target
        if mo.start
            mo.start = 0
        end
        return
    end

if mo.start
        S_StartSound(mo, sfx_drill2)
    else
        S_StartSound(mo, sfx_drill1)
        mo.start = 1
    end
end, MT_NEODRILLA)
As this drilla can be killed by jumping on it (you just have to hit it from the top, or close to 45 degrees), you can revert the dash distance to what it was before with it still being fair - in fact, it'll be easier to hit it since the old charge distance could be jumped on to from a standstill.

Other differences in utility as the result of the dash distance:

• The drilla is now less forgiving as an edgeguard, as it can strike reliably from a larger distance. Its projectile arc when going off a ledge will also be flatter, meaning that more clearance is required for the spring to put you above the charge.
  • The drilla is now less effective as a platform guard, since he'll run off ledges more easily.
  • Landing in the drilla's range is now less hazardous, as he can't spam charges. This was the most distinctive part of the badnik, so I'm kinda sad to see it go - the effect is now one-and-done, essentially, rather than being a longer-lasting complication to whatever you needed to do around the drilla. Slope ascent around them is also less interesting, since there's no chance of forcing a swerve pattern off of a single drilla.
...Yeah, I just really prefer the old JAB through JAB7 dash distance, lol.

EDIT: Yes, the alterations are toaster's work.

Last edited:
After trying out the more complete script, I'm not really noticing much of a difference performance wise.

Edit: Skytop update avaiable with the new lua.

Reminder, Specail thanks to Prime 2.0 and Toaster for the lua codes
It doesn't make anything run faster, the completed script just makes it so you can jump on the drilla if you hit it from a high angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back