Resource icon

Legacy Flame The Dragon v3.1

Logan8r

Logan8r#3805
(We are currently working a respite and rework so this will be outdated soon)

My sister and I wanted to try making a character wad so we decided to use our OC Flame the Dragon

• The wad: Logan8r
  • All the sprites: my sister Artbunny
  • Blaze wad used as a base: .Luke
  • Help with Lua: SRB2 Scripting Discord
  • The Flame Aura an awesome Re-Useable skill: Timeos' Treasurebox (https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=46385)
  • Boss Health bar graphics: K.S.
  • Hinote passive skills: Alice and Timeos

Collecting rings will charge up her Aura Bar, when it's full press Custom 1 to begin tossing fire at your enemies.
Boost Mode and Jump Boost, allows her to reach great heights if she can gain enough Speed.
She also has Fire Immunity and can Leave a fire trail while rolling.
Her downside is that she has low acceleration, leaving her weak to water and quicksand.

Supporters / CoAuthors

Attachments

• srb20014.gif
    srb20014.gif
    3.9 MB · Views: 4,136
  • srb20013.gif
    srb20013.gif
    2.3 MB · Views: 3,423
  • srb20142.jpg
    srb20142.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 2,287
  • srb20028.gif
    srb20028.gif
    3.1 MB · Views: 1,358
  • VCL_FlameTheDragon-v3.1.zip
    179.7 KB · Views: 1,790
Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly a neat character idea! At first she seems a little limited in what she can do, especially in slower, more twisty areas, but it's clear she has a lot of potential in the hands of someone skilled at keeping up her momentum, especially when it comes to platforming and more open areas.

One small note - on her character select page, there's a typo where "guard" is misspelled as "gaurd".

Nice OC! She looks great! ^^ I will test her after work.

Edit: I've just played the main campaign with her. I like how the control feels generally. Her low acceleration and decceleration killed me sometimes XD, but it's ok.

I'm going to suggest you something and notice you a bug i've found.

The suggestion is: When she skids it would be awesome if the dust particle is replaced by flame. Like when you skid with Elemental Shield.
And the bug is (I don't know if this is intentional): When Brak Eggman shoots you with the Flamethrower it hurts you.

Last edited:
For some reason, her design reminds me of both Elise from '06 and Lilac from Freedom Planet at the same time.
But honestly, I enjoy her unique playstyle with her more momentum-based gameplay, but I feel like her acceleration is too low, so more cramped-areas make her un-fun to play.
Keep up the good work though!

Hold up! This file has an error in the filename, it has a lua script active so the maps prefix should be VCL_ instead. So the final filename should be VCL_FlameTheDragon-v1.wad instead. Given that this is already out in releases I won't put it back in submissions now, but I recommend you fix this as soon as you can instead. (perhaps fixed alongside the typo that Telnaior pointed out and make this a v2 instead)

Just did a full all emeralds playthrough as this character, it was fun! Your sister did a good job with the sprites, it's always a treat to see a character released with a fully unique sprite set. Also, I noticed those asymmetrical horns warranting more artwork, that's extra work you could have sneakily gotten away with not doing and it's appreciated that you actually put in the effort to make that consistent.

The slow acceleration made Deep Sea Zone feel more like Mud Ocean Zone and I got stuck at one point and had to use a retry because her low acceleration got her stuck on a slope against a wall I couldn't spindash up, which isn't ideal but otherwise this worked fine.

Red Volcano is very silly when you're immune to almost everything in the stage, and I wasn't aware the immunity to fire would carry over into Special Stage 6 which was a surprise, but funny when I found out so it's all good.

Brak had a goofy inconsistency where his flamethrower hurt you, but not the flames they left behind. And the fire immunity this character has apparently made themselves immune to Brak's electricity shield too.

All in all though, this was a fun character! The slow accel but much higher jump after building up some speed changed how I approached a lot of scenarios and that's a sign it did something right gameplay wise.

Haven't had time to do a playthrough with her, but I really like her design! One issue though is that her fireproof ability thingy doesn't seem to work when loaded alongside tails guy for whatever reason, not a huge issue though.

This character is awesome! I hope someone makes a speedrun of Red Volcano with her. Between her jump boost, her dash mode and her immunity to fire and lava, she can just FLY all over the place in that level.

I enjoyed playing as her, but I'm still feeling uneasy about her lack of a midair ability
The low accel is just the perfect balancing to her Jump Boost and Dash Mode c:

I'd like to give her a midair ability but I don't know what would work best for her, also I'd need help with the Lua.

Maybe a move like sonic's stomp from colors, generations, ect that allows you to keep your momentum after the fall if you're holding a W,A,S, or D, but kills all momentum if none are held?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back