SRB2MD: Alpha 2.1(.420) is out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lat'

Absolute territory where
Kart Krew™️
502584PokemonMysteryDungeonLogo.png

After a little week of work, without EVEN LAUNCHING TF2 :C I finally managed to get this "done" for you guys!

SRB2 (notso) MYSTERY DUNGEON is here!
(Notso is actually here because stages are not that "mysterious", after all. X)

It sure may be a little too soon for this, but here it is!
Anyway, what does it features...?

Multiplayer support!
Go ahead and host your server! I dare you to try to do those two things at once.
1. Change your Skin to S/T/K
2. Try to chat using the game's with your friends.
3. If you ever come to do it, I will give you alpha 3.0 1 second before its release.

Play as Dum- I mean Sylveon!
Why? Don't you like sprite rips?

PMD-esque mechanics (HPs, Hunger, XP...)

Everything works like in PMD!
You have a Health meter that you have to keep above 1/3... I will let you know why... But also a Hunger one, this one HAS to be over 0, if it ever comes to 0, you will start losing HPs every second until you eat something (Apples), and plus, as attacks (like Tackle) uses Hunger as "fuel", you cannot use them!
Without forgetting the level up mechanics, you have to collect the ammount of XP (shown on the screen if that matters) to grow levels, everytime you level up, you get HPs (at least 15) and you learn a new move (At least level 2 does).

Dumbplacholders, dumbplaceholders everywhere!
Every "custom" made item here has a placeholder sprite sheet (The only exception being the first miniboss.), just because I SUCK AT DOING SPRITES :P (and drawing in general.)

Three Levels!
And th- I mean two bosses!

Here is the list of the known bug for this release, if that matters for you, young bug reporter...

-When you start a stage, and that you have leveled up before starting this stage, the levelup sound plays at the begining.

-At the second Action Stage, a grass ledge sinks in a wall after activating the switch, near the level's exit.

-Spamming QuickAttack and Moonblast may somtimes repeat it endlessly and drain your hunger at Mach3. In 1.0, it used to give you a negative hunger value. If that ever happens, press SPIN again to cancel the attack immediately!

You might also know this but non-recommanded resolutions are gonna make the HUD look like crap, so please, play OpenGL or with a recommended resolution (1280x720, for instance) for a better experience.

Also, here are some screenshots, down in attachements to show you those beautiful levels. I won't spoil you about anything else, don't worry!

OMG UPDATE:
Fixed! The Tackle script has been replaced with a new one, based on MotdSpork's slide script. (brb adding him in credits), and has no more exploits. However, you can still spam it.
Fixed! Giratina now sees the player EVERY FUCKIN TIME!
Fixed! The player spawned with a crazy ammount of HPs and Hunger.
Fixed! The musics are now in the .ogg format, reducing a lot the size of the file (-4 MBs!)
Fixed! The whole Lua script was bullshit. Thanks to e'L-J'ay Saownicku! (LJ Sonik)
Fixed! Bunch of other crap that I don't remember.

New! SRB2MD now supports Multiplayer with maps made for it! They have more enemies, items, and Big Apples always respawn.
New! Sylveon's sprites were improved a bit, and can now change color for Multiplayer!
New! Added another action stage. This one yet has to be extended for further versions, but this is not my main thing to do for the moment.
New! The XP neeeded in order to level was up was decreased a lot, as the HPs gained every level.
New! Active Move! When you will learn MoonBlast, you can press the CUSTOM1 button to change the move performed with SPIN
New! MoonBlast has been replaced with a whole new projectile atttack, and costs 30 Hunger Points instead of previously 50.
New! Added an unlockable for "Kicking Giratina's ass" (It's irrevelent tough.)

SPECIAL THANKS
Zipper and gregory_house For helping with the HP script.
semi.colon for the Hunger gimmick (One of the most important thing of this mod.)
Ors for the "dumb" miniboss sprites
LJ Sonik for fixing my Lua (I mean he remade everything.)
MotdSpork for the QuickAttack script (from modernabilities.wad)

Attachments

• srb20080.jpg
    srb20080.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 3,014
  • srb20081.jpg
    srb20081.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 2,410
  • sc_SRB2MysteryDungeonA2.1.rar
    17.3 MB · Views: 3,041
Last edited:
The boss SHOULD be fixed and see properly the player, I modified its pattern a bit, and fixed some other glitches such as he HP bar not displaying on some conditions, and missing grass ledges.
Anyway It would be a good thing for you to redownload the .rar and test out to see if nothing else gone wrong.

Last edited:
Very nice, very nice indeed. I really did enjoy the gameplay changed from this, although I may be biased from my love for the Mystery Dungeon series :P. My only issues were that I remember music not looping properly at least once. the second level really gave me some apple starvation (I really wanted to kill all the enemies, although this might be intentional), and that it seemed by the time I actually got to level 2 and therefore got the 2nd move, it wasn't actually useful because it was after the second boss. Because you go back to the final level again straight after it, I couldn't even go back through the levels to try it. I'd be happy to release this in its current state though because it all works.

Yay.
The second move is rather useful to get rid of multi-hitpoints enemies (Like the RedCrawlas you encounter in the Robot House) but it's sure that with only two levels to play with for the moment, this move is rather useless.
I'm glad you liked the mod anyway. ^^

I should've just make the game start credits after that boss so you can play the levels again without having to restart the game at Lv1.
Anyway, I'm gonna work on the last level of this "first zone"

EDIT: Concerning music loop, I don't know how to do it, seriously :/

Last edited:
This is actually quite fun to play, despite being just a few levels and t- I mean one boss battle. The levels were quite linear, though that's probably to keep this from turning into a "Where the heck am I supposed to go?" type mod, but, still could be just a little less linear. Oh, and some sound effects were still Sonic, but could have been replaced, say, by the sound effects from Mystery Dungeon. Overall, it's a great start to a mod which hopefully gets future updates. BTW, is the current final b- I mean level supposed to loop after beating it?

Last edited:
Hehe, I dare you to find a sound that can replace the jump in those.
I was unable to find the sounds I needed (When you are hungry, pick an object, etc...)
So I decided to leave SRB2's regular sounds. The final level that endlessly loops is a developmment leftover I didn't notice, it will get to credits for the next version.

About linear levels, keep in mind those are just the two first levels you play in the game.
Hhow did you find the last b- I mean level btw?

This is actually quite fun to play, despite being just a few levels and t- I mean one boss battle. The levels were quite linear, though that's probably to keep this from turning into a "Where the heck am I supposed to go?" type mod, but, still could be just a little less linear. Oh, and some sound effects were still Sonic, but could have been replaced, say, by the sound effects from Mystery Dungeon [see attached folder]. Overall, it's a great start to a mod which hopefully gets future updates. BTW, is the current final b- I mean level supposed to loop after beating it?

I agreed with the damned maze level desing which is even worse with those hunger mechanics which i will just scrap them completly...

Hehe, I dare you to find a sound that can replace the jump in those.
I was unable to find the sounds I needed (When you are hungry, pick an object, etc...)
So I decided to leave SRB2's regular sounds. The final level that endlessly loops is a developmment leftover I didn't notice, it will get to credits for the next version.

About linear levels, keep in mind those are just the two first levels you play in the game.
Hhow did you find the last b- I mean level btw?
About the Levels, I totally understand. For jumping SFX, you could use the ledge-hopping sound from the main series Pokémon games. And when I said the final level, I meant the last playable one. Maybe you're hinting that I could go see what have planned ahead.... Not Likely.

HMHM, If I ever wanted to make more labyrinthic levels, keep in mind that there are respawning variants of Apples which respawn 10 secs after collecting them (used in the last level), and note that Hunger will never KILL you itself, it always lets you a single HP so an enemy has to finish the job (unlike the true PMD where the Hunger can actually kill you.)

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Floral Road Zone 2.5!

More seriously, this is the level that will come right after the jungle one
(Y'know, to make a logic transition)
And don't friggin' tell me it's too dark, it's SOFTWARE WITH MINIMAL BRIGHTNESS RIGHT THERE!

It will come with Multiplayer support and various fixes from reported bugs (If there come to be some.)

Wow! The day I came back to SRB2 I saw there's a new wad with my sprites.(Thanks for giveng them use!)

This review concerns only the first two acts because I haven't passed the first boss yet. (i don't get it)

It is a gret idea to use apples and candies for hunger and lives! I think the apples should give a little bit less food thoug. It was also fun to look for the invisibility candies. Then find as many crawlas as you can in 20 secs. =)

The boss moves (Thanks for using the textures too) look like they're taken from Heaven Ascend Crawla boss. Glad you still saved player from its glue =) I have a question though: When should I hit the boss? sometimes I hit it and sometimes it hits me. Is there a luckless way to beat it?

Wow! The day I came back to SRB2 I saw there's a new wad with my sprites.(Thanks for giveng them use!)

This review concerns only the first two acts because I haven't passed the first boss yet. (i don't get it)

It is a gret idea to use apples and candies for hunger and lives! I think the apples should give a little bit less food thoug. It was also fun to look for the invisibility candies. Then find as many crawlas as you can in 20 secs. =)

The boss moves (Thanks for using the textures too) look like they're taken from Heaven Ascend Crawla boss. Glad you still saved player from its glue =) I have a question though: When should I hit the boss? sometimes I hit it and sometimes it hits me. Is there a luckless way to beat it?

EDIT2: Oh so it's THAT boss, it is vulnerable only few seconds, you can know when it's vulnerable, it's totally opaque and not moving.

EDIT: Glad to see you again Ors, I thought you were dead since all this time! X)

Last edited:
EDIT2: Oh so it's THAT boss, it is vulnerable only few seconds, you can know when it's vulnerable, it's totally opaque and not moving.

EDIT: Glad to see you again Ors, I thought you were dead since all this time! X)

That explains a lot. Now I have got farther and the hunger is even bigger challenge.

That explains a lot. Now I have got farther and the hunger is even bigger challenge.

Hunger is a challenge only if you want to farm XP points, as you take more time and use Tackle, which drains some hungerpoints.
I placed Apples a little "everywhere" so the player shouldn't be in trouble with the Hunger (at least for those levels)

I had fun romping around as a Sylveon and tackling the everlasting turds out of Crawlas, though I do have to admit you have to grind pretty hard in order to level up (though I will admit abusing invincibility for more experience was pretty smart). I think the score amount you require could be set lower, possibly to 10000 instead of 30000.

Also, about your HP and Hunger slowly draining down to the value it should be, you can change this so that it's set to whatever the max currently is instead.

Code:
//You can't get more than the max HP value, 9999/20 is not a thing there!
addHook("ThinkFrame", do
	if not active.value return end

for player in players.iterate
		if not player.mo continue end

if player.mo.health > player.maxhp
			player.health = [B]player.maxhp[/B]
			player.mo.health =[B] player.maxhp[/B]

This effectively makes it so that if you're over the maximum HP, you're automatically set to whatever max HP that variable is set to. For hunger, all you really had to do was make it so that if it was over 100 to set it back to 100 again and you're golden.

Code:
	if (player.hunger > 100) //No more than 100, too easy else.
		player.hunger = [B]100[/B]
	end

Thanks, I added this to the script and it will come with the next release :P

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

This level is having some progress...

Code:
"ThinkFrame"
ThinkFrame? Who even uses ThinkFrame anymore? Use MobjThinker instead, which is what's recommended by Monster Iestyn, the guy who's really sad he accidentally taught everyone to use ThinkFrame instead of MobjThinker (unless I remember wrong). (Just changing ThinkFrame to MobjThinker probably won't work, though.)

Something dramatic happened between you and ThinkFrame, right? X)

Anyway I use it just because that's how I learnt to Lua, Jasper just copypasted the script that was in the file and modified things in there, that's why there's a ThinkFrame, if that bothers you that much.

Nope, nothing dramatic happened between me and ThinkFrame, but Monster Iestyn said it's way better, performance-wise, to use MobjThinker. Maybe a 100 (optimized) ThinkFrame scripts would cause a 5-frame-per-second drop (from 35 to 30), even though maybe a 1000 (optimized) MobjThinker scripts would also only cause a 5-frame-per-second drop on the same computer. I don't know how big the performance difference is, but when Iestyn says he's so sad/sorry/regretful (don't remember which) about accidentally showing off ThinkFrame to everyone instead of MobjThinker, followed by a ":(", it's probably something to consider.

This trap is dangerous, RIGHT, RIGHTTTTT?!

NaiveRigidChicken.gif

(More seriously, it adds walls in other sections too, making them more tedious to deal with. the other button that will be required to open the bo- I mean the door that leads to the next area adds even more walls if you have already pressed the button shown in the gif, else, it just adds some.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back