[Open Assets] Sunset Isle Zone Act 1

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeventhSentinel

In charge of way less than you might think
Administrator
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
Formerly known as Seaside Valley Zone, this island-themed stage features plenty of platforming, scenery, and secrets. It has three emblems to find and three to earn in Record Attack mode. Try to get them all!

The large-ish file size is due to the addition of custom graphics and audio.

Special thanks to all level testers.

Attachments

• srb20029.png
    srb20029.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,103
  • srb20028.png
    srb20028.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,327
  • srb20030.png
    srb20030.png
    187 KB · Views: 1,083
  • srb20031.png
    srb20031.png
    131 KB · Views: 913
  • srb20032.png
    srb20032.png
    60 KB · Views: 865
  • srb20033.png
    srb20033.png
    153.7 KB · Views: 818
  • srb20034.png
    srb20034.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 788
  • scr_SunsetIsle1.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 1,256
Last edited:
I like this level as a general matter, especially the atmosphere you've created with the music and colormap, but some areas are a bit too open and empty, and it's not very clear which way you're supposed to go. I tried to exit through the wrong tunnel in the room with the river, for example. (Maybe you could apply a current effect to it to make it clear to the player which way it's flowing.) The cave sections don't have a lot of visual detail, but a few sector-based bumps or ridges in the rock could help with that.

Also, there's an extra life in the final room that I don't think Sonic can jump high enough to reach. See the attached screenshot.

Attachments

• srb20010.png
    srb20010.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 640
Huh, a generally okay level. The music's kinda weird though. It's good for a first generic beach level in a mod or something. Good job.

I like this level as a general matter, especially the atmosphere you've created with the music and colormap, but some areas are a bit too open and empty, and it's not very clear which way you're supposed to go. I tried to exit through the wrong tunnel in the room with the river, for example. (Maybe you could apply a current effect to it to make it clear to the player which way it's flowing.) The cave sections don't have a lot of visual detail, but a few sector-based bumps or ridges in the rock could help with that.

Also, there's an extra life in the final room that I don't think Sonic can jump high enough to reach. See the attached screenshot.

I believe that's done on purpose, as there's a whirlwind shield in the underwater area before that.

The level isn't too bad... however, it's clear from a visual standpoint that you're not an architect. ;)

You've got a good choice of textures, but what you really need is more sector-based scenery. Make rocks, nonlevel ground, and different kinds of structures. It'll make it look less like a basic room in a videogame and more... alive.

You seem to have the basics down, gameplay-wise. Keep at it.

This is beautiful place and very good for the first act. Those textures fit to each other and it makes this relaxing to play.
But are you serious obut the time challenge? 50 secs. I did it in 0:33.74 as Sonic: Lump

Wow, that time is...incredible. 49 seconds was literally the best I or the other speedrun tester could do. Nice Crawla bouncing :P
On a similar note, how does the score requirement hold up?

Expect an update soon-ish. I'm working on graphical/auditory enhancements. By that, I mean I've made new textures and composed new music. Here's one area where the new textures are used.
N6rBOto.png

I also intend to rename the level again, but I've done that too many times already, so the level by itself will be called Sunset Isle. If I make more levels and put this in the level pack, it will be given a new name.
The score and time requirements will also be more challenging. I've gotten a score as high as 140000 and Ors passed the time requirement with flying colors, so that's why.
Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Genuine Advice, change the sunflowers. They look stock, maybe a slight recolor would help them blend into the new textured environment.

Other than that champ, looks great.

Actually, if you want to, you can Crawla bounce into it. It's not that difficult, given the amount of Crawlas in the last room.

Updates postponed until Act 2 is at least half-done.

The special stages seem to be broken. Upon grabbing the emerald token and clearing the level, I get taken to FFZ and turn into Super Sonic, only no title card shows up and there seems to be no NIGHTS path, with the directional buttons moving you strangely on the X and Z axes while teleporting you to a set location upon hitting anything.

That's because the level is missing a NiGHTS header. Without it it messes up. I discovered this during testing of Emerald Lake act 2. The other solution is to erase everything but the level headders.

wad%20sonic%20bounce%201up.gif

Simple problems call for simple solutions.

Did you see those totem poles next to the wall? Have you tried climbing them?

Genuine Advice, change the sunflowers. They look stock, maybe a slight recolor would help them blend into the new textured environment.

Other than that champ, looks great.

why was this guy banned other than an obvious fail at criticizing?

why was this guy banned other than an obvious fail at criticizing?

That sounded like a legitimate visual criticism. If an object doesn't blend in too well, it should be changed or removed. And even then, nobody would ban someone for poor criticism. It's most likely something else they've done prior to this that influenced the decision and this was just the message chosen to ban said person on.

He was banned for ban evasion. If we were infracting a particular post for breaking the rules, it would say what he did instead of "instant permban".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back