About ringslinger in SRB2...

ItzJodyyy

A Transient Era
Now I am not entirely sure if this is true but, I have heard some rumors about Ringslinger being removed in 2.3 onward. Just wanted to say that, if it does, will it ever come back? Like as a separate game just like Mega Man 8-bit deathmatch? or someone could actually code it back to 2.3? like damn, Ringslinger used to be one of the more popular gamemodes back in the 1.09.4-2.0 days...ish? but now, it is pretty much almost dead at this point and Battle mode is gonna take over instead. Not saying that Battle's bad but, it would be great for Ringslinger to survive and sustain its recognition somehow.

Ringslinger netgames are a pretty rare sight nowadays—none of STJr even play it anymore. It's kind of silly to maintain design, maps, and code for gametypes that we have no interest in, and we figure that the character ability and movement changes we're thinking about will drive away the last of the nostalgic Match players. Those people can always use 2.2.x or an older version of SRB2 to play ringslinger with a group of friends if they want (or bring it back via Lua! The base mechanics of Match aren't too difficult to make with a script). We'd rather shift our focus to making campaign content for SRB2 without worrying about multiplayer content holding us back!

EDIT: Realized my wording wasn't the best—to be clear, we aren't removing all of the multiplayer gametypes, we're reevaluating what we want the multiplayer experience in SRB2 to be. The general opinion among developers is that Match as it is now isn't likely to make it into in the next major version of the game.

Last edited:
But will Battle be introduced instead? Or will it still have to be another addon?
EDIT: Probably not, since the Battle mod is already an addon, and if it's not reusable, borrowing it would not be a good idea.

Probably not, since the Battle mod is already an addon, and if it's not reusable, borrowing it would not be a good idea.

Considering the fact that it was made by a developer, there are high chances for BattleMod to replace ringslinger.

Considering the fact that it was made by a developer, there are high chances for BattleMod to replace ringslinger.

Just to avoid getting anyone's hopes up, the odds of BattleMod becoming official are pretty unlikely. This has less to do with the suitability of the gameplay for vanilla, and more to do with the amount of infrastructure that would be necessary to work BattleMod into the default game. Imagine the upkeep, the control setups, and resources that are already necessary to maintain the extinct game mode that is ringslinger -- we're talking special moves, unique item mechanics, collision physics, and game modes in addition to the extra amount of maps that would need to be included to the game to accomodate Battle game modes. This is not counting extra-specialized mechanics like Egg Robo Tag, which essentially hijacks the player mechanics in order to accomplish even more gametype-specific stuff.

It is more realistic to simply add onto our existing hardcode + lua framework to make it easier for content creators to update unofficial mods for future versions of SRB2. Any community mods that do make it in would likely be vetted partly on the basis of how difficult it would be to update and maintain its content.

Not likely, by Cobalt's own words. Though anything may change, who knows?

I really enjoyed ringslinger in the 1.09 and 2.0 era. Nowadays I can never hit anyone. Maybe I'm out of practice; although I like to think it's the increased popularity of Tails, Knuckles and Fang. :)

But I hope ringslinger stays part of SRB2 in some form because:
1. It's a fun salute to Doom.
2. It's a great mode for beginning level designers if they don't feel comfortable jumping into large campaign-style levels.

As it is now, automatic, bounce and grenade rings (plus the busy work of adding in emerald spawn points) put a lot of pressure on the level designer. If you increased the speed of tossed rings; eliminated emeralds; eliminated ammo; eliminated the bounce and grenade rings; and adjusted the automatic ring to fire multiple shots per ring... Then I think players of any skill and any character could enjoy ringslinger mode.

Not really sad to see ringslnger go, but if battlemod isn't making it in, it'll be weird to imagine an SRB2 with no PvP combat whatsoever.

Not sure I understand the part about the stuff battlemod requires to be kept up to date though. Doesn't ringslinger have a lot of the same issues? Obviously they're very different gamemodes and I can see why battlemod would require more modification to something built on the doom engine, but it's also really good. I've had more fun with that mode than I ever did with the FPS modes, and the fact that it works perfectly with 2.2's new control setup makes it feel more like a part of the game than ringslinger ever did.

I'd rather see ringslinger be like circuit mode in that it's there if we really want it, but we have to provide the maps ourselves. And preferably, I'd like to see ringslinger be avaiable for single player too without the need for pandora's box.

I do hope for what Glaber's saying personally, but if the mechanic ends up broken by physics redesigns and code refactors I don't think anyone will want to rebuild it.

I think it's a lack of a major update for the ringslinger, which hasn't happened since 2.0 era. In fact, I feel that the Ringslinger is very poorly adapted to the new gameplay of 2.2, if you compare it with the previous versions of SRB2. I think the gameplay of versions prior to 2.2 is better suited to this mode and makes it less nerfed and buttery.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back