Ever composed music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I'm trying to learn how to make digital music, but I've come to a standstill in my current piece. Usually I don't like to release things until I think they're 'perfect', but I think that's been holding me back. To my fellow composers and musicians, advice for how to improve would be greatly appreciated! Anything that you think could help me improve this! (Comments are welcome too, of course)

Boss Battle - Rendezvous at the Cape Video Game Version

Background Info and Original Version
So that actually isn't the first version of this piece! It was originally an orchestral piece, with mostly the same melody. I envisioned it as a boss battle where an old friend (love interest?) turns against you, and their psyche begins to fall apart. As the song continues, memories of past times with them weave in and out of your memory, and the character's theme (a tango) is weaved into the battle melody. The warning sounds that are present become stronger as the old friend finally loses all trace of their former self, and so the battle against your lost friend truly begins.)

I suppose I should include the original version, so you guys can hear where it came from. Here's the orchestral version. I tried playing cello in this version, you'll know when it comes in because there's vibrato. It sounds pretty disgusting and out of tune, I will re-record the cello part later.

Boss Battle - Rendezvous at the Cape ORCHESTRAL VERSION BETA

Last edited:
Didn't plan on doing this, but somehow ended up recreating Green Hill Zone from scratch. Notes by ear, instruments by generation. Not perfect, but closeish (excuse the lack of mixing/mastering)...The melody instrument is especially incorrect...oh well. I originally was just going to figure out how to make the instrument sounds for chiptune practice, but then ended up remaking all of Green Hill.

Next plan is to use these instruments to create an original piece. Green Hill Zone is a pretty high standard to try and beat, so I'm hoping to create something at least 80% as enjoyable.

BBATeGv.png

Last edited:
Hey, neat! Some critiques to help improve your instruments:

I think the "brass" sound you use for the intro is supposed to be a different instrument from the one you use for the end of the loop. Keep the latter part the same, but change the former one to have the following qualities:
* Has a slower decay
* Has a very brief flat accidental at the start of each note

The square wave should decay.

The lead synth:
* Should have instant attack and instant release
* Should have decay and slightly reduced sustain (but still close to max). This makes it so that the instrument has some "punch" but still lingers.
* I think the lead is also supposed to have a slight delay on its vibrato, if you can program that in.

Your "strings" instrument should be split into two separate synths panned on opposite sides to the listener. This gives it a similar "chorus" effect to the original chiptune and should make it sound less tinny.

Thanks for the tips, Blue! I have a couple questions...

Brass Sound
I attempted to stick that very brief accidental in at the start of the notes, but it didn't sound quite right...almost as if the pitch was sliding extremely quickly, rather than a separate note itself. Maybe the slower decay would help make it sound more accurate? Also, I think it might be a sharp accidental (I thought it was flat at first too).

Lead Synth
* Instant attack/delay/sustain - YES. This is what was bugging me the most. I wasn't quite sure what was wrong with the sound, but this definitely sounds right.
* Delayed Vibrato - Yeah, I can get that in there.

Strings
Did you mean the instrument that walks up the scale at 0:26? There are actually two currently panned at 100% left and 100% right, but they still sound really wimpy, any idea on what might help?

Brass: A sharp accidental would mean that it's rising up to the note you want. It's definitely a flat accidental. Not sure what else to suggest.

Strings: Well, I think the attack on strings is probably supposed to be slower (maybe shorter release as well), but that's probably not the main issue. It might be a problem with the dynamics of the base wave instrument, then. Try adding a bit of frequency modulation to your oscillators so that it twists the harmonics around.

A very brief flat accidental at the start of each note

Brass: A sharp accidental would mean that it's rising up to the note you want. It's definitely a flat accidental.

Ah, I was assuming by "flat accidental" you meant a step down from the desired note (ex. brief Ab -> A). Never heard it worded that way before.

TBH I'm crap with terminology. The reason why I worded it that way is because I looked it up and that's what Wikipedia says. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back